Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you think is causing the limited tow capability of the new Cybertruck?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No idea what it’s using… for all we know, that pull was staged - using a modified production truck.

Haaa.. More negative speculation. LOL. It just won't stop.

Let me try....

Maybe they graded the track so that the CT pulled on a downward slope.
Maybe they put in an order for less gravity during the CT pull.
Maybe they wet the track for the CT pull and used filters to make it look dry.
Maybe...

Nope - It doesn't feel like I thought it would.

• Funny
Reactions: MrSlowEv and Brolan
11k lbs towing for both the CT and Rivian. In that regard, stump pulling is the same - however, the Rivian is quad motor, one for each wheel. I would prefer that over two in the rear and one in the front CT configuration).... To Each, as they say....
1000025034.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
Oh no.... there seems to be a LOT that people are doing. Read the last 23 pages.

How about bash the crap out of it for the next 23 pages.

Please let me know when all the speculation/bashing stops and the real facts are out.
What do you expect people to do? It's been over promised for years and then under delivered. It goes both ways. People talk about how great the next Tesla product is going to be for years before it's delivered. So you're surprised that people are bashing it for the last 24 hours because the specs and pricing they advertised and everyone has been raving about for 4 years ends up being a buncha bull crap?

I didn't make this thread to focus on bashing it. I made it to discuss the what's and why's. Not to say "How dare they". Someone already answered one of the questions I had about the extended range battery option. So far, nobody has been able to confirm what the frame is made from/if they used something other than steel and if that is perhaps what is limiting the tow capabilities.

I own a Tesla myself and have no need for the truck/didn't have it on my radar to purchase, but I was disappointed to see that it didn't hit the mark. I'm not rooting against Tesla. I love the product I have now. I just wish Elon's over-dominating qualities would see reason, as from my understanding, anyone who works with him directly is walking on eggshells and doesn't want to disagree with him for fear of getting fired. If he wasn't so overbearing and more open to listen to reason, I'm sure one of his team members would have spoken up about the fact that it's sub-par specs for towing and weight capacity based on xyz factors are going to put it in a bad running if you are competing against the F-150, one of the best selling trucks in America. If they want to compete with them, they need to have specs at least the same if not better.

What do you expect people to do? It's been over promised for years and then under delivered. It goes both ways. People talk about how great the next Tesla product is going to be for years before it's delivered. So you're surprised that people are bashing it for the last 24 hours because the specs and pricing they advertised and everyone has been raving about for 4 years ends up being a buncha bull crap?

I didn't make this thread to focus on bashing it. I made it to discuss the what's and why's. Not to say "How dare they". Someone already answered one of the questions I had about the extended range battery option. So far, nobody has been able to confirm what the frame is made from/if they used something other than steel and if that is perhaps what is limiting the tow capabilities.

I own a Tesla myself and have no need for the truck/didn't have it on my radar to purchase, but I was disappointed to see that it didn't hit the mark. I'm not rooting against Tesla. I love the product I have now. I just wish Elon's over-dominating qualities would see reason, as from my understanding, anyone who works with him directly is walking on eggshells and doesn't want to disagree with him for fear of getting fired. If he wasn't so overbearing and more open to listen to reason, I'm sure one of his team members would have spoken up about the fact that it's sub-par specs for towing and weight capacity based on xyz factors are going to put it in a bad running if you are competing against the F-150, one of the best selling trucks in America. If they want to compete with them, they need to have specs at least the same if not better.

First sentence response -

I expect all of the experts here to rely on facts - not speculation.

• Funny
Reactions: jebinc
You laugh, but many people use the same concept for camper shells. They hang them from the ceiling of their garage. Lower them onto the bed and bolt them down when they need it and crank it back to the lid with a winch when they don't.
I laugh because Tesla generated with paper prop to counter a failure to deliver the spec advertised for four years, and recently, like last week, Elon was still saying 500+ miles. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

As many have stated, the fact is what was advertised for years was not delivered. Many factual examples and reference Elon posts and videos have already been provided to substantiate the point of view.

I agree, but no one accepts they why of it. They reply as a kindergartener - it just didn't happen (price/range/etc) - SEE he is a liar.

Let me ask you a question. If it happens a year from now with the CT... will you have the same vitriol? I'm really curious.

The weight on both vehicles is the same. Both Trucks are driving in a straight line, One Truck is nose high with the front wheels barely touching the ground and the other Truck is solidly planted on the ground with the exact same weight on it.

So one truck is pulling on 2 wheels and the other one on 4?

Is that what I'm hearing?

I agree, but no one accepts they why of it. They reply as a kindergartener - it just didn't happen (price/range/etc) - SEE he is a liar.

Let me ask you a question. If it happens a year from now with the CT... will you have the same vitriol? I'm really curious.
Two+ years after real deliveries start, I suspect they will continue to refine it and the price will drop - as it did precipitously on the Model S Plaid. I will reevaluate “the value proposition,” at that time - along with the competitor's proposition at that time as well. Then, I will decide what best should replace my currently flawless R1T.

I think the primary issue is that it's poor business practice and it lets fans and investors down. Think of the stock market. When a company releases expected revenues and they are conservative of what those numbers will be, when they over-deliver, people invest. When a company consistently is conservative with their numbers and consistently over-delivers, that stock continues to climb. When a company however, over-estimates and under-delivers, the stock values drop.

Elon could have gone conservative with the specs 4 years ago and still have been offering a one of a kind, nobody had one product. At the time, I don't think anyone yet, had released an electric truck. Then when these specs were finally released now, if they met or exceeded the expectations, people would be happy and excited. Then, in a year from now, as you are pointing out, if they push the limits and jump into the 500mile range, they look even better.

Video games people looked forward to for years end up failing because on release date, all of the things they promised, haven't been implemented into the game. By the time the developers finally get all of the features into the game, the hype is over and nobody is playing it anymore.

Tesla created a great product and has had a great run, but Elon is still banking on the fan boys to keep him above ground. The hype is not what it once was. It's like fans being disappointed with the movie The Matrix 2+. Because the most important aspect that made the first movie so awesome "What is the Matrix?" was answered in the first one. There was no longer that mind blowing concept. Electric cars are here. It's no longer a mind blowing concept. Other companies are building them and selling them. Tesla needs to back down on the ego and focus on the facts. "We can make this size battery pack put out 300 mile range currently. We plan to put the same physical size pack in the new vehicle that will be releasing in 4 years. We can estimate that the battery tech will have improved so much that we will get 500 mile range out of the same size pack, but lets stay conservative with 300 miles and then if we hit 500 miles, it will be a huge surprise to our customer base and excite them" is how this should have been approached.

In the end, they are using old tactics that worked because of all of the hype. The hype is dying. They need to change it up and start being conservative with specs of future products or they are going to suffer in the stock market dramatically and Elon is going to have to find someone who wants to buy X and turn it back to Twitter to keep Tesla afloat ;)

I think the primary issue is that it's poor business practice and it lets fans and investors down. Think of the stock market. When a company releases expected revenues and they are conservative of what those numbers will be, when they over-deliver, people invest. When a company consistently is conservative with their numbers and consistently over-delivers, that stock continues to climb. When a company however, over-estimates and under-delivers, the stock values drop.

Elon could have gone conservative with the specs 4 years ago and still have been offering a one of a kind, nobody had one product. At the time, I don't think anyone yet, had released an electric truck. Then when these specs were finally released now, if they met or exceeded the expectations, people would be happy and excited. Then, in a year from now, as you are pointing out, if they push the limits and jump into the 500mile range, they look even better.

Video games people looked forward to for years end up failing because on release date, all of the things they promised, haven't been implemented into the game. By the time the developers finally get all of the features into the game, the hype is over and nobody is playing it anymore.

Tesla created a great product and has had a great run, but Elon is still banking on the fan boys to keep him above ground. The hype is not what it once was. It's like fans being disappointed with the movie The Matrix 2+. Because the most important aspect that made the first movie so awesome "What is the Matrix?" was answered in the first one. There was no longer that mind blowing concept. Electric cars are here. It's no longer a mind blowing concept. Other companies are building them and selling them. Tesla needs to back down on the ego and focus on the facts. "We can make this size battery pack put out 300 mile range currently. We plan to put the same physical size pack in the new vehicle that will be releasing in 4 years. We can estimate that the battery tech will have improved so much that we will get 500 mile range out of the same size pack, but lets stay conservative with 300 miles and then if we hit 500 miles, it will be a huge surprise to our customer base and excite them" is how this should have been approached.

In the end, they are using old tactics that worked because of all of the hype. The hype is dying. They need to change it up and start being conservative with specs of future products or they are going to suffer in the stock market dramatically and Elon is going to have to find someone who wants to buy X and turn it back to Twitter to keep Tesla afloat ;)
Elon didn’t do that back then because he wanted all of that free money; billions in $100 deposits. And, he got just that, and used it interest free for more than four years. Fact.

Reactions: terranx and Hank42
Elon didn’t do that back then because he wanted all of that free money; billions in $100 deposits. And, he got just that, and used it interest free for more than four years. Fact.
Lets say the media was accurate with the reservation count of 2mil reservations. At $100/reservation, that's $200mil. If he advertised more fair numbers, I'd say it's safe to say, he'd prob still have about 1.5m reservations, so he'd lose $50mil of "interest free money". How much money do they lose if the stock market drops 5-10% with billions of dollars invested because people aren't happy with the results, AND they have to give back $100mil or 50% of the reservations from people canceling? When that loss is reported by Tesla to the public, the stocks fall again. There is a reason large corporations focus more on stock value than taking care of the individual customers.