Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y and 3 aftermarket or modified head support / headrest options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Model 3 and Y head supports are what they are. Like many of us, I find them way too hard and poorly designed. Driving on rough roads are a nightmare. I'm 6' 3", good posture, seat is set pretty much like in picture of the blue dummy in Tesla's owners manual. Bending the supports don't solve the problem. Headrest pillows are not my thing, I'm not looking to support my neck.

I've looked for alternative, softer and possibly adjustable headrests for a while and only now found these from Alibaba: https://shorturl.at/ixSTW and https://shorturl.at/syOT7

Has anyone tried these? Or have you found any similar products?

Reactions: Skavatar
i agree. when i test drove a YLR. first thing I noticed was my head being pushed forward and the seat being too concave. i'm 6' tall and have chronic upper back pain and need to keep my neck/upper back as straight as possible.

if you get it I would like to know if they're better than the Tesla headrests. TY

Reactions: koskisolli
Honestly, I'm floored that they allowed stiff, non-adjustable, pain-inducing headrests on the Y.
I'm 6'2" and I couldn't hate my front headrests more - having to adjust to that position
has actually hurt my posture.
I appreciate the links, and I'm also looking into headrests from other cars.

I found these on Amazon and tried them out. Best interior upgrade I've made. They gave me all the necessary adjustments, are much more comfortable and look decent. No more hitting my head to the upper section of those hard original headrests.
IMG_1165_small.jpg

I thought about wrapping the rears with another material but after couple days I think the rear sides look similar to the plastics I have in rear doors (Model Y Shanghai 2021) so decided to keep them as they are. Installation took 5 minutes. I can highly recomment these.

• Love
I found these on Amazon and tried them out. Best interior upgrade I've made. They gave me all the necessary adjustments, are much more comfortable and look decent. No more hitting my head to the upper section of those hard original headrests.View attachment 1036508

I thought about wrapping the rears with another material but after couple days I think the rear sides look similar to the plastics I have in rear doors (Model Y Shanghai 2021) so decided to keep them as they are. Installation took 5 minutes. I can highly recomment these.

I seem to have difficulty finding the link to these Amazon sourced headrests? Could someone kindly point me in the right direction please.

Success: I just read on a youtube comment about simply flipping the headrest around.
It's slightly back, but what a relief to not have my head pushed forward.
There is a guy on youtube who actually bends the bars, which might be a great compromise with the
flip-around.
Anyway, I'm done being in a neck-stress position in my Y.
Hope that helps.
I will probably have to do this myself. The only way I can sit in most cars is foward out of the seat so my head can sit on top of my neck. Makes for good stomach muscles.

i was going to bend the rods as mentioned by a few others, but first i tried putting the head support backwards but it was too far from my head. then i decided to try to use an old pillow.

i cut it in half. took out some of the stuffing. for me the bottom half seen in the pictures is the normal amount of stuffing it came with. i took some stuffing out of the top half making it a little thinner on the top 1/3. this gives me more support in the mid back, a little support in the upper back, and my head is about 1/2" from the head support. i tied it on with a black cable from an old computer mouse. the very top part of the pillow is where my neck is.

i tried with full stuffing, i tried with the less stuffing at the bottom, but found this configuration best for my posture. then i painstakingly hand sewn it closed. then i took an old black t shirt and cut the bottom half off. sewed one end closed, put the pillow in, and sewed it closed.

i put the white lines in the second pic to show how awkwardly curved in the seats are. i have a slight head forward posture and the head supports actually push my head forward even more without the pillow.

20240503_183405.jpg

20240503_183451.jpg

for a visual, cut regular pillow in half (red dash line). removed stuffing from gray area. thinned out the stuffing in the yellow area.

back pillow.jpg

Can you mention the exact name of the product so that we can search for it ourselves, if the mods do not allow the link to be posted? There might be ppl in the future too that might want to check out the product and DMs are not ideal for sharing among us. Thanks.
Of course! Search with these words: "Tesla Model Y Seat Headrest Adjustable Replacement" at Amazon or Amazon co uk. In my case the seller was "Dioche".

Reactions: reefer333_
Success: I just read on a youtube comment about simply flipping the headrest around.
It's slightly back, but what a relief to not have my head pushed forward.
There is a guy on youtube who actually bends the bars, which might be a great compromise with the
flip-around.
Anyway, I'm done being in a neck-stress position in my Y.
Hope that helps.
Sorry, can you be more specific about what you did.