Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Driver feedback for Safety Score "violations"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EVRider-FL

Aug 18, 2015
South Florida
It would be extremely helpful if a driver could get some kind of alert when they do something that impacts their Safety Score. Neither my wife nor I drive aggressively, but we repeatedly get penalized for hard braking and aggressive turning, and we have no idea why. For all we know, there could be flaws in how Tesla is measuring forces to detect those violations, but there's no way to prove that. Even if the measurements are correct, knowing when you do something "wrong" would help avoid those mistakes in the future. Any alert should be subtle and configurable so it doesn't become annoying.

Note to admin: I didn't post this question in the master Safety Score thread because that already has 4k replies, so this would get lost there.

Reactions: diplomat33
It would be extremely helpful if a driver could get some kind of alert when they do something that impacts their Safety Score. Neither my wife nor I drive aggressively, but we repeatedly get penalized for hard braking and aggressive turning, and we have no idea why. For all we know, there could be flaws in how Tesla is measuring forces to detect those violations, but there's no way to prove that. Even if the measurements are correct, knowing when you do something "wrong" would help avoid those mistakes in the future. Any alert should be subtle and configurable so it doesn't become annoying.

Note to admin: I didn't post this question in the master Safety Score thread because that already has 4k replies, so this would get lost there.

download a G-force sensor app for your phone.

Anything over 0.3g deceleration counts as hard braking.
Anything over 0.4g in lateral g counts as aggressive turning.

Are there any G-force sensor apps for iOS that can be configured to alert me at specific deceleration or lateral G values? If so, I'll give that a try.

However, it would be a lot better for Tesla to implement something like this, and it would be more reliable than the phone's sensors.

Are you using autopilot often? I know it's not supposed to ding your score, but I'm almost positive I received reductions on it. I stopped using AP in order to nail 100s daily. I was taking turns at like 10mph and slowing down extremely early (running yellows and almost at the point of stopping for green lights if I noticed the crosswalk change). I go through 15 stoplights on my 10 mile commute of all side roads, so it was a gamble daily. I got honked at multiple times. Not proud of that driving, lol. And it was extremely painful and not enjoyable.

I started using the Safety Score while on a recent road trip, and I was using AP most of the time. I also suspect that I was getting dinged for things that happened with AP, but without the alerts or other data there's no way to prove it. My wife hasn't used AP in her car since starting to use the Safety Score, but that was just a few days ago.

I'm not trying to alter my driving habits to get a high enough score for the FSD Beta, I just want to drive normally, but I do want to know why Tesla thinks I'm not driving safely. I don't mind waiting a while for the FSD Beta to let it stabilize a bit, and at this rate I'm in no danger of receiving it anytime soon.

Are there any G-force sensor apps for iOS that can be configured to alert me at specific deceleration or lateral G values? If so, I'll give that a try.

However, it would be a lot better for Tesla to implement something like this, and it would be more reliable than the phone's sensors.

I found my app (android) invaluable when validating whether I was turning a corner too fast. I never needed to rely on the app long term. Use the app a couple times and you quickly learn where the limits are by feel.