Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disabling of speed camera warnings for driving in France

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if the recent additions of speed camera warnings are disabled when driving through France?

I understand it's illegal to have a device that warns of speed cameras in France, including those as part of satnav systems. Does Tesla disable them based on location?

I live in France. So far, the Tesla system has warned me of 'Risk/Danger Zones'. However, these are quite long stretches of road and the actual camera locations may or may not be correct. Waze on the other hand seems to offer complete info on fixed and reported mobile camera locations although it states it may not.

• Informative
Reactions: golfcaddy and GSP
The manual says:
Screenshot 2024-05-17 at 22.50.22.png

• Helpful
Reactions: golfcaddy and GSP
I am currently in France and the buzzer alarms me when in the speed check zone and there is a red exclamation mark on the road to signify the exact position of the camera. The manual suggests that these red exclamation marks are unique to France.

Reactions: golfcaddy
Of course, there is no arrangement for fines to be sent to you in the UK, if caught by a speed camera in France...
Which might mean you get away with it, or might mean you get pulled over by the police or boarder control over unpaid fines if you revisit the country.

Personally I'd prefer to try and avoid speeding anyway, and if not, get fines by post and pay them

I am currently in France and the buzzer alarms me when in the speed check zone and there is a red exclamation mark on the road to signify the exact position of the camera. The manual suggests that these red exclamation marks are unique to France.
The red exclamation mark does NOT indicate the exact position of the camera. I suspect it is simply displayed at he middle of the stretch of road designated as a 'danger zone'. The camera can be anywhere, from the very beginning of that portion to the very end..

Which might mean you get away with it, or might mean you get pulled over by the police or boarder control over unpaid fines if you revisit the country.

Personally I'd prefer to try and avoid speeding anyway, and if not, get fines by post and pay them
They don't do that. They can only catch you on the spot.
And pending fines are cancelled after 1 year. Statute of limitations.

Last edited:
Reactions: btc1k

Trust me. You may have been lucky with one somewhere but nearly every day I travel along a road with fixed cameras and the exclamation marks are not in the same place as either of the cameras.

Reactions: MrT3