Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger etiquette

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I used a Tesla supercharger for the first time. I’m a non Tesla driver and my charging port is on the driver’s side rear.
I found one stall where the cable was able to reach, reversed and plugged in. As I was doing this, a Tesla reversed into the adjacent stall and told me that I was charging from the “wrong side”, preventing him from charging his car!
As a first time user, I was a bit flustered and allowed him to charge his car.
Another stall became vacant and I was able to charge there.
Am I correct in assuming that you can connect to a charger from either side?

Tesla stalls are designed for cars with charging port on the rear left side (driving in Continental Europe), or from right side (parking front first). Be mindful of the layout when you charge. In most places, you would render one spot useless and use 2 spots for charging. If busy, this will drive some heated discussions...New locations do a better job at managing this.

Tesla stalls are designed for cars with charging port on the rear left side (driving in Continental Europe), or from right side (parking front first). Be mindful of the layout when you charge. In most places, you would render one spot useless and use 2 spots for charging. If busy, this will drive some heated discussions...New locations do a better job at managing
Unfortunately that is the inevitable risk of Tesla allowing other brands to use their superchargers. At the location I was using, there was one additional space on the right hand side of the stalls, which I could have used without affecting anyone else, but a Tesla was charging from the relevant charger.
If can use chargers without inconveniencing anyone else, I will. Otherwise, it’s first come, first served. Can never see myself charging for more than 30 minutes at a time, so it’s not the end of the world.
Perhaps they should fit longer retractable cables and then everyone will be happy!