Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

400GB music scanning speed too slow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I have a 1TB Samsung T7 Shield SSD connected in the glove box.

It has a 500GB Teslacam EXFAT partition and a 500gb EXFAT Music partition.

There's just under 100,000 mp3 files. Unfortunately my 40 minute drive that I do twice per day isn't long enough for it to complete scanning the music.

Does anyone have experience with higher volumes of mp3s? I think i'd be willing to use the centre console if it mounted the music faster, as the glovebox connection is no good in my use case.

Thoughts?

There's just under 100,000 mp3 files. Unfortunately my 40 minute drive that I do twice per day isn't long enough for it to complete scanning the music.

Make sure you are using the Blue USB port as this is a USB 3.0 port

I would try checking the drive on your computer. Maybe it needs to be defragged or has bad sectors that need to be addressed.

In the end, 30,000 mp3 files may just be too much.

I think i'd be willing to use the centre console if it mounted the music faster, as the glovebox connection is no good in my use case.

Thoughts?

My first immediate thought is that you dont say what model year (plate) vehicle you have, but any car made after about november of 2021 will not have data ports in the center console as the car comes from the factory (meaning "I would be willing to use the centre console" wont work).

My first immediate thought is that you dont say what model year (plate) vehicle you have, but any car made after about november of 2021 will not have data ports in the center console as the car comes from the factory (meaning "I would be willing to use the centre console" wont work).
Sorry, I did intend to say it's a 2021 Tesla
Make sure you are using the Blue USB port as this is a USB 3.0 port

I would try checking the drive on your computer. Maybe it needs to be defragged or has bad sectors that need to be addressed.

In the end, 30,000 mp3 files may just be too much.
I believe there's only 1 port in the glovebox, no choice of a blue port. I guess it's USB 2.0 in there, but was hoping people on here might know.

The Samsung T7 Shield was minutes old when I formatted it and copied over the mp3s. I very much doubt it needs defragmenting, plus it's an SSD not mechanical so defragging doesn't bring any gain.

Likewise very unlikely to have bad sectors being brand new and never used before copying the music files.

It's not 30,000 files, it's more than triple that. But i'm inclined to agree it might be too much for it to handle. It's a shame the OS doesn't commit the scan results to a permanent table of contents file.

Sorry, I did intend to mention the year but totally forgot.

It's a 21 reg, ex lease so I suspect it has data in the centre console ports.