Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2024.14.6 problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got the update to 2024.14.6 yesterday before first drive. Both yesterday and today, after about 2 hours in the sun at about 90F, all safety features, regen braking, autopilot, and hold at stop were disabled with continuous warnings on the screen. It said it "may" be restored for the next drive. Moving to park and doing a soft reboot had no effect. After several hours of cooler temps yesterday it came back. After being in the grocery store for 45 min (still hot) today it came back. The car drove without trouble, although the coasting felt very strange vs normal.

I just moved the autopilot setting back from FSD (monitored) to lane keeping (the middle setting) to see if that affects it.

If this happens again I will report it here and tell Tesla about it (request service?) in the app.

Got the update to 2024.14.6 yesterday before first drive. Both yesterday and today, after about 2 hours in the sun at about 90F, all safety features, regen braking, autopilot, and hold at stop were disabled with continuous warnings on the screen. It said it "may" be restored for the next drive. Moving to park and doing a soft reboot had no effect. After several hours of cooler temps yesterday it came back. After being in the grocery store for 45 min (still hot) today it came back. The car drove without trouble, although the coasting felt very strange vs normal.

I just moved the autopilot setting back from FSD (monitored) to lane keeping (the middle setting) to see if that affects it.

If this happens again I will report it here and tell Tesla about it (request service?) in the app.
Maybe consider getting and using some sun shades? Sounds more like the MCU got roasted rather than an issue with 14.6, since I also have 14.6.

Maybe consider getting and using some sun shades? Sounds more like the MCU got roasted rather than an issue with 14.6, since I also have 14.6.
The car is over a year old and never had a single problem until 2 hours after the new software install. After decades in software I really don't much believe in coincidence. I believe it is some interaction with the software with a probability of at least 0.8.

After decades in software I really don't much believe in coincidence.

The car is over a year old and never had a single problem until 2 hours after the new software install. After decades in software I really don't much believe in coincidence. I believe it is some interaction with the software with a probability of at least 0.8.
Then isn't also true that the fact it occurred immediately after you left it roasting in the sun wouldn't be a coincidence to you?

And that it was fine after everything got cooler?

Same happened to my car with the update. A bunch of warnings and safety systems deactivated, no autopilot, and no regenerative brakes. There's definitely a software issue. There were a few other people on Reddit with the same problem with 3s or Ys. Mine is a Y performance built 11/23. It's been 5 days, this is ridiculous.

Reactions: terranx
My car is at the Tesla service center. They don't think it's the software but I still do. I had water build up in the trunk during rain, which there is a tsb for, and they're blaming that saying it fried a harness or something. Except we haven't had the heavy rains in months now and it's been fine 🤷‍♂️. I had it on the service appt also because I've been meaning to take care of it

I have the same problem with mine occured after the update. mine also have no airbag, no lane departure, no auto regen, etc.

I sent a service request, but they cleared it the next day stating, "The alerts were falsely set due to error within the new firmware."

"No repairs are needed at this time, a future fix to be coming will resolve false alerts"

I got pushed 2024.14.6 to my 2022 M3P Tuesday evening and drove it yesterday. I got the FSD trial but turned it off so I could use normal TACC without having to deal with the car trying to kill me.

I do a "Power Off" from the safety menu followed by a thumbwheel reset after every software push just in case.

No issues with safety alerts, airbag warnings, disabled regen, or overheating.

The only bugs I encountered were minor.

1. My car is now a weird dark maroon color instead of bright red, both in the Tesla app and the on-screen visualization. It's normally close to the color of my avatar, and now it stands out a lot less as "my" car in the (busier, probably because of the FSD trial) visualization now.
2. The "Up Next" display in the media player doesn't always show when streaming from my iPhone. (Bluetooth)

I only drove into town to pick up some food so I didn't get to test extensively and it's not hot here in PA yet so no overheating issues. I also have one of the lat of the Atom-based MCU2 cars, which probably runs cooler than the Ryzen processor.

I would think the service centre's response of firmware bug is more credible than the MCU overheating theory. Most of those safety features are driven by the FSD computer behind the glovebox, and the MCU is simply a user interface to them.

My wild guess is that Tesla has multiple wiring harness manufacturers and their parts can vary in noise/interference filtering characteristics under edge case conditions. Some unfortunate combination of these part variants on certain cars under certain conditions will trigger bugs that are probably hard to predict for the software teams.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
Yup, first time in a while an update really messed with my car. I lost all cameras, all my lights remained on, stability control weird etc. I did both a soft & hard reboot, and parked overnight. Looks ok again today but lost cameras for 30 seconds on my only trip today. This will get updated very quickly I hope. M3 LR 2020

Reactions: SpaceShipDrvr
I got this version pushed to my older 2017 MX a couple days ago. Don't have any of the strange things people talking about above.

I went out on 3 different trips about 20-25 miles and back home and mostly saying "WOW" (in a good way) the whole time. I was impressed at many of the things it was doing that I never saw before and had trouble with. In all 3 trips, I disengaged twice, but only because I wanted to take a different route or stop for something to eat. The drives were amazing after I've complained for years about all of the various strange things that FSDb would do. I'm finally starting to like it. Here are some things I noticed:

Roundabouts (traffic circles): A few of them near my home and finally doing it correctly. Staying in the proper lane, not speeding around them anymore and properly yielding. This has always been a problem for me, even in version 11 threads.

Not blocking intersections: Maybe this has been in there awhile and I just noticed, yet in ver 11, it wasn't working for me. In heavy traffic today even with a green light, the car stayed at the traffic light because it saw there was not enough space to move behind the car in front without blocking the intersection. Then when they pulled forward a bit and the car saw more space, it pulled through the intersection and behind the car that was stopped. Very cool. Just what I would have done.

Construction: Finally, it was handling the massive nasty 2 mile stretch of construction on a highway not far from the house. Changed lanes and merged perfectly at the right times.

Navigating parking lots: Twice I turned on FSD while still in different parking lots and it managed to slowly get to the main road without threatening people or getting confused. Never worked before in those areas. I previously had to get to the road before activating.

No Jerking steering wheel. I had some issues in V11. Last couple of days during all drives, VERY smooth turns.

The ONE THING I didn't really like but was ok with it was the aggressive start-off speed into a left turn from a stop sign.

It it perfect yet. Of course not, but I am super impressed for a change. I'll bet there are still situations where people have seen it do weird things. I just haven't seen it.... YET :rolleyes:

Newish to the Tesla family with a 2021 M3p and got this update last week.
So far for me it's hit n miss.
Likes... Bigger speedo and less ghost braking.
Dislikes.... Regen meter... Now useless
Audio used to an easy swipe up to select source which was for a UK car neatly beside the steering wheel... Now it on the passenger side and a tiny icon... Very dangerous to use and generally have to pull over to safely select a new source.... Same way it's always been on the Navigation.
Seriously Tesla... Who puts ANY icon away from the drivers side.... I accept that it's one screen for an International vehicle but would it really be so difficult to sit in a car and try these screen layout change BEFORE being released.
I also find that my 2nd 9inch speedo takes ages now to get data from the tyre sensors.

Overall I don't find the car nicer to own with this update.

As for the Op issue.... Has the 12v battery been checked.... New or old they are the power source for everything and some batteries don't do well in heat... A simple load test on it will determine if it's in good shape... I had similar issues over the years with numerous cars.. Abs fault, steering faults, TCS faults and all went away after getting the battery checked and either replaced or reconditioned from a quality charger.

I'm back on MCU2, and after this latest 14.6 update, my nav has a glitch.
It will randomly spin about 90 degrees, then go back. And it happens whether I have the compass set to the car or to North.
If it's set to the car, the map spins, and if it's set to North, the car spins.
This happens whether I'm actually navigating to a destination or not.

Haven't noticed other bugs yet, as I don't have FSD/AP. I haven't tried a reboot.
Hopefully the 14.7 bug fix comes soon and takes care of it.