Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Model S lacks typical voice commands, and has no voice-to-text

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am astounded that Model S refuses to take dictation, even for a search, but welcomes QWERTY touch typing instead.

My guess is the standard vendors are asking too much for Tesla and that Elon is instead planning a Universal Translator.

babel_fish_translator.jpg

Love my MS since getting it but coming from other nice cars it is missing a LOT of basic things you would expect it to have. Even though its a first model it seems that they would have made certain it had more advanced voice commands, but the one it does have around searching/navigation work well enough. Its missing more obvious physical nice to haves like adjustable seat belts, lights in areas, and much of the stuff promised in V7/Autopilot as well.

It may have that fancy screen and dash but at a point it just looks fancy and doesn't always mean it can do anything extra ;-). But the battery & drive system, that is what you mainly get the car for!

It may have that fancy screen and dash but at a point it just looks fancy and doesn't always mean it can do anything extra ;-). But the battery & drive system, that is what you mainly get the car for!
Totally, that's why I don't call my MS a luxury car but a premium car.

But ultimately, it's one big computer platform and speech to text isn't something new. We're not asking for Siri or Cortana here.

What's baffling to me is that the speech-to-text engine, least for this American English speaker, is fantastic. I can say "Navigate to" and spit out a complicated address, the car converts it to text, automatically searches for it, and begins navigation. That's really impressive.

But I can't use it to turn on the dome lights... or enable range mode... or any of 100 other commands that are far easier to recognize.

A lot of much-needed software work fell by the side of the road in order to get autopilot up and running.