Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Delivery shenanigans.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
eht he lights are not sealed, water and condensation will come and go
Let's say for the benefit of discussion that was true and acceptable.

The water was still there after a full day in the sun facing north.

That means the lights will stay damp.

That means they will go black with mould and grow moss in the spring.

Still acceptable? I say no. Tesla won't enter discussion.

I am subject to random roadworthyness inspections. If water in tail like that photo I am off the road with a ticket.

Tesla responded. It had a warrant when it left. I chewed him up for that.

A WOF or COF is only as valid as the condition it is on the day. Everyone knows this, but hey, now you know. Tesla does not respond.

Leakage is not acceptable.

It is unacceptable that they will not respond to my objections.

I could easily pull the lights and fix them on their behalf. They won't give the go ahead and continue a warranty against leakage. That's nuts but their choice and I accept that.

As of writing I haven't accepted the car.

They claim there is an acceptable standard for the amount of moisture in the lens. Not defective! Maybe in Teslaland but not in Taxiland where we are subject to random roadworthiness inspections.

I showed photo to wof inspector and he laughed at the suggestion there is an acceptable level of visible water.

View attachment 1048000
Insta fail for visible water.

It's a really good car for me otherwise!

They initially told me this is a vented design which I called BS on because light lenses are sealed. Today I found a vid explaining all the BS in great detail. It really is a vented design!!!! And boy is it BS. Easy enough to fix but they won't allow me to do the job.

The light IS a sealed light the same as every other light these days in every respect, except the T mod. They told me "environmental conditions lead to moisture inside, but it's no problem".

The updated design has a goretex patch over a hole in the case! Way to go T! Don't fix the design so lense piece can be successfully welded to bulb carrier piece, that would cost megabucks. Patch it instead as most people won't mind a half day of moist lense.

It's a brand new car! I want a brand new car that can pass a COF when it is booked in, and every day down the road it has to be the same standard. Not weather dependent! If I get inspected roadside by the God Squad and it is all wet like the picture I am out of work until it is remedied. If I book a COF inspection and it rains overnight the wrong night I can't go. This falls on deaf ears.

They even ignore the fact that if I leave it the lense will go mouldy because it is always getting washed. Wash water is full of nutrients for stuff to grow! It will be perpetually damp in there. Do the maths!

Ball is in their court to rectify. They can either acknowledge it is faulty or they can fix it. They refuse to even acknowledge it is faulty! It sure as hell is not fit for purpose so they haven't a leg to stand on. Watch this space.

According to the nzta that isnt correct

1716333998918.png

Moderators note:
It’s not appropriate to ‘Dare’ anyone.
You’ve made your point and others have responded.
To all members, please keep the conversation civil.

Moderators hat off
My Model S is 8.5 years old and gets washed weekly.
It suffers from similar condensation, particularly in winter.
It has never grown any mould in the headlights or taillights and they are all original to the car.
If it were me, I would show the picture of the actual condensation on your vehicle to the person who does your regular WOF inspection and take the posted ruling with you and ask for clarification.
Armed with better information, you can then make the decision to reject or accept the new car with more confidence.

Moderators note:
It’s not appropriate to ‘Dare’ anyone.
You’ve made your point and others have responded.
To all members, please keep the conversation civil.

Moderators hat off
My Model S is 8.5 years old and gets washed weekly.
It suffers from similar condensation, particularly in winter.
It has never grown any mould in the headlights or taillights and they are all original to the car.
If it were me, I would show the picture of the actual condensation on your vehicle to the person who does your regular WOF inspection and take the posted ruling with you and ask for clarification.
Armed with better information, you can then make the decision to reject or accept the new car with more confidence.
Sorry about that.

I already showed photo to a wof inspector. He failed it. Does not sway their resolve to have me accept it as is.

They came back with "environmental moisture" again so I reminded them the fact only 2 lights have the moisture. How cam this be? Obvious those have leaks.

Environmental moisture is when air of different moisture levels passes the vent and causes condensation when there is a change if temperature.

Two lights have leaks which did not get burned off by a full day in the sun.

We get less sun down here. Lights do go black from mould.

Crickets and a referral to the warranty. I have asked to be passed up to senior management. They can take the heat.

Don’t doubt your experience.
I too live in a cool environment, living in the Southern Highlands of NSW.
I’m not defending Teslas position, but I also think the inspector is being unreasonable. But you live in the environment not me.
Despite being very popular amongst the Uber crowd in Sydney, perhaps a Tesla is not suited to your specific needs. But having just washed a 2022 BMW 530i that belongs to a friend, and seen similar condensation, I’m not sure Tesla is alone in the way it handles lighting condensation, which will potentially limit the number of suitable vehicles for your use case.
Good luck. 🙏

Don’t doubt your experience.
I too live in a cool environment, living in the Southern Highlands of NSW.
I’m not defending Teslas position, but I also think the inspector is being unreasonable. But you live in the environment not me.
Despite being very popular amongst the Uber crowd in Sydney, perhaps a Tesla is not suited to your specific needs. But having just washed a 2022 BMW 530i that belongs to a friend, and seen similar condensation, I’m not sure Tesla is alone in the way it handles lighting condensation, which will potentially limit the number of suitable vehicles for your use case.
Good luck. 🙏
Nonbody else gets atmospheric condensation as the air itself is quite dry as a rule. A cracked light suffers.

You don't see any random wetness in any of the other taxis. No BMW mind. Toyotas rule. With a smattering of Korean.

A coherently welded light does not get wet inside the lense. Wash water can't reach the back vent.

Tesla can't reliably weld theirs so put a big goretexed hole in the back and call it good. I just want a couple.of the good units to replace a couple that are no good. It's not a big ask on a brand new car.

Check your latitude vs mine. Sun stays low in the sky.
Great big mountains all around dropping cold air on us at night and shading the town from mid afternoon. Doesn't rise too quickly either. Not that the taxi stand in town gets much sun on the back end of taxis even if it's sunny. 2 of 7 spots get any sun on the rear.

The route from town to airport is in full shade and the airport rank is much more east west than north south.

They are going to suffer and look horrible if left in there.

The car sat in full sun all day and didn't burn off the leakage. Only one side suffering from atmospheric intrusion? Pull the other one!

@QtownTaxiGreg , stand your ground, as it's brand new car... one of the other member had car delivered quite late, after few months he complained that AC doesn't work as it should be - he went around few time to finally convince them and they found that at factory they forgot to add one of the vent panel for entire batch of cars, including his.

Simple comparison would be another Tesla in your area... when yours have condensation and that car doesn't - yours's is faulty.... if both does - it's either simply faulty design or no one else complaining.

Reactions: QtownTaxiGreg
You have learned early, that Tesla's response is based on whether they have hit the month's limit on warranty claims.
Merits do not drive the discussion, ever.
You have made a complaint, copy the correspondence to a safe place.
If it fails a WOF, initiate Disputes proceedings, do not burn your energy on the Tesla Stonewall.
Or just start the proceedings, your merits are good.
Headlights are precision instruments, and moisture compromises their performance.
It's a safety thing, never mind the VIRM quoted above and intended for Morris Minors with Lucas electrics.
Crazily, I once bleated about a little fog on one of the taillights, and Tesla replaced both units on site under warranty, within 24 hours.
Must've been a slow month.

But you have to give a little with Tesla - you did not not buy an Audi, after all.
I hand wash mine because it leaks like a sieve on things that matter, in a carwash.
And I wax it because the paint would turn to chalk otherwise.
It's a thing of beauty; I love my Tesla, and it saves on gym fees.

You bought a Model 3P for taxi use??
Here's free advice:
Do not make a habit of showing your friends how your face peels off from a standing start.
You will replace suspension bushes forever, and regularly replace front tyres which have invisibly eaten their inside sidewalls down to the cords.
Also: that sum you made on Whole Life Cost?
In the bin.
Just enjoy the car, safe in the knowledge that no-one has caught up yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: QtownTaxiGreg
do not burn your energy on the Tesla Stonewall.
Ha. A weeks worth of that already! Not sleeping or eating properly. I get worked up when people won't see wood for trees persist peddling nonsense when I have told them everything they need to know to come to the correct conclusion.

Today we got a resolution. It only happened after I insisted on getting to the guy's boss on threat of MBE complaint.

We go start straight down the whole "I am not an engineer" road so I put it to him that I would need to speak to someone who can answer common sense questions such as why one side of the car has condensation and not the other.

All of a sudden we are due to be getting new lights. If I can snaffle the old ones and seal them up I have insurance on the new ones being duff. Hell, I might even get the tech to seal the new ones preemptively so he doesn't have to come back.

So that is how to get the leaky lights seen to. They are leaking not condensating. Not fit for purpose.

Too bad if all four are duff!

He was very helpful answering questions about ongoing servicing.

• Love
Reactions: Audietron
Model 3P for taxi use??
Not 3P. MYLR. I don't intend taking it out of chill very often at all.

Not going to bear tearing up tyres. Probably suspension bushes will be needed more frequently regardless. I am used to that. COF don't like no play.

Whole life cost?

It's mainly a dice roll on the battery lasting assuming we don't break things. There's plenty of savings from fuel and servicing that if I do break things it becomes a wash with getting another diesel or a Rav4 Hybrid. That's how I look at it.

They are coming next week to replace the duff lights. I asked if I could keep them and fix them for spares in case the new ones are also duff.

Nope.

The new lights supplied are "goodwill". Ie no liability admitted. Go figure.

My actual plan was to run an exchange for anyone else having issues. Send me your duff ones and I send you fixed ones. Save the planet.

My fear is they take my lights and put them in the carefully curated boxes for the next one. After the bs I have endured I would not put it past them. The new ones "may get condensation this is normal". Dude, save it for someone with no life experience.

I am buying a tin of the liquid tape. It's a 15min job to pull a lamp, seal the weld and put it back.

No need to dry out the light before sealing if you ask me. Just park it in the sun and that'll be all she wrote for condensation in it. It's highly vented after all!

Reactions: Ecoli and Audietron