Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cybertruck Will Feel Dated By the Time it Comes Out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I am reading correctly, most all manufacturers are cutting back on EV production; possibly even Tesla (soon) as their sales are slumping. Today. But that seems to be be growing pains and slow adoption vs. a return to gasoline technology. These vehicles are BETTER in most ways but today, initial cost is not one of those ways. A few years ago I saw a graph that showed ICE production costs steadily increasing (as has almost always been the case) and EV costs declining with a predicted crossing point near at hand (where an EV would have become the less expensive choice.). That was the predicted beginning of mass adoption.

My opinion is that the decline in sales is because Detroit starting spewing FUD about how EVs aren't the solution. And that was ONLY because they were having production issues.

My opinion is that the decline in sales is because Detroit starting spewing FUD about how EVs aren't the solution. And that was ONLY because they were having production issues.
I think it had more to do with a lack of good infrastructure to support charging.

EVs work for a lot of people as-is but people who travel a lot or to remote places it does not work as well for. This is why hybrids and phev are popular. You can charge at home but are unlikely to get stranded in the event you need to take a longer trip or a trip somewhere remote.

Most people I talk to prefer hybrids for just that reason. Its not a marketing thing, its a EVs don’t work for every situation thing.

Many people who have EVs also have an ICE for backup to cover these scenarios as well. Not everyone wants to hang out in a random parking lot waiting for a charger with kids screaming in the back….then when you get to the charger remind them its going to be a while.

Higher voltage like many manufacturers are doing will help reduce charging times. You also need the infrastructure to support it as well (each charger being able to do the full 350kW at the same time).

Another point is EVs are still selling, its just not increasing sales YoY like was anticipated. There is still a steady demand even if its not as much as we want!

Last edited:
Reactions: Suns_PSD
I think it had more to do with a lack of good infrastructure to support charging.

EVs work for a lot of people as-is but people who travel a lot or to remote places it does not work as well for. This is why hybrids and phev are popular. You can charge at home but are unlikely to get stranded in the event you need to take a longer trip or a trip somewhere remote.

Most people I talk to prefer hybrids for just that reason. Its not a marketing thing, its a EVs don’t work for every situation thing.

Many people who have EVs also have an ICE for backup to cover these scenarios as well. Not everyone wants to hang out in a random parking lot waiting for a charger with kids screaming in the back….then when you get to the charger remind them its going to be a while.

Higher voltage like many manufacturers are doing will help reduce charging times. You also need the infrastructure to support it as well (each charger being able to do the full 350kW at the same time).

Another point is EVs are still selling, its just not increasing sales YoY like was anticipated. There is still a steady demand even if its not as much as we want!

I've always believed that as more people live with EV's, they'll learn that many of these "an EV won't work for this situation" fears are completely unfounded. I've been ICE-free (BEV only household) for over 6 years now, and have done plenty of road/tent-camping trips with kids in tow.

BUT my friend in Indiana wouldn't road-trip with his Tesla, because he's not comfortable with the idea of driving with less than 30% charge. So I get that people are fearful and it's holding back adoption, but that's all that it is -- fear.

I've always believed that as more people live with EV's, they'll learn that many of these "an EV won't work for this situation" fears are completely unfounded. I've been ICE-free (BEV only household) for over 6 years now, and have done plenty of road/tent-camping trips with kids in tow.

BUT my friend in Indiana wouldn't road-trip with his Tesla, because he's not comfortable with the idea of driving with less than 30% charge. So I get that people are fearful and it's holding back adoption, but that's all that it is -- fear.
I guess your friend would have freaked out when I too my Cybertruck for a 250+ mile round trip this weekend and arrived home at 6%.
And the last part was over mountains and rural areas and the nearest Supercharge was back at the midway point. And one of the 3000 ft mountains was near the end.

Reactions: Suns_PSD

Good point. I think especially with the options available now EVs can work for a good majority of use cases. Its not that I believe they can’t its that is the general perception which is holding people back.

When I looked for a new (to me) car in 2019 the offerings I could afford were not that great and were < 100mi range which is just a little more than to work and back so it did not work. Next vehicle will most likely be an EV as range is not a concern anymore for me.

Hoping there are some electric midsize trucks available by then in the US.

Reactions: Oil4AsphaultOnly
I guess your friend would have freaked out when I too my Cybertruck for a 250+ mile round trip this weekend and arrived home at 6%.
And the last part was over mountains and rural areas and the nearest Supercharge was back at the midway point. And one of the 3000 ft mountains was near the end.

And I've done the same, but arrived home with 2% remaining. The point is that some people can't get over their fears, and no amount of our own personal experience will convince them otherwise ... until they've experienced it themselves.

And I've done the same, but arrived home with 2% remaining. The point is that some people can't get over their fears, and no amount of our own personal experience will convince them otherwise ... until they've experienced it themselves.

Tell us you are a single man that doesn't have to concern themselves with running out of juice with a child on a cold night or hanging out in an empty mall parking lot at 1am for 40 minutes charging as a female, without actually saying it out loud.

Thanks!

Tell us you are a single man that doesn't have to concern themselves with running out of juice with a child on a cold night or hanging out in an empty mall parking lot at 1am for 40 minutes charging as a female, without actually saying it out loud.

Thanks!

Read my previous posts to see how way off you are. You're gripped by the fear that I mentioned earlier.

I am an admitted gambler though, so there is that. But unlike a roulette table, I can always call a tow truck (and deal with the verbal chastising) if my gamble doesn't pay off. Not everything is as dire as you fear it to be.

How is that any different than running out of gas on a desolate highway or having to refuel in a sketchy neighborhood? The answer to the first one is preparation (make sure you have enough energy before you go and have things like food, water, and blankets in case you get stuck) and the answer to the second one is to have the tools and training to defend yourself. Bottom line is that regardless of your chosen propulsion method, the only person responsible for you is you.

Reactions: israndy

Thanks!

If you want to go there, I have to ask. Why were you a single female with a kid out at 1AM? Why was the car not already charged?

That's EXACTLY the sorta *sugar* I was thinking I'd do when I got my Cybertruck, or do Baja or Alaska, so of course I got a Model X with FUSC instead. It does have light hail damage from the previous owner so a little adventure. But probably never going to do any of those things now.