Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will tesla release details of crash to drivers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
was in a crash that totaled my Model x the other day. Wondering if tesla will release details of crash to me. I hit the back of a car transporter/trailer that ran out of gas in the middle of the lane, i was only going 40 mph. I am 100% sure auto pilot was on, I don’t know why AP didn’t slow down when I came up on it. I honestly can’t remember if I had my foot on the accelerator and therefore the car wouldn’t stop or slow down or if AP legitimately didn’t see it. I didn’t realize that he was stopped.

Also wondering if I should send it to someone at tesla just in case it can help make the detection system better in case it was a bug. Has anyone else had any experience getting this info?

Planning on getting a new one but really weighing my options as it’s 5k-10k to get into a new lease. Only had her for 11 months...

Attachments

• 3CA9D190-0E7E-4213-9E7C-201207CDE617.jpeg
    3CA9D190-0E7E-4213-9E7C-201207CDE617.jpeg
    540.1 KB · Views: 143
...bug...

I doubt Tesla would routinely troubleshoot this known limitation of colliding into a stopped vehicle.

That limitation is spelled out in the manual:

3mfm58v.jpg

Although you were driving under 50 MPH but it also gives to a disclaimer that you should not depend on it in the first place.

It works lots of time, but again, you cannot trust it because it can still get into accidents when you let your guards down.

However, for your learning, you may want to ask Tesla for vehicle log to see there were any human intervention at all. It's up to Tesla's courtesy but not an obligation.

Tesla's answer usually is: "It works as designed." (I think because of disclaimers)

was in a crash that totaled my Model x the other day. Wondering if tesla will release details of crash to me. I hit the back of a car transporter/trailer that ran out of gas in the middle of the lane, i was only going 40 mph. I am 100% sure auto pilot was on, I don’t know why AP didn’t slow down when I came up on it. I honestly can’t remember if I had my foot on the accelerator and therefore the car wouldn’t stop or slow down or if AP legitimately didn’t see it. I didn’t realize that he was stopped.

Also wondering if I should send it to someone at tesla just in case it can help make the detection system better in case it was a bug. Has anyone else had any experience getting this info?

Planning on getting a new one but really weighing my options as it’s 5k-10k to get into a new lease. Only had her for 11 months...
Glad you’re OK.
Let’s us know if Tesla gets back to you. It would be very useful for accidents that end up in court.

Tesla isn't obligated to provide such information, though if you ask nicely they may give it to you or at least do some investigation on their end.

FWIW, I wouldn't expect it to change anything in terms of fault assignment or insurance driver rating… Fundamentally, collision avoidance and L2 assistance features cannot be relied upon, and the driver ends up being responsible for what happens as if the system didn't exist.

P.S. If I were in your position, I would file a NHTSA complaint that FCW/AEB failed to recognize this situation, just for public record and for independent investigation if there is such a trend. I helped a friend do this not too long ago with his Audi. It was equipped with the driver assistance package that has an IIHS Advanced+ rated CAS and didn't warn at all for a very simple rear-ending in heavy traffic.

You don't know this. He stated himself he doesn't even know whether he was pushing the accelerator or not.

AEB won't actuate if you are pressing the accelerator, but FCW will certainly still alert. I've done this a few times in traffic before where I was overriding TACC to close a following gap and the person in front braked heavily. FCW will still go off as normal… It seems to me more like the car didn't see the truck/trailer in front.

AEB won't actuate if you are pressing the accelerator, but FCW will certainly still alert. I've done this a few times in traffic before where I was overriding TACC to close a following gap and the person in front braked heavily. FCW will still go off as normal… It seems to me more like the car didn't see the truck/trailer in front.
Or he didn't hear the beep. Much like he didn't know if he was using the pedals...

Or he didn't hear the beep. Much like he didn't know if he was using the pedals...

That's very much possible. I should've prefaced my advice with if the OP genuinely believed that he did not receive a FCW for a situation that's reasonably within the operating limits of the system… You're right that there was enough ambiguity in the original account that it's not clear whether or not the car gave a warning at all.

Reactions: DrivingRockies

Yes it flashed and gave an audible alert letting me know about a second before I hit the trailer. I pulled to the left with enough time to only hit it on the right side. I didn’t say it didn’t notify me.
I don’t think I had my foot on the accelerator because I drive the road on AP every day and don’t have my foot on the accelerator, I generally only do on the highway, but I was trying to give the car the benefit of the doubt because it has never not stopped or alerted me for something like that before. Also why I was inquiring about the vehicle log.

My wife has done almost the same, a car makes a sudden stop on the highway and she hits the car in front of her. no FCW at all, no AEB assistance.

She was going at around 72 mph when the car in front of her stopped. She was not using the autopilot. She had to do all the work to stop the car by herself, with no help from the cars assisting systems.

Weather conditions was cloudy but clear view. and nothing was blocking any sensors.

So, it is REALLY important that no one relies on the FCW or the AEB in the Model X it will not assist you in case of an emergency.

/Martin