Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Possible Hardware Issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Tesla Solar & Powerwall+ systems is about 1.5 years old. Lately, I have noticed dramatic drops in solar production as reported by the Tesla app. These drops happened in the middle of the day with full sun (no clouds or shading). I am not seeing any error messages. Tesla support has been nonexistent as of late (perhaps due to the mass layoffs?). I hope the symptom doesn't point to an inverter issue, but any thoughts about what could be wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_2241.jpg
    IMG_2241.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2242.jpg
    IMG_2242.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2243.jpg
    IMG_2243.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 6
That is interesting. Most happened around 11:15 AM, one was about 12:15 PM.
I had something similar happen last December with one to 3 unexpected drops even though I have Enphase inverters and my Enphase website showed the same dips. Went away and so far, has not happened again.

My Tesla Solar & Powerwall+ systems is about 1.5 years old. Lately, I have noticed dramatic drops in solar production as reported by the Tesla app. These drops happened in the middle of the day with full sun (no clouds or shading). I am not seeing any error messages. Tesla support has been nonexistent as of late (perhaps due to the mass layoffs?). I hope the symptom doesn't point to an inverter issue, but any thoughts about what could be wrong?

Could be an inverter issue (e.g. overheating if coolant runs out), could also be a wiring or MCI issue. You'd have to get your installed to look at it. Have you tried reaching support through the app? You can also try calling 877-961-7652.

If you use Netzero or Powerwall Dashboard, you might see errors logged to identify potential issues. I'm assuming that since was installed 1.5 years ago, this is all Tesla gateways and inverters.

For instance, Powerwall Dashboard gives me a list of what messages have been logged in the last selected time period. This might help you troubleshoot and bring pertinent data directly to Tesla to push for support.

1715863927368.png

Reactions: delightfulnest
I'm thinking 'Inverter/battery info (/system_status)' would provide error codes.

Also Powerwall+ data (/solar_powerwall). Look at the pvac_alerts (inverter) and pvs_alerts (strings) fields for any alert that is marked as true.

Also keep track of the state fields at the top. And you'll want to inspect these both during times of production and while the system is in failure mode at zero production, because the alerts might be getting cleared (which allows your production to resume). You can download the output to analyze it later, feel free to copy it here as well.

The Tesla support team finally responded to my inquiry. They said they had identified the issue and will push a new Powerwall firmware update (version 24.4.4) to my setup. Fingers crossed this will fix it.

Using the suggested API queries, I was not able to identify any possible error codes or output that might point to an error. It could potentially be just a reporting issue within the app.