Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Model X Reset Techniques

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ohmman

Upright Member
Global Moderator
Feb 13, 2014
North Bay/Truckee, CA
Methods for resetting various features in the Model X:

Center Display
Press and hold both scroll buttons for a few seconds. Center console display will turn black and reboot.​
Instrument Cluster
Press and hold both of the steering wheel buttons above the scroll wheels. IC display will turn black and reboot.​
Reset of 'most' systems (4 fingers) ~~ [non-"refreshed" models - no yoke]
Put/keep foot on brake. Press and hold both scroll buttons *and* steering wheel buttons above the scroll wheels. Keep foot on brake until CD and IC display are non-blank. (citation needed)
Reset of 'most' systems (temporarily change wheel configuration trick)
Change your wheel configuration to something not on your X (Service -> Wheel Configuration) and after it restarts the car then change it back to the original.​
Reset of 'all' systems
Under Settings, E-Brake and Power Off. Power vehicle off, then use the brake to restart.​

Front Door Calibration
From inside the vehicle, do a scroll wheel (touchscreen) reset.​
Open the door from inside (the manual handle will always release the door).​
Manually push the door to the full open position, then slowly and deliberately push the door manually closed so that it will latch. Close it slow enough that it takes about 5 to 10 seconds. If the latch pulls the door in, all is working okay.​
Front Door Windows Calibration
Method 1
With the door closed, roll the window all the way down with a "soft click" (not the full down click). Hold the window down for at least 5 seconds after it is fully closed.​
Roll the window back up with a soft click (not full up) and hold the window all the way up for at least 5 seconds.​
Method 2 (Newer)
Open door.​
Roll window down.​
Auto-roll window up (pull up fully on the switch and release so it rolls itself up without you holding the switch).​
When window is about half way open, give it a firm smack downwards from above. This simulates something getting stuck in the window and it will roll down to prevent injury.​
Repeat this process until the window will no longer auto roll up. This can take 10-15 repetitions.​
Close and open the door to verify​
Falcon Wing Door Calibration
Take the vehicle outdoors where there’s nothing in range of the FWD (and probably no overhead cache - that is, the display allows you to fully open the doors on one touch.) Hold the physical door switch inside the vehicle until door is all the way open. Next, hold the physical door switch down until the door is all the way closed. The door should be recalibrated at this point.​
Falcon Wing Door Complete Reset:
Remove access panel in funk area (no tool required)​
Disconnect emergency services power loop located under the orange sticker that should be above your funk space.​
Get a stubby 13mm socket and disconnect ground strap (black wire bolted to chassis under the area of the Emergency Services loop.) Wait 20 Seconds. Reconnect it.​
Plug the loop back in.​
Center screen will suggest you need to recalibrate the doors.​
This reset is needed when no button pushes or holds work and the door is completely non-responsive.​
Vehicle Stuck in Park
Have all passengers exit Model X for 2 minutes with doors closed. Re-enter vehicle. Use Power Off/Reset Technique above. Wait 2 minutes, start vehicle again.​
Time Zone is off by 1+ hours when "road tripping"
If the displayed time was changed as you were traveling across timezones and does not change "back" after crossing the timezone again (AT&T cell tower zone) then you can just press and hold the time shown for about 5 seconds and it will re-sync the time. (hat tip)​
Active Spoiler Stuck Down
Put vehicle in park. Go to Settings, Service & Reset, Spoiler and set it to Extended. This will raise the spoiler up. Perform center display reset technique from above. Spoiler will remain up and fully extend as part of reset.​
Rear Seat Recalibration
Turn car on (brake pedal) move front seat all the way forward​
Move second row seat all the way forward using the shoulder button​
Press and hold it forward for 5 seconds​
Press it in the reverse direction​
Hold it in reverse position for 5 seconds​
Return front seat to normal position​
It should latch the next time you try to use the second row.​
~~ steering wheel reset graphics - How to reboot your Tesla if something is going wrong - Tesla Owners UK

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @ohmman

Perhaps we also need a wiki about door and window recalibration. Frankly looking at the various discussions around MX operation, door behavior etc, at some point we should create a wiki titled "Read this first : Beginner's guide to Model X". Or some of us could coauthor a digital book called "MX for Beginners" :)

Edit: Thought of a better title "The X Factor: Insiders' guide to MX Nirvana" :)

Center Display
Press and hold both scroll buttons for a few seconds. Center console display will turn black and reboot.​
Instrument Cluster
Press and hold both of the steering wheel buttons above the scroll wheels. IC display will turn black and reboot.​
Power Off/Reset
Under Settings, E-Brake and Power Off. Power vehicle off, then use the brake to restart.
Front Door Calibration
From inside the vehicle, do a scroll wheel (touchscreen) reset.
Open the door from inside (the manual handle will always release the door).
Manually push the door to the full open position, then slowly and deliberately push the door manually closed so that it will latch. Close it slow enough that it takes about 5 to 10 seconds. If the latch pulls the door in, all is working okay.
With the door closed, roll the window all the way down with a "soft click" (not the full down click). Hold the window down for at least 5 seconds after it is fully closed.
Roll the window back up with a soft click (not full up) and hold the window all the way up for at least 5 seconds.​
Having issues with my driver's door not closing properly and not opening properly for that matter. I actually can't get it closed at the moment. Thought I'd try the Front Door Calibration above but I really don't understand what you are suggesting in step 1: "From inside the vehicle, do a scroll wheel (touchscreen) reset." What is a scroll wheel (touchscreen) reset? Thanks

Having issues with my driver's door not closing properly and not opening properly for that matter. I actually can't get it closed at the moment. Thought I'd try the Front Door Calibration above but I really don't understand what you are suggesting in step 1: "From inside the vehicle, do a scroll wheel (touchscreen) reset." What is a scroll wheel (touchscreen) reset? Thanks

On your steering wheel there are two scroll wheels one on either side used to select what displays on the console. Press and hold both at the same time and the large tablet display will reboot. When the screen goes black release the buttons and you will shortly see the Tesla "T" on the screen and then it will boot back up. This is what Ohmman lists as the first item in the list. Then do the rest of the steps to recalibrate the door.

On your steering wheel there are two scroll wheels one on either side used to select what displays on the console. Press and hold both at the same time and the large tablet display will reboot. When the screen goes black release the buttons and you will shortly see the Tesla "T" on the screen and then it will boot back up. This is what Ohmman lists as the first item in the list. Then do the rest of the steps to recalibrate the door.
Thanks, got it now. Unfortunately I followed the procedure and still can't get my door to function properly. Open to suggestions.

With the door closed, roll the window all the way down with a "soft click" (not the full down click). Hold the window down for at least 5 seconds after it is fully closed.
This is what I was told for the Front Door Window -- mine was going down a little on each door open but was not going back up.

Note: When I did it successfully I pushed hard and *held* (vs soft). "Full up" in your terms probably means push and release. The manual doesn't use the terms soft or partial per my quick read.

Whichever door it is, go to that switch and with the door closed, hold switch down, then window will roll down and keep holding it for another 10 seconds, Then hold switch in up position, window will go up and keep holding it for another 10 seconds. That should relearn window position.

Center Display
Instrument Cluster
Power Off/Reset
Under Settings, E-Brake and Power Off. Power vehicle off, then use the brake to restart.
Front Door Calibration
From inside the vehicle, do a scroll wheel (touchscreen) reset.
Open the door from inside (the manual handle will always release the door).
Manually push the door to the full open position, then slowly and deliberately push the door manually closed so that it will latch. Close it slow enough that it takes about 5 to 10 seconds. If the latch pulls the door in, all is working okay.
Hey Ohmman,
While I have Firmware updates as of today, front door calibration is not 100% (I do touchscreen reset as suggested).

I do this:

So I wonder if I'm messing up, although the latch does pull the door in.....
Also, how about front passenger door, where do I sit while attempting that. My X is not happy when doing calibration stuff while not in the driver seat.......

Any additional tips on FWD reset/calibration?

Read online that holding interior button in the up/down position for 30 seconds each might be the technique? Tried this, but unsure if it took.

My right rear FWD is now hitting the body on close (started on inclines, now doing it at all times). It's also no longer opening fully on the initial activation, so I'm speculating that the lifting arms MIGHT be mis-calibrated after the last SW update (e.g. rear arm is calibrated "lower" than front causing "sag").

Reposting this from another thread, as I was trying to figure out a front driver-side window that had lost its calibration:
---------

So I went to a service center today and had the window fixed. This is what they did:

At first, the guy tried the regular window calibration trick—push and hold to the bottom, wait a few seconds (guy said 2-3 seconds was enough), then raise and hold. But of course, when the window hit the top, it would immediately drop back down to the halfway mark. He tried this 5-6 times. I was like "dude, it's not working", but he said it just took persistence sometimes. So if at first it doesn't succeed, try, try again.

But after that 6th time or so, he changed tacks. He still brought it down, held for two seconds. But then he began raising it in short increments, like tap and raise, tap and raise, a few inches at a time. This actually did the trick. When the window got to the top, it didn't drop back down again. After that, it was working fine.

He said that sometimes you've got to mix it up if the regular recalibration process doesn't work, still go down and press-hold, but then try raising it in various increments. So now my window works, and hopefully this will help the next person with that problem.

Reposting this from another thread, as I was trying to figure out a front driver-side window that had lost its calibration:
---------

So I went to a service center today and had the window fixed. This is what they did:

At first, the guy tried the regular window calibration trick—push and hold to the bottom, wait a few seconds (guy said 2-3 seconds was enough), then raise and hold. But of course, when the window hit the top, it would immediately drop back down to the halfway mark. He tried this 5-6 times. I was like "dude, it's not working", but he said it just took persistence sometimes. So if at first it doesn't succeed, try, try again.

But after that 6th time or so, he changed tacks. He still brought it down, held for two seconds. But then he began raising it in short increments, like tap and raise, tap and raise, a few inches at a time. This actually did the trick. When the window got to the top, it didn't drop back down again. After that, it was working fine.

He said that sometimes you've got to mix it up if the regular recalibration process doesn't work, still go down and press-hold, but then try raising it in various increments. So now my window works, and hopefully this will help the next person with that problem.
Though the information you have provided is valuable, I would expect recalibration to be an exact science and not quackery. These are engineered products that are built using well established principles of engineering design and manufacturing and thus there has to be a particular method to recalibrate. I can understand if the information has not been adequately published by the designers and not all service reps have been trained ...and so everyone is finding their own ways to make it work.

I can understand if the information has not been adequately published by the designers and not all service reps have been trained ...and so everyone is finding their own ways to make it work.

I plan to discuss reset techniques with my service advisor whenever I pick the X back up (probably late next week). If I can get any concrete data, I'll update the wiki. I suggest that anyone else in touch with their SC do the same.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
Though the information you have provided is valuable, I would expect recalibration to be an exact science and not quackery. These are engineered products that are built using well established principles of engineering design and manufacturing and thus there has to be a particular method to recalibrate. I can understand if the information has not been adequately published by the designers and not all service reps have been trained ...and so everyone is finding their own ways to make it work.

Apparently the regular window reset, already posted at the top, works most of the time. I guess there are times when the window is less responsive to the regular technique. I mean, in a perfect world, it would calibrate properly the FIRST time one goes through the process. You shouldn't have to keep trying over an over to make it stick, much less move on to alternate techniques.

In any case, why does the window need to be "calibrated" in the first place? Talk about adding complexity to something that certainly didn't need it.