Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel options on model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We just reserved one three weeks ago and I opt out for the 19” combo, but I’m already planning on replacing the wheel/tire combo. Tires for the most of it just for better quality, maybe throw some Michelin tires. I’ll be watching this post.

Just reserved a Y as soon as reservations opened up last week. Any thoughts on whether to upgrade to the induction wheel option?
There are multiple threads re the 19" Gemini wheels versus the 20" Induction wheels. It comes down to personal preference. The Model Y with the 20" has a slightly reduced towing capacity (see Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual, page 75.)

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_y_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

Theoretically the 20" wheels, OE tire are less efficient than the 19" setup but in real world tests the difference is not that much.

Range loss with the different wheel options

Can't speak for tire availability in the UK but in the US, Canada there are more choices in all-season, winter tires for the 19" (255/45R-19) than for the 20" (255/40R-20.) There are probably more choices for performance summer tires in 20".

Went with 19's when I ordered since I was going to change them out. Looking at ordering times the induction wheels delivery dates are in April vs July for the Gemini wheels unless that changed. Switched to 20's and didnt notice a huge difference in ride quality.