Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Conversion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For several years I've been interested in the issues surrounding Peak Oil, and I've also been interested in performance sports cars. Last year I shopped for a new Lotus Elise, but I ended up getting a used Lotus Esprit V8 instead.

I studied alternate energy quite a bit, and I had particularly high hopes for biodiesel made from algae, if anybody can figure out how to economically grow the stuff and extract the oil from it. It sure looks good on paper, but it's still an unproven technology. I liked the looks of the diesel-powered VW EcoRacer concept car, and I was hoping Lotus would make a turbodiesel Elise.

To the extent that I ever thought about electric cars, I just assumed the needed battery technology wasn't here yet and wasn't coming. Then the Tesla Roadster appeared and hit me like a bolt of lightning. It completely turned around my way of thinking and made me into an EV fan.

I still haven't seen the "Who Killed" movie. In my case it was Tesla that first grabbed my attention, then I became interested in the movie. I've seen the trailer, clips from it, reviews, and interviews with Chris Paine, but I guess I'll have to wait for the DVD to get the whole story. (Here in rural Texas we get to see Cars and Talladega Nights at the local theater, but not Who Killed the Electric Car.)

Will I be buying a Tesla Roadster? I hope so. . . It's quite a bit more money than I've ever planned on paying for a car, but you know it also looks like the most fun thing in the world to drive. The savings on gasoline and maintenance should blunt some of the sticker shock too. I'm planning to save my pennies for a couple of years while waiting for Tesla to expand their service area into Texas. Meanwhile I'll be following all the developments with Tesla -- and other EVs -- with keen interest!

If conversion means, will I convert to buying an EV; I believe the answer is YES; if the vehicle can be had for 50k or less and the batteries will not need to be replaced (helping ensure that the vehicle retains it's value, and to reduce its average cost per mile of operation).

If it's a reasonably comfortable 4 passenger vehicle with luggage space for a trip, and a 500 mile driving range (or 250 with fast recharge ability-I'm sure that charging stations will be available eventually if needed), it will be sufficient as an only vehicle. If I can only use the vehicle as a commuter vehicle, it will greatly reduce the amount of money I would be willing to spend.

You know, it didn't occur to me until much later that the thread title "My Conversion" could be confusing.

Right now I've got my heart set on a Tesla Roadster. But, these are early days. . . Something in the next couple of years could happen to derail that plan, who knows? I do know most definitely that I want my next car to be electric. If that means getting a gasoline-to-electric conversion done, then I might end up going that route.

Right. My conversion to a believer in electric cars.

Do you believe, brothers and sisters? Do you really feel it deep down in your soul? Let's hear it, hallelujah! Let's go forth and preach the gospel of the EV1 and how it died for our sins! The second coming is almost at hand.

Now I'm just being silly. ::)