Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How long to get the $50k deposit back?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given the lack of updates about status of Roadster deliveries and also the fact that I could be easily be earning 3.5% on my deposit money, I just called to ask for my deposit back. Took 20 minutes to get someone on the line; after taking my info and then having some muffled conversations with people in the background, the Tesla person came back and said "I'm being told that Elon has said we will deliver these in Q2 or Q3 of this year". I asked her to verify that she meant 2023. More muffled convo in background, and then she says "yes, in 2023".

I'm not sure how confident to be with this info, but I told her I would hold off on cancelling for a few months and see where this goes.

Anyone else checked in on their reservation recently? I haven't seen anything on Twitter or elsewhere to support this.

Last edited:
I’ve been on the fence about canceling so I could buy more TSLA. I got the $50k in the first place from selling some near the top. Anyway, based on those FCC filings my gut is they’re going to announce something on or near the Q1 call. My plan was if the stock hasn’t recovered and there was zero word of the Roadster on the call, I’d cancel. Your post now makes me tempted to wait until the investor event in March. We’ll see. I’m hopeful. I’ve got to imagine they wouldn’t give us much notice before finally delivering these things as to not hurt Model S Plaid sales. Who knows. I hope you’re right!

Reactions: Sporty
What's interesting is that the January investor call will include information on their "Generation 3 Platform". Which I guess may be the CyberTruck, the Roadster and whatever comes next. Just a guess, but maybe this is what has been holding up the production version of the Roadster... Their Gen 3 Platform. Would be pretty cool if this rumor holds up.

Reactions: phantasms
What's interesting is that the January investor call will include information on their "Generation 3 Platform". Which I guess may be the CyberTruck, the Roadster and whatever comes next. Just a guess, but maybe this is what has been holding up the production version of the Roadster... Their Gen 3 Platform. Would be pretty cool if this rumor holds up.
I believe that Gen3 stuff is coming during the March investor day, no? I’d love to be wrong.

Reactions: gaswalla
I have been amazed that none of the influencers, that racked up the free roadsters, have complained at all. I have to believe that they have been compensated with cash or stock. I have received no updates on my cybertruck hundred dollar deposit from three years ago. But still the influencers are saying it should ship second quarter, haha. I ordered the tri motor because I thought it would be the first one they build. It was promised with SpaceX stainless steel. I guarantee you that is pure fantasy.. I don’t think very good stainless steel makes a very good crumple zone.

Given the lack of updates about status of Roadster deliveries and also the fact that I could be easily be earning 3.5% on my deposit money, I just called to ask for my deposit back. Took 20 minutes to get someone on the line; after taking my info and then having some muffled conversations with people in the background, the Tesla person came back and said "I'm being told that Elon has said we will deliver these in Q2 or Q3 of this year". I asked her to verify that she meant 2023. More muffled convo in background, and then she says "yes, in 2023".

I'm not sure how confident to be with this info, but I told her I would hold off on cancelling for a few months and see where this goes.

Anyone else checked in on their reservation recently? I haven't seen anything on Twitter or elsewhere to support this.
"Elon said"? 🤣 Elon said a lot of things, including that it will be a 2020 Roadster. So what? I would have asked if Tesla is willing to put any money on what "Elon said", for example say some written guarantee that if they don't deliver by end of Q3 2023, they will start paying interest on the deposit backdated to the original deposit date. Let's see they believe Elon. I suspect not even a little bit.

Elon will say whatever it takes to separate people from their money, whether customers or investors, but he never backs what he says with any tangible guarantees. Heck, Tesla started recently calling FSD "aspirational long term goal" instead of a "deliverable functionality" to avoid accountability for a bunch of "Elon said" features for which they charged people real money, and years later, after not delivering, don't want to give it back.

In general, Tesla employees are less informed than dedicated forum users. Just saying
They are the technology Walmart greaters. No information or power, other than to tell you what the computer is telling them, and to make excuses. It’s a different kind of car company. Their model believes that their car is so special, it does not need service. I stopped looking at my inbox on the app. It takes a while to get used to a company who markets through influencers

Will it still have fart cold rocket propulsion Or just smell like it?

Um... no.

Any more wild-ass conspiracy theories?
Oh, I have plenty more. How about a new technology that will allow you to be driven around town, send emails and talk on the phone. It’s called mass transit. I’ve even found a video on the hyperloop 2.0. It’s like a bicycle on a hockey table.

So some of the influencers actually got multiple roadsters allegedly. So they won a half $1 million four years ago. The only thing they’ve seen is hype and vaporware. Please point me to one video where there is someone upset about this. It’s one thing to have $100 deposit on a cyber truck for years. It’s another thing to have a company owe you half $1 million with no information of even where they’re gonna build the thing. Oh and it’s gonna fly also but that’s not a conspiracy theory that is just wishful optimism. Elon is not an engineer and should be working at a carnival, or at least throw in a set of steak knives

Also, Elon will criticize the US government all the time. He keeps his mouth shut about China. I am also sure the Chinese have learned nothing about building a Tesla.

Also, the semi is the best vehicle in the world to transport potato chips. It’s a game changer.

So they won a half $1 million four years ago. The only thing they’ve seen is hype and vaporware. Please point me to one video where there is someone upset about this.
They did not win a half million dollars. They won two cars for free, which at the time were estimate to be worth half a million back then, but still don't exist at this point. The cars will appreciate with inflation. Why would they "look a gift horse in the mouth"? If a rich uncle tells you they will give you a free car, and a couple of year later you don't get one, why would you complain? The only thing you might accomplish is the uncle getting annoyed and telling you that you'll have to wait a very very long time, or that you're not getting one at all anymore. Same with the influences, they have absolutely nothing to gain by complaining, but they do have things to lose, like Elon moving them to the back of the line for example, only after Tesla has filled all orders and rewards for others who did not complain.

So no conspiracy theory necessary, simple self interest explains it. 🤷‍♂️

Oh, so you’re saying they had to sign an agreement not to complain. They earned it. They were not gifted from a rich uncle. Biggest conspiracy theory is the Tesla will be matter compatible.
Nope, I'm saying complaining has no possible upsides, but does have potential down sides. so it makes no sense to complain. To complain would be like telling a poker player that you will bankroll them, cover all their losses, but they get to keep all their winnings, should they have any.

Thanks for clearing that up. I agree Elon is very is very petty, and would seek retaliation if his ego is hurt. Who is covering my losses and giving me all the winnings? I am not a poker player, but the deal sounds intriguing, I’m all in. I guess I shouldn’t complain about Tesla service, and just be grateful that I can chat with a bot through the app. It’s so much better than being denied by a real person, the future.

Hi all. Has anyone canceled their deposit and if so how long did it take to get the funds wired back to you? Also, when did you do this? Probably the more recent the more relevant.

In short, while I still want this car, I sold 50 TSLA at $1,000 to pay for the deposit. I'm considering getting the cash back to reinvest in TLSA. Hopefully the appreciation of the stock would more than cover the difference in whatever the cost is over the previous $200k base price that I may or may not have locked in.

Much appreciated!

Best,
Gene
So did you finally cancel and get your refund?