Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow bands of death can disable some touchscreen controls

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Cool story. But the button still works. It’s not “disabled”.

“Guessing” where your finger is pressing is one of the primary design features of the entire Tesla UI. I get people that have screens that need replacing are quick to latch on to the safety angle in an attempt to further justify their claims, but again, it’s not like the button doesn’t work. Let’s not just make things up.

Would the word "broken" make you happier? :rolleyes:

“Guessing” where your finger is pressing is one of the primary design features of the entire Tesla UI. I get people that have screens that need replacing are quick to latch on to the safety angle in an attempt to further justify their claims, but again, it’s not like the button doesn’t work. Let’s not just make things up.
It sounds like according to you, if the screen goes all black on a smartphone, the phone is not at all disabled as long as you can guess at buttons and press it? To illustrate to yourself how ridiculous this is, just put on a blindfold, then grab your phone, ipad, or other touch screen device to read and reply to TMC posts - let's see if you find any functionality disabled. ;)

Model 3 screen has liquid coolin running through it. More than that it seams to be the same cooling that cools the battery. I watched a video with someone taking one apart on YouTube. Not sure the S has the same b...most clearlylijely not. Nothing that can be added at this stage. If cooling with liquid is the real solution... we got big problem ...
Or Tesla has a big problem. Maybe that is why they are trying to wait it out, let all the cars go our of warranty, or owners sell them as used cars where people expect not everything is working.

Making things up? The word ‘clueless’ comes to mind.

Model 3 screen has liquid coolin running through it. More than that it seams to be the same cooling that cools the battery. I watched a video with someone taking one apart on YouTube. Not sure the S has the same b...most clearlylijely not. Nothing that can be added at this stage. If cooling with liquid is the real solution... we got big problem ...
However, apparently there are Model S screens that are functioning properly. Whether some of those are new iterations of the screen and others simply screens that for what ever reason are defect-free, we don’t know.

Does this yellowing issue apply to the newer cars? My car is a bit over 4 years mark and I do not see any yellowing (yet)! I must admit in my case, the car has not been exposed to lots of sun (garaged when parked), except when it's on the road (43K so far).

Tesla is currently selling brand new MS/MX cars with a 17” touchscreen, and I assume, no water cooling like the Model 3. I find it very difficult to believe Tesla is selling cars with a known defect, a defect for which they have received untold numbers of complaints and requests for repair. If accurate, this means Tesla has an inventory of screens that will not turn yellow. Of course, that raises other questions.

In the Model 3, I suspect the reason for the active cooling is to allow for the use of a lower cost screen that would not normally be able to handle higher temps required for a car. Of course, there could be other reasons; perhaps just to extend the life of the screen?

Higher temp screens are available for tougher environmental applications: rugged notebook computers, outdoor signage, commercial, military, aerospace, and etc. etc. These displays are just more expensive than your average display not designed for the 130F to 172F temps of a parked car in sunlight. I've read an article which claims that Tesla used a screen that was not speced for the environment of a car. This may or may not be accurate? Here’s the article:

Tesla's Screen Saga Shows Why Automotive Grade Matters

However, we do not know that temperature is the problem. There have been unsubstantiated reports of screens with yellow boarders coming right out of the box. There have been reports of people with brand new cars having this problem in the dead of winter. The problem could be nothing more than substandard materials and aging. The problem could be UV radiation. Who knows, there could be more than one cause.

Reactions: PhilDavid
Or Tesla has a big problem. Maybe that is why they are trying to wait it out, let all the cars go our of warranty, or owners sell them as used cars where people expect not everything is working.
That would be quite shady of tesla, to wait until the car is out of warranty.
Although I’m sure they’d still be responsible for repairs since the issue was brought to them when the car was still under warranty.

Well then they should keep replacing the screens in the meantime. Waiting months and months for a fix is unacceptable.

I agree!! They should keep replacing the screens in the meantime.

Apple computer is in an extremely similar position with their low profile keyboards in their newest notebooks across their entire line. There is a materials and/or design defect in the keyboards that causes the keys to sporadically fail to register a keypress. To address the problem, they have extended the warrantee period and setup programs to keep replacing the keyboards which are still not permanently fixed as many times and for as long as needed until the extended warrantee expires. In my opinion they should be doing even more because owners are not compensated for the loss of time as well as loss of use of the notebooks.

This repair is very expensive for Apple because they cannot replace just the keyboard, but must replace the entire top half of the computer! I suspect their repair costs are very similar to Tesla's repair cost for the yellow bands of death. I suspect Apple has far more notebooks with this keyboard problem than Tesla has with the yellow bands of death. In my opinion, there is no good rationale or excuse for Tesla to not treat their customers at least as well as Apple does.

Am I understanding your post correctly? Are you saying you can by “Guessing” touch any control on any screen of your car correctly without the need to look at and read the control's name/icon?

I’m saying this is the unfortunate reality of all touchscreens without haptic feedback. They demand you remove your attention from the road to accomplish basically anything. It’s a compromised design from the beginning. I dismiss the idea that it’s any more difficult to operate because of the yellow band around the perimeter. There is plenty of visual reference from the rest of the screen to orient yourself.

Furthermore, words matter, and I’ll continue to assert the button isn’t “disabled” or “broken”. Keep firing away with those disagrees. :)

It sounds like according to you, if the screen goes all black on a smartphone, the phone is not at all disabled as long as you can guess at buttons and press it? To illustrate to yourself how ridiculous this is, just put on a blindfold, then grab your phone, ipad, or other touch screen device to read and reply to TMC posts - let's see if you find any functionality disabled. ;)

If we’re going to take things to logical extremes to try and make a point, I’ll ask my original question again. Is the light switch in your bedroom “disabled” or “broken” when it’s dark and you can’t see it? Of course not.

If the edge of my iPhone had a yellow border, The space bar wouldn’t be broken or disabled.

Yeah, I find it interesting also that there are tone of screens out there perfectly OK on S and X. Red somewhere on the forum that they changed the provider at some point ... that could be. I am not sure heat is the problem but most likely. I live in Seattle area so it does not get hot but think about it, leave any car in the sun (or even cloudy) and it goes over 40 Celsius which should not be an issue for the screen. So you don't have to be in Forida to experience heat.

There is plenty of visual reference from the rest of the screen to orient yourself

I disagree with you, and absolutely agree with the OP where he clearly says:

I cannot see some of the touchscreen controls, and therefore cannot operate aspects of the car such as the heater controls and volume at the bottom the screen, map settings on the right side, and more.

and,

since the yellow is reflective and therefore both blocks the light from the screen and reflects sunlight hitting it.

Also, since you have no forum signature, may I ask if you own and drive a Tesla Model S/X? Just curious, really.

Also, since you have no forum signature, may I ask if you own and drive a Tesla Model S/X? Just curious, really.

I have a December 2016 S75 with 80,000 miles that I bought new. My screen was replaced for the yellowing issue probably 18 months ago, long before the full scope of this problem became apparent, so I’ve got first hand experience. I will say that OP’s photos are shockingly bad, that’s the worst example I’ve seen so far. If anyone could make a case for quick replacement, it would be him.

It isn't about concern that a Model 3 will have the same problem as my MS. The concern is that I want to be sure Tesla plans to continue offering the great customer service I have experienced in the past. I do not want to buy another car from a company that has decided to stop taking care of its customers. Maybe the Model 3 will have a costly problem similar to this in the future?

The only way I'll know for sure that Tesla is stepping up to the plate and continuing to do the right things is if they take care of their customers with this yellow screen of death problem. I've just got to believe Tesla will fix this mess and do it with a real solution and not a bandaid.

In other threads on TMC, people have reported that Tesla has told them they are not going to replace and/or fix the yellow bands of death on their screens under warrantee. This is very concerning to me. I have been living with this problem for six months and it has yet to be fixed. This problem cropped up before the car was one year old (I took delivery in 1/2018). This is why if Telsa does not take care of this yellow band of death problem then I will not be purchasing another car from them.

I asked about this on my 2017 90D and was told that you can pay (out of pocket) for an immediate replacement screen or wait for the software fix. This was last week. Truly feels like they can't get a good replacement screen that won't have the problem reoccur.

I sent Elon a message several months ago on twitter asking if the cabin overheat protection temps could be lowered from 105 to 95 degrees. This would possibly help protect the MCU screens a little better from bubbling and yellowing. Also if a child is left in the car during the summer they would have a better chance of surviving. Of course my tweet was not answered.