Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highland suspension on 2019 Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks everyone for the information in this thread, I've been following it closely.

I, like M3 2018, have a LR RWD. So the larger, heavier battery, but only a rear motor. I wanted to double check that these would be the "recommended" highland parts for this setup.

Thanks in advance!
In your case I would go with RWD dampers. Yours is a LR with a heavy battery and no front drive unit. New RWD also has heavy battery (due to LFP chemistry) and no front drive unit. Rear dampers are the same anyway.

Reactions: Piwacet
This is what the front dampers (dual-motor variant) look like:

Attachments

• Front2024Dampers.jpg
    Front2024Dampers.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Informative
Reactions: Dag
For those of you who've successfully replaced the fronts, will it be an issue if my top hats came crooked from Tesla (see attached)? I'm not sure how this will play out during installation, since I need to align the top hat studs into three holes while re-installing the 21mm bolt through the lower control arm. Maybe I need a spring compressor to allow me to adjust the angle of the top hat during installation.

Attachments

• IMG_3161.jpg
    IMG_3161.jpg
    530.4 KB · Views: 1
For those of you who've successfully replaced the fronts, will it be an issue if my top hats came crooked from Tesla (see attached)? I'm not sure how this will play out during installation, since I need to align the top hat studs into three holes while re-installing the 21mm bolt through the lower control arm. Maybe I need a spring compressor to allow me to adjust the angle of the top hat during installation.
That's normal (to a degree) but it may result in the nuts that secure the top hat to the damper shaft bottoming out prematurely. Once you get the damper and top hat bolted up to the car, I would recheck those nuts and make sure the damper isn't going to be clunking up and down.

me thinks it will align itself when you tighten the bolts slowly and steadily around the circle.

I currently have Konis FSD on my 19 Model 3 performance with OEM springs. Did you have the clicking noise / clunk noise over small bumps? I’m having this same issue and not sure why and where it’s coming from? I’m hoping it’s not the shocks themselves.
Did you get the noises figured out?

I just finished installing highland springs and dampers to my ’22 M3 LR. It has been over a month since I test drove a highland so my memory might not be accurate, but the improvementfrom stock is huge. Swallows larger bumps much better and does not have any jerkiness over smaller imperfections. It still has suspension ‘sound’ eg when there is a bump you can still hear suspension ‘thumps’ when it rebounds. This might improve over next weeks as the car is noticeably higher than before, new springs need to settle. I would say this upgrade gives 90% of the highland suspension.

I previously tried KONI Active frequency dampers with original springs. I would say it was mostly as harsh as original. There might have been a defect in the front KONI dampers, in 2000-3000km they developed a clunk and I retorqued everything with no improvement. Switched back to original dampers and clunk was gone.

Part numbers for highland suspension:
1344362-00-D Front Left Spring and Damper assembly (185€)
1344362-01-D Front Right Spring and Damper assembly (185€)
1344462-00-D Rear Damper (140€/piece)
1344472-00-B Rear Spring (120€(piece)
How about handling on the highland suspension versus the old stiffer setup?

Did you get the noises figured out?

How about handling on the highland suspension versus the old stiffer setup?
Handling is a bit worse. It’s softer so it rolls a bit more during cornering and overall feels less percise. But nothing mayor, tradeoff is rather small given how much better overall ride quality is.
If you are not sure - just test drive a new Model 3. It will not be as soft, but about 90% there.