Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hardware 3.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've searched a good bit and can't find this exact question discussed. From what I've read, it seems that regular autopilot and highway driving are still accomplished with the "old" autopilot software, not FSD. So it's the same software... But does the car run the software better with the 3.0 hardware such that the performance is better than in a car with 2.5 hardware? In other words, does the 3.0 hardware improve AP performance at all, or just allow you to run FSD software?

I've searched a good bit and can't find this exact question discussed. From what I've read, it seems that regular autopilot and highway driving are still accomplished with the "old" autopilot software, not FSD. So it's the same software... But does the car run the software better with the 3.0 hardware such that the performance is better than in a car with 2.5 hardware? In other words, does the 3.0 hardware improve AP performance at all, or just allow you to run FSD software?
If you only use AP, HW2. 5 is fine.

I think HW3 for AP just gives you a placebo effect making you think it's better.

• Funny
Reactions: rcarpen22
Some FSD software runs on HW2.4, but not FSD v12.

The question about whether HW3 improved on the AP experience in general was discussed a lot here when people started upgrading their cars to FSD, so do some more searching. From what I recall, HW3 didn’t make a huge difference, but if you’re entitled to a free HW3 upgrade, it’s a no brainer.

Which AP computer do you have now in your Model 3, and which AP software do you have (basic AP, EAP, FSD)?

PS: Searching for HW3 will get you many more results than searching for Hardware 3.0, since few people use that term.

HW3, gotcha. Thanks. I have HW2.5 with EAP.
Some owners have reported getting free upgrades to HW3 even without buying FSD, so you might want schedule an upgrade and see if they’ll charge you anything. You already have MCU2 and the necessary cameras, so you wouldn’t need other upgrades. I don’t know if Tesla is still giving owners free 30-day FSD trials, but if they are and you upgrade your computer, you would be eligible.