Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Discussion of SpaceX's Government Satellite Network: Starshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
He's the chair of the "United States House Select Committee on Strategic Competition between the United States and the Chinese Communist Party". Officially abbreviated as the "Select Committee on the CCP". It was formed a little over a year ago, and Taiwan is certainly in their bailiwick. Congress has the power to conduct investigations as part of its oversight function - to ensure that the laws are being properly implemented and enforced by the executive branch. So he's following established process.

The whole thing smells of political posturing. It's a seemingly-absurd reason to investigate, and I assume they went after Elon because the Taiwanese don't like him. So they drag him around a bit, tell the Taiwanese that we're looking after their interests and the politicians are happy.

Reactions: Grendal
He's the chair of the "United States House Select Committee on Strategic Competition between the United States and the Chinese Communist Party". Officially abbreviated as the "Select Committee on the CCP". It was formed a little over a year ago, and Taiwan is certainly in their bailiwick. Congress has the power to conduct investigations as part of its oversight function - to ensure that the laws are being properly implemented and enforced by the executive branch. So he's following established process.

The whole thing smells of political posturing. It's a seemingly-absurd reason to investigate, and I assume they went after Elon because the Taiwanese don't like him. So they drag him around a bit, tell the Taiwanese that we're looking after their interests and the politicians are happy.
Why are they carrying Taiwan’s water? Sure they have Taiwan’s interests at heart, but that doesn’t mean they have to crap on an American company?

Reactions: Grendal
Why are they carrying Taiwan’s water? Sure they have Taiwan’s interests at heart, but that doesn’t mean they have to crap on an American company?
I expect it is better than overtly siding with Taiwan over China and potentially escalating an already difficult and contentious situation.

The bad thing is that Elon probably wouldn't get the political maneuvering, unless someone prepared him ahead of time. I think he is too straightforward a person. He is very good with humor but political maneuvering.....not so much his style.

Elon made comments about Taiwan and China a while back that Taiwan didn't like. Elon should have kept his mouth shut. This isn't crapping on an American company. This is yanking Elon's chain so that Gallagher scores points with Taiwan.

I'm making this up. I have no idea what's going on behind the scenes, so I'm just projecting based on what I know about geopolitics and the cultures of various countries. When it comes to politics, things can get childish and petty very quickly.

As to why we care about Taiwan, I'm sure you know the answer: TSMC. It's the same mess that we're in with the Middle East; if the supplies are disrupted, then the world economy falters, and that means the US economy falters.

The bad thing is that Elon probably wouldn't get the political maneuvering, unless someone prepared him ahead of time. I think he is too straightforward a person. He is very good with humor but political maneuvering.....not so much his style.
He self-diagnosed as having Asperger's Syndrome, and I believe it. That means that he doesn't understand people. Politics is entirely about understanding people, so he's completely and utterly out of his depth. If he would just stick to challenges of science, technology and industry, the world would be a much better place.

Reactions: Grendal and ecarfan
Reuters: Musk’s SpaceX is building spy satellite network for US intelligence agency, sources say

It’s a report about Starshield, which I thought was only a dedicated and secure US military comms network, separate from the consumer Starlink system. But according to this new report:
The network is being built by SpaceX's Starshield business unit under a $1.8 billion contract signed in 2021 with the National Reconnaissance Office (NRO), an intelligence agency that manages spy satellites, the sources said...Reuters reporting discloses for the first time that the SpaceX contract is for a powerful new spy system with hundreds of satellites bearing Earth-imaging capabilities that can operate as a swarm in low orbits, and that the spy agency that Musk's company is working with is the NRO.
It appears this is a new project for the NRO, separate from the US military Starshield project.

Musk has massive conflicts of interest between SpaceX and Tesla. With Tesla he wants to sell cars globally, and China is a critical market. How is China going to react to another Musk company building a vast network of spy satellites that will of course be spying on China, and basically every other country in the world?

Reuters: China's military, state media slam U.S. after Reuters report on SpaceX spy satellites
A social media account run by the People's Liberation Army (PLA) said the SpaceX program exposed the United States' "shamelessness and double standards" as Washington accuses Chinese tech companies of threatening U.S. security. "We urge U.S. companies to not help a villain do evil,"
So now the Chinese government (if the PLA says it, it comes from the government) is calling Elon a “villain”.

Of course both America and China spy on each other, for decades now. The Chinese have been launching multiple spy satellites every year, as does the US.

Reuters: China's military, state media slam U.S. after Reuters report on SpaceX spy satellites

So now the Chinese government (if the PLA says it, it comes from the government) is calling Elon a “villain”.

Of course both America and China spy on each other, for decades now. The Chinese have been launching multiple spy satellites every year, as does the US.
I don’t think this means anything. While China is top down “controlled” that only goes so far in such a huge country. You’re going to have different policy responses in different areas by different people.

Is the villain Elon or the US government? When they say "we urge U.S. companies to not help a villain do evil," aren't they poking SpaceX and other contractors to not support the "new and even bigger security threats created by the U.S. government"?