Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model X Plaid - warm air coming out of vents with heater off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning was a fairly chilly morning in Central Florida (45 degrees this morning). When I left home to commute to work, I had HVAC completely off but the windshield started fogging up and I turned on the fan (fan only, HVAC was set to cool with A/C being off and temp set ot 72 degrees) and fairly warm air was coming out of the vents (definitely a lot warmer than outside temp). Now, I wonder if this has something to do with the Octovalve? I always run PLAID mode in my car and I believe that it does heat up the battery for better performance. As a result, I suspect that the octovalve is redirecting some of that heat to the cabin?? Am I off on that?? How else could warm air coming out of the vents with the heater/A/C off and only fan running?

This morning was a fairly chilly morning in Central Florida (45 degrees this morning). When I left home to commute to work, I had HVAC completely off but the windshield started fogging up and I turned on the fan (fan only, HVAC was set to cool with A/C being off and temp set ot 72 degrees) and fairly warm air was coming out of the vents (definitely a lot warmer than outside temp). Now, I wonder if this has something to do with the Octovalve? I always run PLAID mode in my car and I believe that it does heat up the battery for better performance. As a result, I suspect that the octovalve is redirecting some of that heat to the cabin?? Am I off on that?? How else could warm air coming out of the vents with the heater/A/C off and only fan running?
I set driving mode to SPORT on my way home and turned on the fan and the air came out of the vents cold (outside temp). Conclusion is that the HVAC is heating the battery for PLAID mode and the octovalve sends some of that heat to the cabin if the fan is on.

Reactions: Tulipo
I set driving mode to SPORT on my way home and turned on the fan and the air came out of the vents cold (outside temp). Conclusion is that the HVAC is heating the battery for PLAID mode and the octovalve sends some of that heat to the cabin if the fan is on.
That is an impressive leap to a conclusion given only two data points with TONS of variables changing apart from SPORT/PLAID mode!
I have 2023 Plaid S and all I've read and observed is that Track Mode runs the compressor/fans to cool the batteries and Dragstrip mode runs the heater to warm the battery. I do not think chill/sport/plaid directly change what heating/cooling is being done, merely impact throttle mapping and power available.

Did you have your car plugged in at home charging or was your garage substantially warmer than 45 degrees? If so the battery or other internal parts of the car may have been somewhat warm and HVAC interconnects may have then just bled some of that heat to the car.

And on your way home presuming the outside air was as warm or warmer than your car internals where air ducts go through so you wouldn't notice.

I used to try to turn off or reduce A/C or heater use in EVs (PleiadeS is my 8th EV) but clearly manufacturers are reducing manual controls and have improved heating efficiency so now at most I open windows when the car is super hot to vent and then moderate the temperature I set it to. (I use 65 in winter here and heated seats/wheel to compensate).

Given you are using PLAID mode, what you are doing with your right foot is FAR more likely to impact efficiency than turning off AC... Just leave it on auto and adjust temperature a bit if you want to be more efficient.

I really wish they could give us a Plaid+ (or Track-) where it could be rear biased with lowered traction control but NOT have those fans blasting heat out ... It drives like a real sports car in Track mode with rear bias, but like a (super crazy fast) boat in Plaid mode...