Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD free trial is over

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Iron

Jan 22, 2023
ATL
I'm sad... but not $99 a month kinda sad. I didn't even use it much but I liked having it there at the ready. Anyone subscribing or paying the 8K?

I have the feeling that it's about to jump back up after the Dojo got fed with all this data.

• Informative
Reactions: CitizenKane
I kept trying FSD (free). In my region of DFW, with erratic road striping, variable lane widths, I can only characterize it as ...neurotic as hell. The constant steering adjustments drove me crazy, and never allowed me to chill. Also, reversing into a parking lot space? Multiple forward/reverse corrections, NEVER got the car centered.
I also did NOT like how, on a 4-lane road, using the right lane, it would hug the stripe, close to adjacent traffic, when my pattern is to stay as far away as possible from adjacent vehicles.

FSD? Nope.

I have found FSD V12 to be very impressive. A vast improvement over V11 I rented last year. I can now maybe see FSD actually being solved at some point in the future with new hardware. That said, I used it less and less as the month went on, so I probably won't be missing it much. I'll probably rent it for a couple of road trips in the summer, but don't think I'll want to pay for it continuously.

I think the purchase price of $8k is still too high, and I would never consider buying FSD outright regardless of price unless it can be transferred to a new car. (EDIT: well, OK, maybe if it was like $1k)

I tried it twice. It was novel but as multiple posters said above, it's much faster and safer to just drive myself. I have serious doubts about how well it can see down the road when turning. I live just outside the city and there are several roads with a stop sign turning onto a 50-mph road where the other traffic does not have a stop sign. With the current camera placement, I do not think the car could see another vehicle at 50+mph in time. The way that it behaves (moving forward a little, stop, move forward a little, stop, then finally make the turn) reinforces this belief. I also didn't like how much it ping-ponged in the lane and how timid it was when merging, making turns, etc. In all it drives as well as a 15 year old that just got their permit. It knows the rules of the road but is unable to anticipate anything. It is constantly reacting, abruptly speeding up or slowing down, jerking the wheel, etc. Again, it's fascinating that a machine is even at the level of a 15 year old, but FSD is nowhere close to being a good driver.

Of course for those who can't drive well, either permanently or temporarily, it is a game changer. Although the recent increase in selection and quality of non-alcoholic beers has made drinking responsibly a lot easier, there have definitely been times I wish that I could have had a few more drinks when out and about and have my car drive me home. So I will keep watching the tech, learning from other's experience. But I will not pay for it until it's Level 3 (so I can legally be intoxicated/impaired while the car is driving). Without that it's useless to me.

Reactions: El joe
I stopped using it after week 2 because I was tired of “supervising” it.
Aaah yes. The nannying to make sure you are supervising it is the worst part. It's like having the ex-wife next to me as I drive. Next annoying things are the way it stays centered in the lane at all times, not a natural thing to do when I'm in the left or right lanes, especially next to tractor trailers. Then it barrels through the potholes like Tesla programmed it to sell you new wheels/tires. I'm surprised the app didn't pop up with the wheels already in the cart after some of the drives I took. :)

• Funny
Reactions: 804son
Aaah yes. The nannying to make sure you are supervising it is the worst part. It's like having the ex-wife next to me as I drive. Next annoying things are the way it stays centered in the lane at all times, not a natural thing to do when I'm in the left or right lanes, especially next to tractor trailers. Then it barrels through the potholes like Tesla programmed it to sell you new wheels/tires. I'm surprised the app didn't pop up with the wheels already in the cart after some of the drives I took. :)
I actually never had a problem with nags. Unlike most people I actually had my hand on the wheel at all times and actually paid attention to the road. No issues with nags.

I was getting tired of “supervising” it’s excessive hesitancy when taking unprotected turns, poor lane section, poor lane positioning, cutting corners too close, accelerating too hard, braking too hard, braking too early, stopping too far behind the line/cars, signaling too early, not signaling at all, signaling when it’s not necessary, indecision with which turn lane to use, incessant audio warning about FSD being degraded due to weather every few minutes, poor navigation routing taking unnecessary turns, poor speed control, sometimes excessive speeding with auto speed offset, other times going too slow. There’s probably more I can’t think of right now.

It’s like a teenager learning how to drive except it can’t learn and improve in real time from your feedback.

only used it a couple of times.
i didn't undo the change lane setting and it'll keep automatically moving me over to the left lane of the highway.

since it only maxes out at 85 mph setting, i would end up slowing down that lane and had to disengage to move back.

i do like the visuals on the screen with FSD, but not enough to get me to pay $100 a month.

I was 0/2 in trying to use it; both times it tried to change lanes and would have put me in front of a higher-speed vehicle with no room/time for them to brake. Not sad at all it's gone and wouldn't even accept payment to have it enabled again.

Since I found this so useful for my 1.5-2 hour daily commute I bought the upgrade from EAP to FSD for $2k.

I wasnt overall satisfied with the previous FSD versions though they did some things well. I am very happy with the current tool and how it makes my drive easier.

This version seems to do most things very well, except trips take a bit longer. I used really care that it drives slower than I do, as I probably drive to fast. As a very driven person, I am always trying to drive the fastest most efficent way possible. So it was a mental flip to accept driving 55-60 in a 50 zone and slowing down to 45 for turns. It feels strange to leave 4 car lengths ahead of me, when I am used to keeping the gap close.

However, the excercise in patience is good for me. None of the current slow and safe behaviors of FSD would be objectionable if I was riding in an Uber, in fact if my Uber driver drove like I do manually I'd probably not be happy.

Everyone thinks they are a great driver but few people are truly professionals. Most people get tired, emotional or get their egos involved when someone goes around them or offends them. Many people drive every day watching their cell phone videos, texting or playing a game on it.

As a result there are more than 5 million vehicle accidents a year, over 1.5 million injuries and about 35k deaths. Through all this people continue to drink and drive, fall asleep at the wheel, use their cell phones and speed excessively.

The facts are that only cancer and heart disease kills more americans than driving in a car.

$99 per month is $1200 per year, so the $2k is a much better deal than the subscription for my use case.

Never seen so many Karen’s. Used the free trial many times. Not perfect. But guess what neither are most of you. Have you not watched people drive??? Stops signs…for what. Red lights. Nah only stop when they have too. Weaving in and out of lanes? Yep. Oh they are texting no big deal.
How is it being a Karen to expect something you pay for to work better? It’s a work in progress and needs criticism to improve.

It doesn’t work how I like at the moment so I just won’t pay for it. No big deal. Doesn’t affect you. No need to be offended. If you like it then pay for it. No one’s stopping you.

Never seen so many Karen’s. Used the free trial many times. Not perfect. But guess what neither are most of you. Have you not watched people drive??? Stops signs…for what. Red lights. Nah only stop when they have too. Weaving in and out of lanes? Yep. Oh they are texting no big deal.
So I assume you're about to plunk down the 8K or sub? Cause that's what I'm asking about, Joe.