Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Commercial Crew Transportation Capability (CCtCap) SpaceX and Boeing Developments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple of months ago when Elon did his Boca Chica Starship presentation I got interested in comparing the differences between Dragon 2 versus Starliner. I was struck by the total number of rocket thrusters used by each spacecraft. The Crew Dragon has a total of 26. It has 8 SuperDraco engines for aborts and 18 Draco for attitude control, orbital maneuvering, and deorbiting.

Starliner is equipped with 4 for potential launch aborts, 20 to support orbital maneuvers, 28 for on-orbit maneuvering and ISS reboost, and finally 12 for atmospheric re-entry. A total of 64. Amazing number, necessary or just added complexity?

To quote Elon during his September TX presentation, "The thing I’m most impressed with when I have design meetings at SpaceX is, ‘What did you undesign?’ Undesigning is the best thing. Just delete it, that’s the best thing."
Post from December 2019.....In a field of 64, it only takes 1 to screw the pooch. Boeing complexity coming home to roost.

Ars: Boeing is troubleshooting a small helium leak on the Starliner spacecraft

They are not going to physically repair the helium leak. Hmm.
According to NASA, engineers plan to address the helium leak using "spacecraft testing and operational solutions." In other words, managers don't anticipate any need to physically repair the leak. "As a part of the testing, Boeing will bring the propulsion system up to flight pressurization just as it does prior to launch, and then allow the helium system to vent naturally to validate existing data and strengthen flight rationale," NASA officials wrote in a blog post Tuesday. Flight rationale is NASA-speak for gaining confidence in understanding a problem and getting comfortable it would not pose an added risk during the flight.
So it remains to be seen whether or not that approach will work.

Reactions: Grendal