Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fairing Recovery and Reuse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was thinking that today’s performance (successful Starlink-1 launch) is certainly huge for re-use of course. All of the mechanical bits worked.
But is the main concern not about contamination of the payload by a non-clean-room fairing? And to evaluate how successful that part of this re-use would take a long time, deducted from satellite performance/longevity?

Mᛟnika Wojdasᛟva on Twitter
Totally does look like a boat.

ENTpwxoXkAAsucl

The current approach seems to have plateaued at 'real close' with lots of misses.
I wonder if the boat could have a small and fast aircraft or perhaps a helicopter that is released about a minute before the fairings come down that grabs the parachute with a hook on a cable and brings its prize to the ship.

Reactions: Watts_Up
The current approach seems to have plateaued at 'real close' with lots of misses.
I wonder if the boat could have a small and fast aircraft or perhaps a helicopter that is released about a minute before the fairings come down that grabs the parachute with a hook on a cable and brings its prize to the ship.
You have to imagine that each fearing is about the size of a school bus, so this is not an easy task.

Here is a demonstration of such helicopter recuperation

Screen_Shot_2019_08_06_at_6.59.35_PM.0.png

Last edited:
What is interesting about the ship itself ? That looks like a fairly standard offshore supply vessel with a typical lightweight subsea fitout MV SHELIA BORDELON The interesting aspect surely is why the normal fairing recovery vessels are both unavailable ? Am I missing something ?

Both Ms. Tree and Ms. Chief are being re-outfitted for recovery operations with the upcoming Commercial Crew launches and recoveries: Crew 2 is going up and Crew 1 is coming back.

Reactions: petit_bateau
That makes me a little sad.
But it makes sense: the majority of launches are Starlink, and they have no qualms about re-using sea-soaked fairings on those (since they don’t appear to need clean-room condition fairing halves for Starlink). That leaves only a handful of customer missions a year that would be open to re-used fairings but that would also require ones that were caught in a net.
They made it happen, more than once. We got cool footage, thanks SpaceX!

Does it have a huge net? or are they letting it fall to water and then pick it up?

why such a huge (meaning less nimble) ship to pick up stuff from water, when a smaller faster boat with just about enough size to hold the fairings should do?