Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 283249

This information is not intended to be a solicitation to offer for sale any securities products. The information contained in this blog site is for general guidance on matters of interest only.

Vanderbilt Financial Group is the marketing name for Vanderbilt Securities, LLC and its affiliates.

Securities offered through Vanderbilt Securities, LLC

Advisory Services offered through Vanderbilt Advisory Services, LLC

Member: FINRA, SIPC • Registered with MSRB

Clearing Agent: National Financial Services, LLC

The views and opinions expressed herein are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Vanderbilt Financial Group or its entities.

You forgot to clean up your copy/paste.
Is this an advertisement for your company?

After owning our Model S for several months, the fact that I convinced my husband to show our car at an all day EV Event I think qualified me at that point. Would never even thought of this for any other car we've owned. This year we'll be a zero emission car family (holding my place for the AWD Model 3). If we had an older home with a roof that made sense replacing already we'd be installing Tesla's solar tiles and power wall. Just a matter of time at this point. Sure we'll get there since we plan to stay here in this house. While on vacation on the central coast we drove down to see a SpaceX launch at Vandenberg. Hope to see more and do watch them on the internet on their site. Haven't been on the Factory tour yet or down to Hawthorne but do have a Boring Company hat and we have some TSLA stock. I have high hopes for all of Elon's companies and really love our Model S. I love what he and his brilliant team of employees have done to push innovation and impact our world I think for the better.

OP I do think the end of your post comes off as an advertisment and sure takes up a lot of screen space.

• Love
Reactions: phaduman
"Coolest Technology"

Ok sorry, you lost me there. The fact that they are shipping via OTA features that most other cars in that price range already have from the factory is not something to be celebrated. And if you look into the tech that is available from companies like MB, Audi, etc you'll see Tesla is missing a whole hell of a lot of tech; I've included a few examples below

I'm happy Tesla developed a huge fast charging network before implementing features as mentioned above. All those cool features can be added later but where are you going to charge those cars..

Ok sure, they prioritized supercharging over software features (assuming that is even the reason), my comment was directed at the "Coolest Tech" comment in the OP. I'm saying they don't have the coolest tech because they don't. If you want to say it's on purpose and for a good reason, then great, but still doesn't change that they're behind other mfgrs when it comes to in-car tech.

• Disagree
Reactions: avoigt and JonG
Driving a Tesla has been likened to driving a computer. Obviously no tech there. Then there's the tiny factor of having a 300 mile battery, or rather a super efficient system to go 300 miles on the energy equivalent of about 3 gallons of gas. No tech. My last gas car needed to visit the dealer every 5000 miles for "oil changes", and the engine kept belching out noxious gasses, vibrations, and noise. Tesla Tech seems to have eliminated that. Oh, and there's that little factor of leaving everyone else at the light. That yellow Camaro won't even race. Is that tech?

Obviously you have something else in mind when you say, "tech". Maybe "coolest" means something different to you. Like, cup holders? Cigarette lighters? Lots of chrome?

Some people buy a car for the rumbling sound of the engine, or the loud sound system. Some buy Tesla because the "tech" is so far ahead of other cars there is no comparison.

Enjoy your Honda.

Obviously you have something else in mind when you say, "tech". Maybe "coolest" means something different to you. Like, cup holders? Cigarette lighters? Lots of chrome?

Enjoy your Honda

I was going by the examples made by the OP, which were all in-car tech. If you're talking drivetrain tech, then sure, Tesla beats everyone else by such a wide margin it's amazing. But in-car tech? Safety tech? Comfort tech? Basically anything else other than the drivetrain, and they're far behind.

Not sure where the honda comment came from, but ok?

You seem salty. Lighten up. I've never understood why people intertwine their self identity so much w/ a product that they seem personally offended when you criticize said product. Nothing i said was factually inaccurate was it? Or more subjectively, did i even say Tesla sucked? Did I say anything negative about people who own them? Did i say people shouldn't buy them? I own one, I love driving it, and if it got totaled/stolen today I'd be making a replacement order this evening. But loving the car's strengths doesn't mean I can't acknowledge its weaknesses.

Driving a Tesla has been likened to driving a computer. Obviously no tech there. Then there's the tiny factor of having a 300 mile battery, or rather a super efficient system to go 300 miles on the energy equivalent of about 3 gallons of gas. No tech. My last gas car needed to visit the dealer every 5000 miles for "oil changes", and the engine kept belching out noxious gasses, vibrations, and noise. Tesla Tech seems to have eliminated that. Oh, and there's that little factor of leaving everyone else at the light. That yellow Camaro won't even race. Is that tech?

Some people buy a car for the rumbling sound of the engine, or the loud sound system. Some buy Tesla because the "tech" is so far ahead of other cars there is no comparison.

Enjoy your Honda.
Tesla has an great drive train, hands down the leader in EV drive-trains today. The power and torque of the drive train allow it to be fitted into a large sedan, which is very practical (also good for semis). The supercharging network is definitely ahead of everyone else at the moment. However, the ONLY in-car feature that is ahead of everyone else is the over-the-air updates, and the other guys will have that soon (heck, the US government is looking to mandate them). Unfortunately, with all the wonderfulness OTA offers, it also has a dark side, allows Tesla to charge for and ship unfinished, sometimes complete vaporware features. Want automatic wipers, sure, wait a year and half for the first iteration. Want auto blind spot warning, sure wait 3 years and then go buy another car because the one that was delivered is so much worse than what other $20K cars have with their radar BSM and in mirror warnings. Tesla's coolest tech is ability to sell vaporware. Any features other than drive-train or supercharging network, people will always compare what Tesla says they will deliver at some indeterminate time in the future to what the other guys have today, and the argument always is "Tesla can update, the other guys cannot". It reminds of the argument why open-source programs are superior to commercial software because you can implement anything you want. The commercial software has some cool feature, well, open source doesn't but it could if you wanted to because you have source. Similar argument tends to be applied to Tesla, "they don't have it today but they could in the future and apply it via OTA". Sadly the reality is, that "potential" is significantly overplayed. Show me one feature that Tesla has today, besides the drive-train and charging, that cannot be matched or bettered by the other production cars on the market today. There isn't one.

"Show me one feature that Tesla has today, besides the drive-train and charging, that cannot be matched or bettered by the other production cars on the market today. There isn't one."

Can't you can ask the same question about other cars and get the same answer?

"Show me one feature that Tesla has today, besides the drive-train and charging, that cannot be matched or bettered by the other production cars on the market today. There isn't one."

Good point - laser headlights that adapt and change their range and illumination pattern as you drive are available on BMW and Audi but the bmw system is light years (no pun intended) ahead of everyone elses. Being able to see in the dark is much more a benefit than being fast to 60

And what tech does Tesla have that unique? There are plenty of all electric cars.

No. Different cars will have different best-in-class features. Tesla's best in class is limited to drive-train, supercharging, and size of the screen (though the latter screws up user experience for some things since it takes away dedicated buttons forcing the user to take attention away from the road for seconds at a time to do things like turn on headlights which takes multiple clicks and each can take a while). Most other features are below even much cheaper cars (for example blind spot warning system, emergency braking, phone integration, etc.). It doesn't make it a bad product, I love Tesla's, just won't go around claiming they are leading in anything other than EV drive-train and charging. I also don't go around telling people how Tesla's OTA will make every feature best-in-class someday (you know, they'll get car play via OTA, FSD via OTA, blind spot warning via OTA, etc).

Reactions: JonG
Good point - laser headlights that adapt and change their range and illumination pattern as you drive are available on BMW and Audi but the bmw system is light years (no pun intended) ahead of everyone elses. Being able to see in the dark is much more a benefit than being fast to 60

And what tech does Tesla have that unique? There are plenty of all electric cars.

I love it when people just disagree but have nothing to counter it with.

@whitex has got it right - the cars are far from state of the art in other areas. Take the Nav - its a 10 year old Nav system superimposed on a google map to make it look contemporary - no ability to chose between alternative routes, no ability to pick shortest, fastest etc.. Its not uncommon for people in the owners groups to think its google and state of the art because its what they believe it is not because of what it is. And so it is with the majority of tech in a Tesla

linked doc in OP fails.
I fail to comprehend it.
You sell safety when you don't have the sizzle.
This Food Is Healthy. This is old school car shtick.
"Dual Diagonal BrakinG"

Subaru, Volvo.
Subaru is all about "Love'.
Not the passionate, tear your clothes off sort,
more the, fear bits.
Oh My Gawd I Hope We dont Die.

Like selling insurance. Pitch begins with
"You know you are going to die,
what will your SO and family do then,
Huh?"

Tesla is second in safety to none,
it is also a point.

Tesla is face folding acceleration.
Vids of jiggly cute gals laughing out loud,
saying holy crap ....

And, can we do that again?

linked doc in OP fails.
I fail to comprehend it.
You sell safety when you don't have the sizzle.
This Food Is Healthy. This is old school car shtick.
"Dual Diagonal BrakinG"

Subaru, Volvo.
Subaru is all about "Love'.
Not the passionate, tear your clothes off sort,
more the, fear bits.
Oh My Gawd I Hope We dont Die.

Like selling insurance. Pitch begins with
"You know you are going to die,
what will your SO and family do then,
Huh?"

Tesla is second in safety to none,
it is also a point.

Tesla is face folding acceleration.
Vids of jiggly cute gals laughing out loud,
saying holy crap ....

And, can we do that again?

You start with saying you sell safety when you have no sizzle then you say Tesla is the safest car bar none? And whats wrong with safety - Musk wants them to be twice as safe.

Tesla headlights are the worst I've known in 15 years - they're marginally not safe. Because they wouldn't put a water yet on the pre facelift xenon headlights they had to use a lower powered bulb in europe, so not only are they lacking in features like adjusting the beam down the road depending on speed, they are under powered.

Tesla have been repremanded for the lack of nags in the cars when on autopilot. Tesla have done very little to prevent AP being used in unsuitable locations.

Now lets look at handling. My last BMW has active suspension systems that made it handle great, you cn buy cars with torque vectoring and rear wheel steer, you can buy cars that read the road ahead and adjust the suspension when they see a pot hole.. nope.. none of that on a Tesla

Its quick off the line.. I love that. I really do. Tesla are great at that

I also loved the head up display in my last car, that was cool, it warned me about being over the speed limit which it could read reliably, something HW2 cars still can't do - that either read the speed limit or display it on the screen.

People forget that some of us bought Tesla because we DO appreciate the good stuff that it has, but that doesn't mean we think its the best at everything - its simply not. It really really isn't.

It is also regrettable that they seem to also have managed to uninvent door handles.
And the locked down service/sales/parts.
Ack.
What happens when it is out of warrantY?

As far as over engineering in the German sense,
Sometimes I think they need someone to say, Elon stop that. Elon! Put that down, No Elon we are Not building a flying version of the model S.
No not even little short flights. No not even a few of them.
Elon, look over there, a Flame Thrower!

My point is, people buy the car for the passion.
The go pedal. Feels like the future. Hi Tech Wild West show, a legendary era unlikely to be repeated.

There is also an element of an elite club, to this point.
Cutting edge autopilot beta testers.
Who overwhelmingly manage not to break the cars.
Good work there people. Headlines need to be,
Tesla Tows Semi
Tesla spanks this and that in drag race, etc.
This is modern cali car culture, reimagined.
Totally American.
Dude riding his car on top of a rocket to Mars.
That guy, oh yeah I saw that...

Be sure to reinforce the need for discipline wrt Still Beta AP on the coming generation 3.

We have been blessed to be in a time and place where remarkably, our superiors in government, fond of regimenting the fine details of our lives,
have given us a pass on this.

Yeah sure, go ahead.

So Don't mess it up.