Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What "won't" be talked about at the reveal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Fiver

Apr 10, 2015
Utah
We're all excited, but Elon said they will probably hold their cards close to their chests a bit with the 3 reveal. So what things do we wish they will talk about but they probably won't?

A: Price
Beyond the base model $35,000 stuff. I think any additional price info won't be talked about. (They probably don't even know this stuff yet)

B: Battery Size
The base model car will hit the goal of 200 real world miles, but with what battery size? And what about larger battery options? They may mention there will be other options, but again I wonder if they even know the battery sizes yet. Also they might keep this info quiet for the time being for competitive reasons.

C: Orderable options
Lots of these are probably not finalized, but I'm sure some will be mentioned.

What else?

We're all excited, but Elon said they will probably hold their cards close to their chests a bit with the 3 reveal. So what things do we wish they will talk about but they probably won't?

A: Price
Beyond the base model $35,000 stuff. I think any additional price info won't be talked about. (They probably don't even know this stuff yet)
Agree, they won't be very specific. But I think they could say something like "The starting price will be 35k USD, and with options, the price will be roughly half that of a comparably equipped Model S." Keeping people completely in the dark regarding price isn't ideal.

B: Battery Size
The base model car will hit the goal of 200 real world miles, but with what battery size? And what about larger battery options? They may mention there will be other options, but again I wonder if they even know the battery sizes yet. Also they might keep this info quiet for the time being for competitive reasons.
I think they will focus mostly on the high spec version, to generate excitement. That means they need to at least say something about the expected range of the high spec version. They could say something like "We expect that the base version will have roughly 220 miles in the EPA test, and that the top spec version will have roughly 310 miles." They may or may not say how big the batteries will be.

C: Orderable options
Lots of these are probably not finalized, but I'm sure some will be mentioned.
I think many features will be mentioned, but it's less likely that they'll say anything about how the options are broken down. So, we might know a lot about what the top spec Model 3 will look like, but less about how the base version will look once you remove all the options. They might for instance say that the 0-60 mph will be 2.8 seconds, but nothing about whether this is standard, or whether you need to upgrade the battery, get dual motor, then performance package, then Ludicrous mode. You also won't know the pricing.

Of course, they'll probably say some things about the base version as well. Like whether access to superchargers will be standard, whether the 15/17" touchscreen will be standard and whether autopilot hardware will be standard. Beyond the stuff that will be standard, I don't think they'll say a lot about the base version.
What else?
I don't think they'll discuss these things:

- Autopilot gen 2 (will likely get it's own event)
- Model S
- Model X

I would expect them to keep much of the new technology details quiet, except maybe one or 2 tantalizing tidbits that will be rolled out to S/X soon.

I agree. They'll tell everyone that the Model 3 is getting "next gen tech", and keep it very vague.

In a few weeks, they'll do an event, or put out a release telling everyone about AutoPilot 2.0 on the S and the X, and tell us it's going to be on the 3 as well.

They're going to have to strike a balance between hyping the 3, but not overhyping it to the point they cannibalize S and X sales too much in the next 12-15 months.

I don't think it would make sense to commit to an exact battery size this far ahead of the Gigafactory being fully operational. I think any technology the already exists on the S that they plan on using with the 3 will be unveiled Thurdsday. We definitely need to hear about supercharging.

I hope that they will be specific about issues such as the "range" of ranges. Like the base will get X miles and the top will X+ miles. Supercharger access is really important. Safety features. Core option availability. I really hope they are not so vague that the public thinks the base car comes with things that it will not. That would certainly piss me off if I were planning to buy.

The last car intro they did was the Model X back in 2012. If you go back and watch the reveal you'll probably get an idea of how the Model 3 intro will be about. Vague on details, a few performance specs and "the whys".

No pricing mentioned beyond the usual "starts @ $35k". Talk about the design and why it's for the masses and mention the cost cutting is because of the Gigafactory.

That's about it. Details about the car won't be revealed until the configuration system opens up for confirming orders. They have to keep selling Model S and X for another 2 years so they can't afford any Osborne Effect. There's a fine line with keeping sales up on existing models and satisfying our desires and curiosity on a new cheaper model and killing your business until the new model is ready.

Like I said before, keep your expectations in check so you're not disappointed when Model 3 details are going to be lacking.

They will NOT talk about:
  • Cup Holders
  • Lighted Vanity Mirrors
  • Grab Handles
  • Coat Hooks
  • Map Pockets
  • Saddleback Leather
  • Brandy Snifters
  • Snuff Boxes
  • Humidors
  • Turbos
  • Blackout Trim
  • Ground Effects
  • Pinstriping
  • Fuzzy Dice
  • Dayton Knock-offs
  • Whitewall Tires
  • Draperies
  • Paisley Embroidery
  • Chandeliers
  • Vampire Tint Windows
  • Yeti Chilling Seats
  • Tradition, Pride, History, Exclusivity, Luxury...

• Funny
Reactions: tga and HookBill