Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Help Evaluating Battery Analysis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am looking at a used Tesla, model S. 2012, 85, RWD. It has 202,000 miles. Yes I know that is very high :)

I paid the owner to take it to Tesla for a pre-purchase inspection and they looked at a lot of the basics (no major red flags) and then he had them do a battery analysis so I can gauge the current battery degradation. He provided it to me but it doesn’t mean much to me. I guess Im surprised this can’t be distilled down to a cycle count or battery percentage.

Could someone help in understanding it? The car is being offered at a pretty good price so I am just trying to figure out if the battery is good/bad/okay and what I can expect for longevity. Thanks in advance!

——————-

HV Battery Capacity Retention Warranty Check

Vehicle was sold without a HV battery capacity retention warranty.

CAC Fleet Check

The HV battery installed within 5YJSA1DN3CFP02451 has a Calculated Amphour Capacity (CAC) of 190 Ah. This is 4.1 % lower than the average of similar vehicles, which is 198.1 Ah.

This VIN's CAC value is within an acceptable range when compared to its similarly aged fleet. For more information, see Article 5404. Note that CAC data can be inaccurate in certain usage patterns.

The number of drives detected between the selected timestamps was 7.
The average distance per drive was 8.8 miles.

The longest Drive session found between the selected timestamps was 2024-05-05 21:00:48 UTC until 2024-05-05 21:35:36 UTC. The following analysis is based on that event.

Range & Energy used
The vehicle was in Drive for 0.6 hours / 35 minutes.
During this time it travelled 30.0 miles showing a use of 17% displayed SOC, 8.7 kWh and 289 Wh/mi.
Rated range used was 34 miles, it dropped 13% more than distance actually driven.

Driving Statistics
The maximum speed reached during the journey was 96.8 mph.
- The proportion of Drive time spent above 70 mph was 40.8% (14.2 mins).
- The proportion above 80 mph was 18.7% (6.5 mins).
- The proportion above 90 mph was 0.9% (0.3 mins).
The accelerator was pushed aggressively 8 times.

HVAC consumption
HV HVAC used 0.14 kWh which is 1.6% of the total Drive energy, 0.5 miles Rated range or around 4.6 Wh/mi.
Of this, the A/C compressor used 0.14 kWh (1.6%), Cabin Heating used 0.0 kWh (0.0%) and Battery Heating used 0.0 kWh (0.0%).
The average left cabin temperature setpoint was 71.6 degF, the average right temperature setpoint was 71.6 degF.
The coldest ambient temperature was 67.1 degF, the hottest ambient temperature during Drive was 77.0 degF.
The coldest battery temperature was 58.1 degF, the hottest battery temperature was 92.3 degF.
Range Mode was NOT used.

Low Voltage System consumption

The low voltage system (via the DCDC) used 0.25 kWh which is 2.8% of the total Drive energy, 1.0 miles Rated range or around 8.2 Wh/mi.

I am looking at a used Tesla, model S. 2012, 85, RWD. It has 202,000 miles. Yes I know that is very high :)

I paid the owner to take it to Tesla for a pre-purchase inspection and they looked at a lot of the basics (no major red flags) and then he had them do a battery analysis so I can gauge the current battery degradation. He provided it to me but it doesn’t mean much to me. I guess Im surprised this can’t be distilled down to a cycle count or battery percentage.

Could someone help in understanding it? The car is being offered at a pretty good price so I am just trying to figure out if the battery is good/bad/okay and what I can expect for longevity. Thanks in advance!

——————-

HV Battery Capacity Retention Warranty Check

Vehicle was sold without a HV battery capacity retention warranty.

CAC Fleet Check

The HV battery installed within 5YJSA1DN3CFP02451 has a Calculated Amphour Capacity (CAC) of 190 Ah. This is 4.1 % lower than the average of similar vehicles, which is 198.1 Ah.

This VIN's CAC value is within an acceptable range when compared to its similarly aged fleet. For more information, see Article 5404. Note that CAC data can be inaccurate in certain usage patterns.

The number of drives detected between the selected timestamps was 7.
The average distance per drive was 8.8 miles.

The longest Drive session found between the selected timestamps was 2024-05-05 21:00:48 UTC until 2024-05-05 21:35:36 UTC. The following analysis is based on that event.

Range & Energy used
The vehicle was in Drive for 0.6 hours / 35 minutes.
During this time it travelled 30.0 miles showing a use of 17% displayed SOC, 8.7 kWh and 289 Wh/mi.
Rated range used was 34 miles, it dropped 13% more than distance actually driven.

Driving Statistics
The maximum speed reached during the journey was 96.8 mph.
- The proportion of Drive time spent above 70 mph was 40.8% (14.2 mins).
- The proportion above 80 mph was 18.7% (6.5 mins).
- The proportion above 90 mph was 0.9% (0.3 mins).
The accelerator was pushed aggressively 8 times.

HVAC consumption
HV HVAC used 0.14 kWh which is 1.6% of the total Drive energy, 0.5 miles Rated range or around 4.6 Wh/mi.
Of this, the A/C compressor used 0.14 kWh (1.6%), Cabin Heating used 0.0 kWh (0.0%) and Battery Heating used 0.0 kWh (0.0%).
The average left cabin temperature setpoint was 71.6 degF, the average right temperature setpoint was 71.6 degF.
The coldest ambient temperature was 67.1 degF, the hottest ambient temperature during Drive was 77.0 degF.
The coldest battery temperature was 58.1 degF, the hottest battery temperature was 92.3 degF.
Range Mode was NOT used.

Low Voltage System consumption

The low voltage system (via the DCDC) used 0.25 kWh which is 2.8% of the total Drive energy, 1.0 miles Rated range or around 8.2 Wh/mi.
It's good according to the report.

This report doesn't have any options to predict any future performance or longevity.

It's just like the tire pressure is good now but it doesn't tell whether the air is leaking or you'll get a flat tomorrow.

Reactions: Cheburashka
Upvote 0