Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gen 3 charger setup hung on "Registering Device" : Solution

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello All,

While commissioning our Gen 3 Wall Connector (charger), the process hung up on the final step of "Registering Device". I hit the 'Retry' button dozens of times without any luck. I was connected to our home wifi with a strong signal. Ultimately, I found a solution to the problem. Oddly, in my wifi settings on my phone, there were 2 separate entries for the charger itself. I deleted the one that was not labeled as "Provided by Tesla" and the registration process immediately completed. I have a number of posts/replies by others that were having the same issue with the app getting hung up on his final step, with some having put in support tickets without any resolution, so I wanted to post it here in case it may help anyone else.

Any idea how the other entity came about?
Hi Qtown,

No clue. It was very odd. I had only run the setup process a single time before running into the 'hung' state. As I mentioned in my post, I came across other people's replies on various forums while looking for a solution (and while continually clicking "Retry"), so I know I'm not the only one. Whether their problem is the same as I had, I am unsure.

Hi Qtown,

No clue. It was very odd. I had only run the setup process a single time before running into the 'hung' state. As I mentioned in my post, I came across other people's replies on various forums while looking for a solution (and while continually clicking "Retry"), so I know I'm not the only one. Whether their problem is the same as I had, I am unsure.
The old brain in the phone doing its own thing caper. Know it well. As in know enough to know I want to avoid that scenario. Wish me luck.

Strategy. Make sure phone is in wifi range of house and disconnected from mobile internet before plugging in the charger and then activate wifi on phone. Hope for best.