Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Semi Information

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This video claims to have more current information on the Semi:

Highlights:
  • Change to motor layout: One motor per Axel: Front/Middle/Rear.
  • Only one charge port. (MCS only?)
  • TACC currently active (The rest of AP not yet.)
  • Extra cameras won't be needed on the trailer for AP usage.

Proposed new architecture:
Front axle: 1 efficiency optimized motor. 1 differential. 2x half shafts.
And two CV joints (and much more if they go with independent suspension.)
Additional drawbacks of the driven front axle
  • Increased unsprung weight (some if independent suspension, huge if live axle)
  • Increased turning radius due to CV joint limitations.
The only major benefit seems to be a little more regen but the mid and rear already take most of the weight so not that much
At a glance, it's hard to see how the new design is worth it.

I second this:
Help me understand, am I missing something here?

Last edited:
But there is no differential in the rear DU of a Plaid or the mid axle of the Semi from the Pepsi delivery event.

In the video go to 02:44

Screenshot 2023-03-13 at 2.40.30 PM.png

If something is a fixed reduction gear, that is basically the opposite of the part that is called "a differential". A fixed ratio reduction gear is very straight corresponding thing from a motor to an axle. A differential is a device that lets one drive apply force in a split way to two independently spinning axles, and can dynamically adjust the ratios even as the wheels change to spin at different rotational speeds (like in a curve, where the outer wheel is traveling farther).

Here's a video that shows why differentials are needed and how they are built and how they function. It's a really great explanation, because it builds up step by step from each concept as it gets more complex.

Anyway, just because some person in a video mistakenly used the term "differential" when referring to a fixed reduction gear, it doesn't make that correct.

Last edited:
If something is a fixed reduction gear, that is basically the opposite of the part that is called "a differential". A fixed ratio reduction gear is very straight corresponding thing from a motor to an axle. A differential is a device that lets one drive apply force in a split way to two independently spinning axles, and can dynamically adjust the ratios even as the wheels change to spin at different rotational speeds (like in a curve, where the outer wheels is traveling farther).

Here's a video that shows why differentials are needed and how they are built and how they function. It's a really great explanation, because it builds up step by step from each concept as it gets more complex.

Anyway, just because some person in a video mistakenly used the term "differential" when referring to a fixed reduction gear, it doesn't make that correct.

In Munro's teardown video it does show the "reduction gears" at 04:29 and again they say there is no differential.

He calls it a one-speed gear reduction unit
All of the gears make up the "gear reduction unit", which evere Tesla drive unit has, even the ones in the Plaid and the Semi. The differential is bolted to it for ones that need it.

You can review the Munro tear down of the Plaid rear motor if you want to see the reduction gears, and that there is no differential.

Though they don't really show everything. (But they specifically call out that there is no differential, but you can see the final drive gear there in the gear reduction portion.)

All of the gears make up the "gear reduction unit", which evere Tesla drive unit has, even the ones in the Plaid and the Semi. The differential is bolted to it for ones that need it.

You can review the Munro tear down of the Plaid rear motor if you want to see the reduction gears, and that there is no differential.

Though they don't really show everything. (But they specifically call out that there is no differential, but you can see the final drive gear there in the gear reduction portion.)
The stators in future Tesla's will be hairpin and not the round wire as in the video. Interestingly VW and GM have using hairpin design for years.

How do you know this? The front and rear motors are both PMSM.

I forgot to answer this yesterday.

The Raven generation S & X used a Model 3/Y PM motor on the front and induction on the back (so they use the front motor for efficient cruising). I'm less familiar with the Plaid drivetrain. Anyone know what power distribution they use for highway cruising?

Reactions: Olle
The Raven generation S & X used a Model 3/Y PM motor on the front and induction on the back (so they use the front motor for efficient cruising)
The 2023 Model 3 AWD uses an induction motor in the front.

Yes, I'm well aware. Every front motor on every year of 3 and Y is induction.

I was pointing out that the Raven S & X are different and have a PM motor up front.

Reactions: Olle
Yep! :D

Here's one source Tesla PMSR Motor (Raven) Explained and in the car itself in the additional info section it'll show PM front motor and induction rear. The power distribution at cruising speeds can be observed via OBD scanners. Don't have a link to a video of one of those handy though

I found this for 2019 Model S:

Screenshot 2023-03-13 at 10.29.32 PM.png

Interesting how Tesla has changed their motors and arrangement over the years.

Reactions: Webeevdrivers