Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will summon do this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
summon.png

Yes, summon is in beta and it has been so for over a year. In the past year, only very minor improvements have been made. This image, taken from teslamotors.com on March 30, 2015, certainly seems to imply that summon should be able to do much more than it does currently. From day 1, I have been convinced that first-gen AP doesn't have the hardware necessary to make this happen. I have not yet been proven wrong.

From my perspective, all of the AP capabilities promised (except for summon) have been delivered, given that the "hands free on-ramp to off-ramp" is up for debate.

So my question is: When will summon do what is shown in the above image? If the answer is never, have we been the victims of false advertising?
summon_detail.png

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: davidc18
Will it automatically park in supercharger stalls? I don't supercharge enough to know.

But yeah, I remember this "meet you at the curb" pitch and I'm still waiting for it (it would work for my house).

"Meet you at the curb" isn't a very specific promise.

That picture reminds me of this misleading ad.

a97929_rsz_kiddiepool.jpg

a97929_rsz_kiddiepool2.jpg

Last edited:
Will it automatically park in supercharger stalls? I don't supercharge enough to know.

But yeah, I remember this "meet you at the curb" pitch and I'm still waiting for it (it would work for my house).

Supercharger: Automatically parking in SuperCharger stalls does work, however it's no different than the auto-park it does in any parking lot.

Meet you at the door/curb: It looks like they originally thought that they'd be able to make this work successfully with Mobileye / AP1.0 however I don't think that will come to fruition. It has been specifically marketed that this feature will be available with EAP (AP2.0).

Supercharger: Automatically parking in SuperCharger stalls does work, however it's no different than the auto-park it does in any parking lot.

Meet you at the door/curb: It looks like they originally thought that they'd be able to make this work successfully with Mobileye / AP1.0 however I don't think that will come to fruition. It has been specifically marketed that this feature will be available with EAP (AP2.0).
So when do we get our money back?

• Funny
Reactions: davidc18
Technically Tesla lived up to the highlighted promise.

Summon can* drive out of your garage** and meet you*** at the curb****.

*Assuming a flat level, non sloped terrain, without any leaves or tree branches or 1" bumps in the ground
**assuming you summoned the car in. Though I never tried this, some people have complained that summoning out of the garage only works when you summon it in.
***assuming it's less than 40 feet and a straight line
****assuming the curb is perpendicular to the traveled path of summon, it is the curb.

So when do we get our money back?
Mine does park itself when I get home, and it does meet me in the driveway in the morning.

But I do agree, that with the way it was advertised as turning 90 degrees and parking either in front of the door or at the curb, that it was misleading and false advertising. I do believe that they truly intended to upgrade it to be able to do just that, however that honestly doesn't make it okay. I'm glad that they were finally able to do it with Hardware 2 (AP2.0), but your frustration is honestly warranted.

Reactions: MP3Mike
So my question is: When will summon do what is shown in the above image? If the answer is never, have we been the victims of false advertising?

In August (and perhaps before/after), the main Model S page stated "And our new Summon feature lets you "call" your car from your phone so it can come greet you at the front door in the morning."

I'm guessing most people (myself included) didn't realize that meant "... so it can move forward or backward up to 39 feet on a flat surface, anything more will require a newer car."

In January, 2016 (when summon was introduced), Tesla wrote in a blog post "Eventually, your Tesla will be able to drive anywhere across the country to meet you, charging itself along the way." They forgot to include the word "next" before Tesla.

On October 31, 2014 their website stated "carefully back out of a tight garage, and pull up to your door ready for your commute."

So while we all imagined various things summon could do (I was picturing it driving from the garage to the front door of a mansion, going along the horseshoe driveway), I don't see anywhere that Tesla made any clear promises about what it could do.

But I'd rather be mildly disappointed about one feature I was hoping for, than have them add it without the hardware necessary for it to be safe.

• Funny
Reactions: xborg and davidc18
I think this quote is most damaging:

In January, 2016 (when summon was introduced), Tesla wrote in a blog post "Eventually, your Tesla will be able to drive anywhere across the country to meet you, charging itself along the way." They forgot to include the word "next" before Tesla.

When I bought my car in March, it was because of these kinds of promises. I most likely would've leased or waited if I had thought that the sensor suite wouldn't be able to meet the promises. There was no talk of AP2.0 at the time and so I based my decision on the description of AP and the knowledge that it'll get better over time with SW updates to eventually meet the promises.

So now I have a 7 month old S in perfect condition purchased for nearly $100K with an obsolete AP sensor suite that probably won't improve much more once 8.1 is out. Bummer. If this were a $35K car I don't think I'd be as disappointed. But for me, and I'm sure lots of folks, it was a big stretch to buy a $100K car so it hurts a bit more.

Reactions: xborg and davidc18
I think the AP 2.0 hardware update will be exciting in the future. We have to be okay with what we have, which is pretty amazing IMO, and enjoy the cars. What I would like to see is a hardware update to the main screen that we can retrofit. Besides that, pretty happy.