Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wireless QI Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just installed this DIY 3-coil fast charger, $8 shipped on the slow boat from China:

Qi Wireless Charging PCBA Circuit Board Qi-standard 3 Coils CE FCC Certification 604339947410 | eBay

Nice thing is it's a 10W Qi fast charger - verified with ammeter it's doing >2 amps (5V) on both an iPhone X as well as a LG V30, and sits under the stock pad!

It's low-profile as the coils are on a thin metal plate, and placement doesn't interfere with the four circular indents, so the stock rubber pad's nubs will seat nicely in the original holes and the phones will sit flush and not bounce off the modest bottom lip and fall into the compartment below. I could've used a bit less painter's tape, but I was in a bit of a rush.

3coil.jpg

3-coil allows more flexibility of placement of different sized phones, but does mean six wires instead of two need to wrap around the side. Pro Tip: To get enough length to wrap the wires around and have the circuit board on the backside, the coils are lightly glued to the backplate - so you can cut the yellow cellophone tape holidng the coils together, and "uncoil" a little bit more length.

There is also a blue glowing LED charging indicator, for an extra touch, with enough length in its two wires from the circuit board to wrap around to the front. However, it was delicatly soldered to the wires and I accidentally broke off the solder connections - but it should be easily mountable with a bit of care.

Reactions: drewbaumann
Very nice, too bad the X is only capable of 7.5 watts. Even with my single coil (which is all I can use having a steel plate for attaching to a magnet), I don't have any issues keeping the phone charged running maps and taking movies and all the stuff you do on vacation.

I recently added a magnetic mount for the phone that makes it more usable. Has the plate in the bottom of the iPhone case from other mounts I have.

IMG_0912.JPG
IMG_0911.JPG

This doesn't work with the wireless charging but it takes much better pics than with the phone mounted in the center console. Also easier to control the phone, all w/o blocking the center display. With 4 USB ports I just run a cable if the phone is going to be riding there for long, though more often I just toss it on the wireless charger after I am finished taking a movie or whatever I have it up there for.

-Randy