Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not exactly. I think the various defeats and workarounds and sitting in the backseat, etc. pushed Tesla to use the cabin camera, and make it work for attention monitoring.
I don't think so. The motivation for cabin camera is likely just Elon not wanting his hands on the wheels (and people sharing the same thought), especially given multiple competitors having "hands off" systems.
This is a benefit for everyone - we definitely want the car to know when we are looking at the road. Long term it is safer for everyone. You can imagine that monitoring being a huge safety improvement even when not using FSD! (Not done yet, but in future…)
For this particular one, in the absence of defeat devices, I don't think removing a nag dismissal method makes it safer, especially for cars that don't have cabin cameras anyways. Basically there would have been no need to do so, it was just an extra dismissal method.
The wheel torquing is more arguable. Though it really shouldn’t be worse - it’s been proposed for a long time that Tesla distinguish a wheel weight from a person’s hand. It’s probably quite a different signature.

I personally don’t find the torquing to be a problem most of the time. Every now and again it seems to enter a weird mode where it really does not seem to detect torque no matter what, but seems more like a bug and goes away after disengaging. And it does not happen often (once every week or two).
The one hand hanging technique is probably very similar to the defeat device. The anecdotes is that method used to work flawlessly, but over the years it has become less reliable and there has to be a variation of the torque to satisfy the nag.

03:42 Rolls right turn at stop light. (5 mph)
05:41 Rolls right turn at stop sign (10 mph)
Would be interesting to test if this is consistent when there's no other traffic around. These had multiple lead vehicles doing the rolling behavior. Perhaps end-to-end can dynamically adjust to patterns it sees others doing? Otherwise it could default to some "nobody is looking" pattern. Although the 10mph roll is for a yield-like curve, so I wouldn't be surprised if the full stop training data might not have as many examples to override the common pattern of slowing for yield in these cases.

Reactions: JB47394
1 T intersection with slight obstructed views L and R… The only jerk of the steering wheel was at the left turn of the T intersection. In general, one of the most comfortable ride I have.
Was the jerking because another vehicle approached or perhaps more of poor visibility resulting in an unusual path? Nice to hear more reports of much improved comfort with 12.x.

Whole Mars saying that V12 rollout paused to make Auto Speed adjustments.
What are people experiencing that needs adjustments? It going too fast or slow? Problems on certain types of roads?

At least from TeslaFi and Teslascope numbers, after the initial ~4pm Pacific wave, there was another small push 6 hours later that increased the rollout by 60% (41 -> 66, 4 -> 7). That's where we still are now, so at least pending installs aren't revoked.

I don't think so. The motivation for cabin camera is likely just Elon not wanting his hands on the wheels (and people sharing the same thought), especially given multiple competitors having "hands off" systems.

AFAIK Cabin camera is because the EU passed a law requiring their use for driver attentiveness and Tesla didn't want to put a proper driver cam in the car so they wrote SW to repurpose the interior robotaxi monitor for this use.

Was the jerking because another vehicle approached or perhaps more of poor visibility resulting in an unusual path? Nice to hear more reports of much improved comfort with 12.x.
I think the jerks were because of the unusual road conditions. No approaching vehicles. The right side is about 90 degrees and usually blocked by parked cars. The left side almost immediately curves right and distance views also blocked by cars parked both on the left and on the right. The T stop is facing a long low wall of a playing field with a banner. (W 230th St > Greenwood Ave, Torrance CA). I usually have to check both sides and take the turn slowly.

Whole Mars complained that it was too slow, as I recall.
Oh, well in that case, most others probably will be fine just pressing the accelerator in the meantime. It'll be interesting to see how 12.x behaves with these types of speed interventions as does end-to-end realize there's additional acceleration to adjust steering?

I've sometimes continued driving with 11.x big "take over immediately" by pressing the accelerator while FSD Beta was still adjusting the steering wheel, and these were pretty smooth experiences other than the loud beeping.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
What makes you think that? I hadn't heard that before. But I also haven't closely followed the rollout of V12.
In one of Omar's videos, @Mardak spotted a transition during a lane change when entering a highway. The speed indicator was on auto (a V12 setting) and the car started the lane change. Halfway through the lane change, the speed indicator switched to a number and the car stopped the lane change to move back into the original lane. It certainly looked like a change of mode. It's assumed that it is a change from V12 to V11.

I believe people have also observed that the visualization update rate is slower on secondary roads than it is on highways. The theory there is that secondary roads rely on V12 for control, but V11 for the bulk of the visualization, while highways rely exclusively on V11.

First drive version 12.2.1. Upon activation my car took off like a scalded cat on my street and we shortly thereafter joined the freeway with no problems for 5 miles, negotiated a roundabout smoothly, almost like a human, and proceeded two blocks to a stop sign in preparation for a right turn. An opposing vehicle was signaling for a left turn, putting him across my path. My car pretended to ignore him and was about to impede his right of way until I braked. He had arrived at his stop before us, and apparently my car did not perceive that fine point of motoring. For the return trip, the turn signal came on needlessly at a stop sign, (and hit an uncomfortable pothole), aside from that the rest of the ride was normal and irreproachable.