Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Entire Supercharging Team Fired?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
News yesterday is that the entire 500+ person word-wide SC team has been let go. That is alarming. Why would Elon sack the execs and all the employees of this important part of Tesla's business? Could Tesla be selling the SC network off to a third party? Opinions? Other theories?

29226473368_d3a9e965d2_c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We have to face the fact that Elon spent $44 billion to buy Twitter via a late night tweet. Everyone, and I mean everyone, knew that this was the way to take at least 1/2 of that $44 billion, put it in a pile and burn it. Buying Twitter at that price was not a rational decision and his management of Tesla seems to also being made via irrational decisions.

Elon's action in buying Twitter shows that he has serious personal problems and places his ideology over profitability. He has used Twitter (now X) to amplify his personal views and in so doing undermine Tesla in the eyes of the buying public, to the point that much of the decline in Tesla vehicle sales are undoubtedly due to him PO the most likely purchasers of EVs.

If you're going to play pendant, it works both ways. I said his "pay" not his "salary."
The IRS taxes him on what Tesla gives him, and the shareholders have to vote on it. That's pay. And the pay being considered is higher than anyone else.

Do you really want to go down the route of arguing that stock options and similar agreements are not "pay"?
Actually he doesn't have to pay taxes because they are unrealized gains. He only pays taxes on the portion he sells and makes a profit on.

If you are a stock holder you would see this all the time. You may hold the stock and the stock may rise sky high at certain times, but that's not real money, because by the time you sell it when you need to use the money, the value may have cratered (maybe even below what you bought it for).

This difference isn't only being a pendant, it has significant consequences on the impact to the company and also the incentive for the CEO to care about shareholder value. The typical CEO compensation gives millions in cash, which directly impacts the company's finances and makes it easier for them to wash their hands of it and exit (as happens a lot of time in the corporate world).

But Elon's compensation is structured that if he washes his hands of the company, he stands to lose billions in value due to potential stock price cratering.

Of course you can argue if his management style is good or not, but his style is not a new thing. Those of us who have been following Tesla can probably remember the early days when there's some dark periods. Here's one example.
Another example him versus Martin Eberhard.

And on the point of him having Tinnuci chose who to fire, I don't find that unusual even for a typical CEO. Even though Elon is known to be a micromanager sometimes, in general the person who directly manages a team would know much better which people are most critical to the team and which ones can be laid off without affecting critical operation of the team.

I assume you and others are putting your money where your mouth is and are shorting the Tesla stock?
I don't short stock on principle (and because of the unlimited downside risk), but I've divested significantly over the past couple years as Elon has become more and more erratic. Tesla as a whole still has tremendous potential, but Elon's recent decisions have made achieving this full potential seem considerably less likely and more distant.

He only pays taxes on the portion he sells and makes a profit on.
We (I) do not know exactly the type(s) of options that have been granted to Musk. In general, stock options have an exercise price based on a number of supposedly independent factors.

You are correct that as long as he does not exercise any of the options granted to him, there is no tax due. But any taxes that will be due upon exercising them will depend upon whether he ponies up the cash personally to purchase the stock at the exercise price or whether he leverages the transactions by immediately selling enough shares to get the cash to buy the shares he wants. Even if he ponies up the $$$, there still might be some tax due if there is a difference in the current market versus the market value when the options were granted.

So, if the exercise price is $150/share and he wants one million shares, then he either pays into Tesla $150 million (no taxes due possibly) or he has a simultaneous purchase and sale of an amount in excess of the $150 million so that he winds up with the stock.

Then, of course it depends whether these are qualified or non-qualified options. Most are reported on a W-2 with mandatory withholding (Social Security/Medicare) and voluntary withholding (income taxes.)

If he does exercise some of his options and retains the stock, he will have some income taxes due anyway. It remains to be seen if California will have its grubby hands out to get its share of any taxes as I believe these options were granted when he was still a California resident. We have some pretty stringent rules about the timing of reporting gains when a taxpayer moves out of state.

****Caveat: this area is something I dealt with a long time ago. Perhaps my memory is blurred or confused :D. S**t happens after four decades slogging along in this arena. And if he has personal losses on his tax returns, he might have made a §83 election to be taxed currently on the unexercised options as he bears a "substantial risk of forfeiture." This election establishes basis for gain or loss purposes if he does exercise the options.

• Informative
Reactions: SalisburySam
yeah .... not trusting Big Oil with having the best interest in mind for electric vehicles... but maybe I'm wrong. on the other hand it's good to see other large corporations looking into charging while Tesla seems to be stepping back...
There is a lot of investment from oil companies into charging. They are energy companies first and petrol was the big ticket item. With legislation in place in US and Europe its obvious there will be a significant shift away from petrol and diesel so they want to grab a slice of that pie to stay relevant.

The ones with the best network will win and its clear a lot of the Tesla competitors are not doing a great job so there is opportunity!

Reactions: HitchHiker71
i dont know if i like the idea of an oil company controlling the NACS... oil prices up... charger prices up

its a conflict of interest and seems like it could lead to price fixing
NACS is just a plug shape. Nothing to control there really.

BP could control prices on its chargers, but not the Tesla ones or other chargers with the plug. Also you could just use a CCS1 to NACS.

Are the people that are full in on "Elon's off his rocker" stock owners?
I still have 55 shares left, but will probably sell most/all of it depending on how the shareholder votes go. I started selling off shares as soon as the stalk-less Model S/X were unveiled, since that was the moment I realized the company leadership was becoming detached from reality.

I cannot believe that people are trying to gaslight this to be Rebecca's fault.
Interesting reading and ad nauseum at the same time. This topic is filled with gaslights, speculation and mischaracterizations of all colors. Speculating based on others speculations supported from circular citations that are most likely fake. Challenges from those that don't know for proof supporting guesses from others that don't know.

Actually he doesn't have to pay taxes because they are unrealized gains. He only pays taxes on the portion he sells and makes a profit on.
You either have to pay taxes when grant is made or pay taxes when the stock vests. About a third of my pay is stock based…every time it vests (which is quarterly according to most plans) a portion of what is vested is sold to cover the taxes. From that point on, you don’t pay taxes until you sell the shares and then you pay either long term or short term capital gains (assuming there was a capital gain) or take a loss (I usually sell at loss to reduce my tax footprint) but you do have to pay taxes when you acquire the shares (either at grant, to reduce your costs basis, because you think the value is increasing; or when the shares vest). Since he’s paid largely in options, he’d owe taxes on the spread when he exercises them and then taxed again on any profit…but I’m not sure if we know if they are NSOs or ISOs which would determine the taxation

Last edited:
NACS is just a plug shape. Nothing to control there really.

BP could control prices on its chargers, but not the Tesla ones or other chargers with the plug. Also you could just use a CCS1 to NACS.
It's much more than just a shape difference. One of the significant innovations of NACS was that it uses the same physical pins for both AC and DC, whereas no previous connectors (including CCS) had attempted to do that. That's part of what allows NACS to have its compact form factor.

We (I) do not know exactly the type(s) of options that have been granted to Musk. In general, stock options have an exercise price based on a number of supposedly independent factors.

You are correct that as long as he does not exercise any of the options granted to him, there is no tax due. But any taxes that will be due upon exercising them will depend upon whether he ponies up the cash personally to purchase the stock at the exercise price or whether he leverages the transactions by immediately selling enough shares to get the cash to buy the shares he wants. Even if he ponies up the $$$, there still might be some tax due if there is a difference in the current market versus the market value when the options were granted.

So, if the exercise price is $150/share and he wants one million shares, then he either pays into Tesla $150 million (no taxes due possibly) or he has a simultaneous purchase and sale of an amount in excess of the $150 million so that he winds up with the stock.

Then, of course it depends whether these are qualified or non-qualified options. Most are reported on a W-2 with mandatory withholding (Social Security/Medicare) and voluntary withholding (income taxes.)

If he does exercise some of his options and retains the stock, he will have some income taxes due anyway. It remains to be seen if California will have its grubby hands out to get its share of any taxes as I believe these options were granted when he was still a California resident. We have some pretty stringent rules about the timing of reporting gains when a taxpayer moves out of state.

****Caveat: this area is something I dealt with a long time ago. Perhaps my memory is blurred or confused :D. S**t happens after four decades slogging along in this arena. And if he has personal losses on his tax returns, he might have made a §83 election to be taxed currently on the unexercised options as he bears a "substantial risk of forfeiture." This election establishes basis for gain or loss purposes if he does exercise the options.

You either have to pay taxes when grant is made or pay taxes when the stock vests. About a third of my pay is stock based…every time it vests (which is quarterly according to most plans) a portion of what is vested is sold to cover the taxes. From that point on, you don’t pay taxes until you sell the shares and then you pay either long term or short term capital gains (assuming there was a capital gain) or take a loss (I usually sell at loss to reduce my tax footprint) but you do have to pay taxes when you acquire the shares (either at grant, to reduce your costs basis, because you think the value is increasing; or when the shares vest). Since he’s paid largely in options, he’d owe taxes on the spread when he exercises them and then taxed again on any profit…but I’m not sure if we know if they are NSOs or ISOs which would determine the taxation
From the reports on his lawsuit, he has not exercised any of his options, which is why I made that comment about him not paying taxes on them. Also the terms require him to hold the stock for minimum of 5 years after exercising, so it will be a long while before he pays any gains tax on it. I haven't looked into it in detail, but the gist I get is he does not have a Exercise-and-Sell-to-Cover option (which would result in paying taxes on the portion sold to cover).

When he exercises it may require an adjustment on his AMT, but that is not a direct tax.
https://www.reuters.com/legal/judge...hallenging-musks-tesla-pay-package-2024-01-30

Another difference is they are not RSUs (which some other Tesla executives and employees get and are considered income and thus taxed directly), they are options which he has to pay for.

Last edited:
wonder how much of this is due to Tinucci coming out way ahead of him (#2 vs #50) in Motor Trend's annual list of most influential auto execs: https://www.motortrend.com/news/2024-motortrend-power-list/
Haven't even heard of that ranking until you linked it, I doubt he would care about that list, especially given #1 was given to the UAW president. The rumors of her pushing back against his order for doing layoffs is reason enough. All the reporting focused primarily on Tinucci, but note that Daniel Ho, head of the new vehicles program, and his entire team was also laid off for presumably the same reason (and apparently to set an example for other executives that might have been planning to push back against further layoffs).

Haven't even heard of that ranking until you linked it,
I've mentioned it at least 3 times:
I'm liking the theory that this is just all Elon rage over the fact that Motor Trend listed Rebecca as #2 in their 2024 industry power list and Musk at #50, probably doubled by his Misogyny for women with power like how he hates McKenzie Scott for donating money.
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2024-motortrend-power-list/
She just happens to be a "manager" that was #2 on Motor Trend's hot industry executives that are making major differences in the automotive industry.
Don't forget that she was #2 on Motor Trend's Hot 50 industry people for 2024 and he was #50.

Daniel Ho, head of the new vehicles program, and his entire team was also laid off for presumably the same reason (and apparently to set an example for other executives that might have been planning to push back against further layoffs).
Daniel Ho was laid off, but not his entire team. Laying off the whole new vehicles team would be even bigger news than the superchargers.

I've mentioned it at least 3 times:
I didn't read those comments (like most people I don't read every comment on every thread I have participated in), but my point is that ranking isn't really a well known ranking or influential person metric (unlike others like Forbes rankings, or Time person of the year). Put another way, if I read your comment first, it would still be the first time I have heard of it.
Daniel Ho was laid off, but not his entire team. Laying off the whole new vehicles team would be even bigger news than the superchargers.
Like with Tinucci, when I say "his entire team" I mean the people working under him, which does not necessarily mean all the people working on new vehicles (aka his team is not the only ones working on new vehicle development). It was apparently mentioned in the same email that mentioned Tinucci. Everyone working under Tinucci was laid off, but there were other people that worked on superchargers that wasn't under her (for example the maintenance crew as brought up multiple times).

The media and market seemed to care a lot less about the impact to new vehicles given it was barely mentioned even though it was right there in the same rumor.

Last edited:
Given her talent, executive ranking, and demonstrated accomplishments, I’m guessing Rebecca has either already found her next role possible a C-level one, or her headhunter is taking time negotiating the total and likely unbelievable comp package. We should learn soon what that is. We know she didn’t leave for the two most oft-quoted exec departure reasons (“…to spend more time with her family,” and the ever-popular “…to pursue other opportunities”). I’d gladly take any position she casts aside.