Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FWD hits roof after 2024.14.6 update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,
Anyone else seeing new behavior with the FWDs after the 2024.14.6 update? Mine were flawless before this, stopped at a reasonable distance inside my garage with the garage door open and above the car. Now it smacked it pretty hard, left a chip on my door. Tried cleaning the sensor area (not that it helps) and tired again, touched the metal bar from my garage door again.
FSD trial works pretty good, but honestly I’d rather have my working FWD back!
Thanks Tesla but no thanks.

• Informative
Reactions: NJturtlePower
new behavior with the FWDs after the 2024.14.6 update?
I just went and tried mine for you. It does to seem to go up farther as it was stopping prematurely before. GPS location for those reset?

I'd suggest that you recalibrate them. See:

I also wonder if you can open it when you are standing there and hit the down button (B-pillar) to stop it. Curious if you get something on your screen about setting them at that height at that GPS location.

I just went and tried mine for you. It does to seem to go up farther as it was stopping prematurely before. GPS location for those reset?

I'd suggest that you recalibrate them. See:

I also wonder if you can open it when you are standing there and hit the down button (B-pillar) to stop it. Curious if you get something on your screen about setting them at that height at that GPS location.
Thanks I’ll try the recalibration. I did try stopping it with the button manually hoping for a message to save location, nothing.

Reactions: scottf200
Same thing happened to me yesterday. Ive opened them at least 20 times inside with 0 issues before the spring update, yesterday I opened them in the garage and bam right into the door. Chipped the window and took a chunk out of the door. Sigh.

For me it's not the FWD but the trunk
Did you reset it? Looks like it is saved per location like the FWDs.

>> manual >>
If Model X detects a low ceiling (for example, in a garage), it opens the liftgate (and falcon wing doors) to a lower height, even if no obstacle is detected. You can override this height by manually lifting it higher. When doing so, the touchscreen prompts you to choose if you always want the trunk to open to this higher position at this location, and saves your choice. If you choose to do so, the next time you open the liftgate at this location, Model X opens it to the saved height.
You can adjust the opening height of the liftgate to make it easier to reach or to avoid low-hanging ceilings or objects (for example, a garage door or light):
  • Open the trunk, then manually lower or raise the liftgate to the desired opening height.
  • Press and hold the button on the underside of the liftgate for three seconds until you hear a confirmation chime.
  • A button on the underside of the liftgate with an image of a car with a its trunk open
  • Confirm that you have set it to the desired height by closing the liftgate, then reopening it.
<< manual <<

Did you reset it? Looks like it is saved per location like the FWDs.

>> manual >>
If Model X detects a low ceiling (for example, in a garage), it opens the liftgate (and falcon wing doors) to a lower height, even if no obstacle is detected. You can override this height by manually lifting it higher. When doing so, the touchscreen prompts you to choose if you always want the trunk to open to this higher position at this location, and saves your choice. If you choose to do so, the next time you open the liftgate at this location, Model X opens it to the saved height.
You can adjust the opening height of the liftgate to make it easier to reach or to avoid low-hanging ceilings or objects (for example, a garage door or light):
  • Open the trunk, then manually lower or raise the liftgate to the desired opening height.
  • Press and hold the button on the underside of the liftgate for three seconds until you hear a confirmation chime.
  • A button on the underside of the liftgate with an image of a car with a its trunk open
  • Confirm that you have set it to the desired height by closing the liftgate, then reopening it.
<< manual <<

I did not explicitly reset the location. This happened after enabling the new hands-free trunk feature. I've since disabled it and the issue has disappeared.

I did not explicitly reset the location. This happened after enabling the new hands-free trunk feature. I've since disabled it and the issue has disappeared.
Same thing happened to me. Fwd hit the garage door last night (no damage surprisingly) and was going to recalibrate today but saw cookiefactory’s post and just tried it - fixed! I also disabled the new hands free trunk feature (didn’t like it) and now my fwds are back to normal. Appreciate the info!

This happened to me as well - basically sensors in FWDs and top of the vehicle stopped working altogether - clear by the lack of "shields" that show the estimation of "distance" on the car UI when parked and there is object close to sides of the car. It was the same as discussed in this thread - 2022 Model X roof sensor not working

Luckily I noticed it when door stopped like an inch from hitting my open garage door and changed FWD to "Low" and set trunk open height for my home + made sure to not open FWD/trunk in constrained spaces and be ready to intercept them. No fun at all.

I was also missing new "Autoshift" feature (only old "Autoshift out of Park" was available).

Then overnight (the second night after the update) both issues got automagically fixed and it's fine so far... But lost trust in FWDs quite a bit so making sure to see those "shields" before I open FWDs in tight spaces.

Reactions: NJturtlePower
So it was going fine for a few days until last night I've got a notification that 2024.14.7 is available so I figured they probably fixed the issue and being on the latest will give me more peace of mind the issue won't come back.
Of couse, after updating the issue is back and turning off Hands-Free Trunk doesn't help. Rebooted a couple times too for a good measure - still no "shield" indicators on sides / top of the car when in Park mode.
Well, going to give it a few days to see if it fixes itself again...

Sounds like about time I install those pool noodles on my garage door track I've been putting off BEFORE installing the 14-series update then. 🫣

6-months now without issue.... usually it stops too low and I have to manually override it. I have a tall 12ft garage ceiling which is irrelevant since the garage tracks would be the lowest contact point IF the vehicle didn't see the obstruction first.

Still on 2024.8.9 for now.....

garage_Screenshot 2024-05-22 at 12.24.39 PM.png
garage_Screenshot 2024-05-22 at 12.24.23 PM.png

Pool noodles installed yesterday. No more worrying lol.

Just an update since I started the tread. I did the recalibrate suggestion which was to go outside and raise them by holding the button until they’re all the way up and the down button all the way down. Seems to have fixed it, it’s back to normal…2 dings in my PPF on the door later but it works again.

I have never enabled the hands free trunk option, so it was not related to that for me.

The noodles are a good idea in case it happens again.