Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ausgrid changing pricing for electricity grid access

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And how much of that goes through the powerwall?

I’m happy to give you chapter and verse if you want, rather than answer one question at a time.

But to answer that one question… on average… 7.5 kWh/day of solar went into the battery, 1.3 kWh/day of grid went into the battery, and 7.7 kWh/day of battery went to the house. A tiny amount went out from battery to grid.

So you are underusing the battery.
Here is the rub . It's been shown that battery longevity deteriorates rapidly when depth of discharge is > 25% at least in the NMC type batteries. A battery should be appropriately sized. I'm not sure that 80% depth of discharge everyday is appropriately sizing the battery. In the case of house batteries, For most people, It comes down to the relevant cost differential between warranted kWh out of the battery and the cost of grid power. However, a battery's lifespan might be well in excess of warranty if low depth of discharge is used - but might outlive the associated electronics.

Last edited:
It's been shown that battery longevity deteriorates rapidly when depth of discharge is > 25% at least in the NMC type batteries. A battery should be appropriately sized. I'm not sure that 80% depth of discharge everyday is appropriately sizing the battery.

House batteries are inevitably going to be aggressively cycled - that’s the whole point of them. My PW2 is cycled, on average, 0.63 times per day. Most days it will reach 100% charge (either through solar or me telling it to grid charge overnight when the solar forecast is poor) and then be discharged all the way to 10%, which I have set as the minimum.

Reactions: Jules22
Interesting. So you are underusing the battery. If you are consuming 30kWh/day of which only 7.7kWh are through the battery, then you are utilising solar really well.

Well I hope so 😄 because I’m doing everything possible to maximise self-consumption and minimise grid use. I’ve now relinquished control of the battery and given it to Amber, so we’ll see how that goes.

Even still, over the past 12 months, solar has only provided 51.4% of our total electricity use. The 2 EVs do chew up quite a bit.

Reactions: johnchidgey