Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Good news, PowerWall WILL cost $3000 and no markup

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Powerwall Price DOES = $3,000 (Retail)

Seeing that SolarCity was already marking it up 100%+ that had everyone worried that ROI was just tossed out the door. Well, good news, at least one of Tesla's partners (TreeHouse) will be selling the units at it's actual RETAIL PRICE of $3000. yay! they confirmed $3k is the retail price and not the wholesale price, so we shouldn't be seeing markup's from other vendors. If you do, well obviously don't buy from them :)

This is great news. The Solarcity pricing had a lot of people think the retail price would be significantly marked up from the "installer" price. But if you can buy at a store at the announced price, then the economics obviously work better.

I've been in the process of arriving at a now-4kW PV system design, to be installed by SolarCity. They are categorically stating that they'd not have the 7 kWh daily cycling one on offer, atleast for a couple of years. I couldn't care less for the 10 kWh backup one.

Thinking of shelving the PV system installation for now and waiting to see how this shakes out. I do want to use an integrated battery backup system to consume some of the excess PV-generated power myself in the evenings.

In a way, one of Elon's companies is losing my business - for now - because of the shoddy/mixed message about the obvious synergy between the two companies' products.

I've been in the process of arriving at a now-4kW PV system design, to be installed by SolarCity. They are categorically stating that they'd not have the 7 kWh daily cycling one on offer, atleast for a couple of years. I couldn't care less for the 10 kWh backup one.

If your goal is daily cycling and NOT backup power then you should be safe getting a solar-edge based system installed then add the battery later. Based on the few facts released from Tesla we know that the Powerwall will be a DC-coupled ~350v inverter. Solaredge has announced that their integration will be compatible with Solaredge inverters produced since January 2013.

What I can't figure out is how this thing is supposed to work as back-up if there's a grid failure...

Thanks, @nwdiver. Yes, the inverter is going to be a SolarEdge one indeed, as per the proposal. However, I'd rather go all in in one shot than take a bet on this given that I couldn't get a formal commitment of any kind from my SolarCity sales advisor about potential "plug and play" of one or more units of the 7 kWh PowerWall when available.

This time, I'm not going to be one of the early adopters unless one of the following happens:

1) The federal 30% credit for solar ends up on the chopping block depending on the 2016 election

2) Tesla ramps up PowerWall production quickly at the Gigafactory and SolarCity gets on the same page soon

3) I change jobs and potentially lose the benefit of charging both our EVs at work.