Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Backwards tire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I never rotate from side to side but always front to back. I used to be under the impression that the tire took a 'set' to the rotation, and to reverse the rotation it would loosen the steel belts within. But that may have been 'old school' ideas.

There is absolutely no reason to go back and get the tire flipped. When installing a tire, you look for "inside" or "outside" - if it lacks that, you throw it on however you're holding the tire. The fact that the other 3 have the date code showing is likely completely random.

The fact that they're over a year old is also of no concern. I just got some brand new staggered Michelin PS4S for a customer from the warehouse and they were dated Mid-2022. Mainstream tires are usually delivered to me with a 2023 or 2024 date. But specialty EV tires or odd sizes don't move as much inventory, so they sit for a little while at the warehouse.

I don't think Tire Rack starts discounting their tires until they hit 3 or 4+ years old. You can sometimes find their old stock for sale at a nice discount.

There is absolutely no reason to go back and get the tire flipped. When installing a tire, you look for "inside" or "outside" - if it lacks that, you throw it on however you're holding the tire. The fact that the other 3 have the date code showing is likely completely random.

The fact that they're over a year old is also of no concern. I just got some brand new staggered Michelin PS4S for a customer from the warehouse and they were dated Mid-2022. Mainstream tires are usually delivered to me with a 2023 or 2024 date. But specialty EV tires or odd sizes don't move as much inventory, so they sit for a little while at the warehouse.

I don't think Tire Rack starts discounting their tires until they hit 3 or 4+ years old. You can sometimes find their old stock for sale at a nice discount.
Looking at your avatar -- I will take your word for 'gospel.' Thanks for the reply!

Reactions: fiehlsport
When installing a tire, you look for "inside" or "outside" - if it lacks that, you throw it on however you're holding the tire.
Forgot to mention that a tech will look for a "Rotation ---->" designation as well as Inside or Outside.
Looking at your avatar -- I will take your word for 'gospel.' Thanks for the reply!
No problem!