Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Well, I Rejected my White P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Add it all up and the root cause is Elon is just not a very good manager.

I guess when Mary Barra (GM), Ralf Speth (Jaguar), Oliver Blume (Porsche) can crank out and sell 10,000 Bolts, iPace's and Taycans per week - we can officially say Elon has had his ass handed to him.

Any number of ICE cars do not count, and since they all have around a 100 year head start on Tesla they shouldn't have any excuses.

Reactions: Cowby
Found out the car was a reject car. When I called tesla they asked for the vin, and had someone elses name "Raul". Then they were like oh sorry that's the previous owner, you bought a used car right?

What? No!

Must have been the first person to reject it. I wonder if it has already been repainted once or maybe they took it home and damage the doors then returned it? I dunno...

Fingers still crossed that the service center can fix all the alignment issues, the door that has to be slammed and the paint.

Interesting to see that they replaced my originally rejected car with another reject car. I'm starting to think the one I got is worse since the original one only had paint chips all over. Then again, if they can fix the frunk and trunk alignment then I'd rather not have paint issues from the start. Of course it may have already been repainted once... Who knows.

I think tesla hates me. Oh I asked about getting the $500 price drop since it had been just over 24 hours since I was convinced to take it (never hurts to ask right). Of course that was a no as well.

Your best bet is a service warranty bonus (1 or 2 year) which really doesn't do that much but its worth a few hundred $$ on their books.

How many miles was on the odo?

My 4th VIN assigned are 3 numbers lower than the 3rd car(2nd car had lower VIN than 1st and had all same quality issues with 20miles on odemeter). Probably a rejected or reworked car. Now my concern are validated here as Tesla will assign people rejected cars. Glad I simply asked for a rematch again without even seeing the 4th car.. last chance for Tesla until I opt for other cars. Seriously getting a bit impatience as they never listen to fix things.

I don't think the vin means a whole lot with tesla obscuring the age of the vehicle by mixing up vin numbers. mine 74k vin but the build date was 9/18. You can't estimate the build date very well based on the vin.

I don't think the vin means a whole lot with tesla obscuring the age of the vehicle by mixing up vin numbers. mine 74k vin but the build date was 9/18. You can't estimate the build date very well based on the vin.

That’s true in general but they build cars in batch with sequential VINs. I think this was confirmed from other posts and my experience on the first two cars. With VIN difference less than 100 pretty much it’s from the same build time and batch.

That’s true in general but they build cars in batch with sequential VINs. I think this was confirmed from other posts and my experience on the first two cars. With VIN difference less than 100 pretty much it’s from the same build time and batch.
Sure, but I think they have what 150k vins now, mine was 74XXX and built a month ago. Plus from my experience I'm not sure a newer vin / build is better than an older one as they seem to have more issues from what I have seen. As long as your getting the updated seats and windshield.

Mine has the matte emblem on the steering wheel not the chrome one.

While I was washing the car over the weekend I noticed under better lighting that where the paint chip is there is actually a bit of a dent as well, so even if they repaint the edge of the door there will still be a dent in it.

Not sure if this sort of thing is fixable or if they will have to replace the entire door.

If they replace the entire door, will the paint still be a good match?

No word on when I will get it in for service at this point. I'll see if I can get it to show up in a photo.

It seems more obvious in the garage lighting than it did while we were looking it over :(

This is the same door with the handle that protrudes out of the door, and you have to slam the door to close it.
chip1.jpg
chip2.jpg
scratch.jpg

Ouch, sorry man. I am sure they could repair the dent and repaint the door, and they will bend the paint. Just look it over real good when you get it back. And take video and pictures of every angle of the car you can get in good light before it is dropped off... Things happen, and its a good idea to be prepared.

It seems more obvious in the garage lighting than it did while we were looking it over :(

This is the same door with the handle that protrudes out of the door, and you have to slam the door to close it.

After looking over this post a few times, it looks like the seat buckle may have been slammed in the door accidentally.

Either way, I hope that everything works out for you and quickly. The good news is that you have the car in your possession and can slowly work through the issues while under warranty.

I guess when Mary Barra (GM), Ralf Speth (Jaguar), Oliver Blume (Porsche) can crank out and sell 10,000 Bolts, iPace's and Taycans per week - we can officially say Elon has had his ass handed to him.

Any number of ICE cars do not count, and since they all have around a 100 year head start on Tesla they shouldn't have any excuses.
I disagree with you. Most of the problems Tesla is having right now is aesthetic issues with alignment and paint. This is not something that is unique to an electric car. I believe in Tesla, however there are some things I think Elon does differently just because he believes “there has to be a better way” instead of just going with the tried and true method for minuscule improvements that end up causing more issues in the long run.
Which, if you look at it financially it makes sense to get the cars out the door and recognize the revenue and as the problems start stacking up you have more cash to be able to fix those minor issues and Wall Street won’t care because they’re selling cars. Now if sales go off a cliff woth the Tex credit and they aren’t ramped up for foreign deliveries then this can have a serious effect on cash.

Reactions: neroden
when Mary Barra (GM), Ralf Speth (Jaguar), Oliver Blume (Porsche) can crank out and sell 10,000 Bolts, iPace's and Taycans per week - we can officially say Elon has had his ass handed to him.

Last time I checked, ICE and EV cars both require expertise in delivering paint-jobs without cracks and smudges and bumpers that don't fall off in the rain. So Tesla cranking out a lot of cars doesn't help if it establishes a reputation as a car company that doesn't care about quality control and reliability. They get a quick bulge from fanboi kool-aid drinking early adopters followed by the long-tail of a bad quality reputation (i.e. kia of the 90s). It's short-term hare vs. tortoise thinking. Tesla wins the battle and loses the war.

Reactions: 2012MS85
Last time I checked, ICE and EV cars both require expertise in delivering paint-jobs without cracks and smudges and bumpers that don't fall off in the rain. So Tesla cranking out a lot of cars doesn't help if it establishes a reputation as a car company that doesn't care about quality control and reliability. They get a quick bulge from fanboi kool-aid drinking early adopters followed by the long-tail of a bad quality reputation (i.e. kia of the 90s).

Elon on paint jobs and bumpers. He's got Mars to go to, ain't nobody got time for that.

giphy.webp

The paint thing is dumb but I sure would love to see a 75KW Bolt that can go 0-60 in 3.5 with a range of 300 miles.

• Funny
Reactions: Cowby
Ouch, sorry man. I am sure they could repair the dent and repaint the door, and they will bend the paint. Just look it over real good when you get it back. And take video and pictures of every angle of the car you can get in good light before it is dropped off... Things happen, and its a good idea to be prepared.
Great ideas, if they can remove the tiny dent too I will be happy.

After looking over this post a few times, it looks like the seat buckle may have been slammed in the door accidentally.

Either way, I hope that everything works out for you and quickly. The good news is that you have the car in your possession and can slowly work through the issues while under warranty.
I thought the same thing, I puled the seatbelt to see if I could get it to stay there but it retracts so hard I think it must have been something else. I think whatever it was also produced the scratch, I'll probably never know.

Maybe "Raul" the previous owner knows!? At least according to telsa service department my car was purchased used !?!

Fit and finish is the same, ICE or EV ... no?

I just got an update that my car was completed and delivered to the showroom.

It was damaged in transport from the body shop back to the showroom (a rock chip) while being transported on a flatbed.

So they are sending it back to the body shop for more paint work. Another 1-2 weeks....

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler