Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wipers turn on with Cruise Control, won’t work on auto

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got a ‘23Model Y. The automatic setting on the wipers will sometimes turn on for no reason, won’t turn on in the rain, go at whatever speed the gremlins want them to run at. When the cruise control is used, and the wipers are on automatic, they turn on - at whatever speed they want, even with no rain- and the “off” function for the wipers is greyed out. The only option is to take cruise control off, turn wipers off completeLy, and then not use cruise control.

Took the car for service, and was told “ this is a known problem, it requires a firmware update, and the engineers are working on it.” Funny, we had a 2018 Model 3 that had NO ISSUES whatsoever. So how is it a car 5 years older had no issues, and a 2023 is still waiting for a ‘fix’?

This is a safety issue, as a pop-up rainstorm in heavy traffic required pushing the wiper button repeatedly, until it got to a point where we could look down at the screen to turn the wipers on manually. Tesla has known this is an issue, and does….what?

Figure if you spend over $50K for a vehicle, it should work 100%, OR have problems that are correctable. Tesla has been totally unconcerned and unapologetic.

Many threads about this. It's tied to Tesla Vision when autopilot is used. If the windshield camera picture appears degraded to the system, it turns on the wipers to clear it. Since the system needs a clear front camera to operate, it can't wait for the driver to react. As you've seen, the implementation is less than perfect.

And it's not relegated to only the MY. I had a 2019 M3 that had the exact same problem. It's a system wide defect.

The auto wipers in both our 2023 S and 2023 Y are pretty bad. I usually have to set them to one of the manual settings when it rains. Definitely worse than in the 2018 S and 2018 3 we owned before.

On the Y, the wipers will sometimes swipe once even when the wipers are set to OFF, and not using Autopilot. The S hasn’t done that (yet).

Reactions: KevinT3141
Keep your windshield clean and use a hydrophobic spray coating every now and then on it, especially where the cameras are. I think the vision sees the rain droplets better if they are not smearing around. I use 303 graphene nano spray coating. Not a "fix" but it does make everything work much better and I don't have near as many wiper issues.

Just got a ‘23Model Y. The automatic setting on the wipers will sometimes turn on for no reason, won’t turn on in the rain, go at whatever speed the gremlins want them to run at. When the cruise control is used, and the wipers are on automatic, they turn on - at whatever speed they want, even with no rain- and the “off” function for the wipers is greyed out. The only option is to take cruise control off, turn wipers off completeLy, and then not use cruise control.

Took the car for service, and was told “ this is a known problem, it requires a firmware update, and the engineers are working on it.” Funny, we had a 2018 Model 3 that had NO ISSUES whatsoever. So how is it a car 5 years older had no issues, and a 2023 is still waiting for a ‘fix’?

This is a safety issue, as a pop-up rainstorm in heavy traffic required pushing the wiper button repeatedly, until it got to a point where we could look down at the screen to turn the wipers on manually. Tesla has known this is an issue, and does….what?

Figure if you spend over $50K for a vehicle, it should work 100%, OR have problems that are correctable. Tesla has been totally unconcerned and unapologetic.
I have similar problems. ‘23Model Y goes on randomly when it is not raining. My 18Model 3 does not do that. Basic Autopilot on the Model Y requires the wipers to be on and since they turn on often and randomly when on 'auto' that renders the autopilot unusable when it is not raining.

Totally agree - had 2021 with no issues; new 2024 auto doesn't turn on no matter how much rain there is; have to manually do all wipers and change speeds as you are driving in rain - a real problem in Florida with downpours. Told fix is coming but this is ridiculous!

I'm having the same problem in my 2023 MY and it is extremely frustrating. I totally agree that this should be a basic function that is corrected as soon as they realize there is a problem with it which apparently has been going on for... Months? It's dangerous. I also felt that over 50K should deliver a solid good working vehicle. The fact that it's a safety issue is paramount and I don't know why they're not taking it seriously. I also fear that going to all the trouble of taking it to my local service center which is not close, and taking a day out of my life to do so, is just going to get me a song and a dance and not much else, if I'm lucky. If I'm unlucky, I don't even get the song and dance but just a hassle depending on which rep I get. I've been lucky the last few times I've gotten a really great representative at Tesla but it could have easily gone the other way with some of the winners I've gotten down there, who have an attitude like I'm wasting their time and I should pay for it instead of I have a brand new car that's not working and they should be doing everything in their power to fix it and give me a solid vehicle that I can depend on. Shouldn't be too much to ask for a 6-month-old car

I'm having the same problem in my 2023 MY and it is extremely frustrating. I totally agree that this should be a basic function that is corrected as soon as they realize there is a problem with it which apparently has been going on for... Months? It's dangerous. I also felt that over 50K should deliver a solid good working vehicle. The fact that it's a safety issue is paramount and I don't know why they're not taking it seriously. I also fear that going to all the trouble of taking it to my local service center which is not close, and taking a day out of my life to do so, is just going to get me a song and a dance and not much else, if I'm lucky. If I'm unlucky, I don't even get the song and dance but just a hassle depending on which rep I get. I've been lucky the last few times I've gotten a really great representative at Tesla but it could have easily gone the other way with some of the winners I've gotten down there, who have an attitude like I'm wasting their time and I should pay for it instead of I have a brand new car that's not working and they should be doing everything in their power to fix it and give me a solid vehicle that I can depend on. Shouldn't be too much to ask for a 6-month-old car
Don't bother with service as they'll do nothing for you. The feature is working exactly how Tesla intends it to - wipers are set to auto when engaging TACC or Autosteer. Not a bug, a feature.

The problem is Full Self Wiping is garbage and probably always will be given Tesla's now 8-year-old hubris that keeps them from including a dedicated moisture sensor like every other vehicle with automatic wipers on the road today.

That said, calling this a "safety issue" is a stretch. Wipers that wipe when they don't need to isn't a safety concern, and they can always be immediately activated manually if necessary with the single push of a real button.

Reactions: DanDi58
Don't bother with service as they'll do nothing for you. The feature is working exactly how Tesla intends it to - wipers are set to auto when engaging TACC or Autosteer. Not a bug, a feature.

The problem is Full Self Wiping is garbage and probably always will be given Tesla's now 8-year-old hubris that keeps them from including a dedicated moisture sensor like every other vehicle with automatic wipers on the road today.

That said, calling this a "safety issue" is a stretch. Wipers that wipe when they don't need to isn't a safety concern, and they can always be immediately activated manually if necessary with the single push of a real button.
I think you are missing my issue here. It's stupid that the wipers wipe when they don't need to that's not the issue. The issue is me driving down the road at 50 miles an hour in a heavy rain and having the wipers stop working for no apparent reason. That actually is a safety issue. And in a heavy rain I need a lot more than a single push. I totally agree with your comment about the full self wiping garbage and the 8-year-old hubris that makes their windshield wipers worse than any other car I've had ice or otherwise. Honestly I'm just disgusted at this point. The car should be making driving easier for me not harder or more dangerous because I can't see anything when the wiper stop in a heavy rain including where I'm going. Then there's also the ridiculousness of the sensors that don't work when it's raining or snowing because the cameras are getting wet or snowed on or dirty but that's when I need them the most. Was anybody even thinking when they designed this thing? Like real world conditions and the garbage about full self-driving is a misnomer to be sure

Reactions: KevinT3141
I think you are missing my issue here. It's stupid that the wipers wipe when they don't need to that's not the issue. The issue is me driving down the road at 50 miles an hour in a heavy rain and having the wipers stop working for no apparent reason. That actually is a safety issue. And in a heavy rain I need a lot more than a single push. I totally agree with your comment about the full self wiping garbage and the 8-year-old hubris that makes their windshield wipers worse than any other car I've had ice or otherwise. Honestly I'm just disgusted at this point. The car should be making driving easier for me not harder or more dangerous because I can't see anything when the wiper stop in a heavy rain including where I'm going. Then there's also the ridiculousness of the sensors that don't work when it's raining or snowing because the cameras are getting wet or snowed on or dirty but that's when I need them the most. Was anybody even thinking when they designed this thing? Like real world conditions and the garbage about full self-driving is a misnomer to be sure
You can tell the SC that it's a safety issue all you want. There's nothing they can do. It's not maintenance problem, it's a design problem. The short term solution is to not rely on auto wipers AT ALL. Set them manually whenever it rains. Maybe it will make you nostalgic for driving in the 1970s, since that's about the level of tech competence they've regressed to. . . .

Reactions: Bart404
My issue has nothing to do with auto wipers. I just commented on this thread instead of starting a new one because everybody always gets wigged out if you start a new thread when there's one already started about the general issue. I'm not sure if you're reading my replies but I'm having the issue when I have it MANUALLY set -for instance number three wiper and it randomly stops working in the middle of a rainstorm driving 50 miles an hour down the road. Not an autopilot and not on auto wiper.

Service center called me still wants me to come in at the end of the month and Sean from my local SC suggested that I take my phone out and take a video of my screen while it's happening but the whole point is that I can't see where I'm going so kind of a really stupid time to whip a phone out instead of just get control of my car again. I mean that's kind of shocked that that's what they suggested doing to verify the issue. I remember when I was having some issues last fall a really good rep told me how to take a snapshot of what the car was doing, I think it was pressed the button on the right side of the drivers wheel, and say something like "incident report". I'm beginning to wonder if it ever really happened though I do remember that oh *sugar* moment where I looked down and pulled up the wiper speed screen and it clearly said it should have been on three but nothing was happening except heavy rain making vision impossible. That is why I think it's a safety issue but you're right I have very little confidence in the service center. There's only one guy there who's ever been helpful to me. I think the suggestion about it being a possible wiper motor issue is a good one. This might be more than programming but I don't really know either

Service center called me still wants me to come in at the end of the month and Sean from my local SC suggested that I take my phone out and take a video of my screen while it's happening but the whole point is that I can't see where I'm going so kind of a really stupid time to whip a phone out instead of just get control of my car again. I mean that's kind of shocked that that's what they suggested doing to verify the issue. I remember when I was having some issues last fall a really good rep told me how to take a snapshot of what the car was doing, I think it was pressed the button on the right side of the drivers wheel, and say something like "incident report". I'm beginning to wonder if it ever really happened though I do remember that oh *sugar* moment where I looked down and pulled up the wiper speed screen and it clearly said it should have been on three but nothing was happening except heavy rain making vision impossible. That is why I think it's a safety issue but you're right I have very little confidence in the service center. There's only one guy there who's ever been helpful to me. I think the suggestion about it being a possible wiper motor issue is a good one. This might be more than programming but I don't really know either
Ok. That's a legit problem. Only safe way I can see to get footage of it happening is to have a passenger try to catch it on video.

Reactions: ionsphere
Mine have actually been a littler better the last few times I've been in the rain. Driving to Cape May on Saturday I ran into misting rain and a few showers, and they actually worked pretty well. Only had to manually engage them one time. There is supposedly an update coming soon, I just hope Elon didn't lay off the team that was working on it.... :cool: