Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Robotaxi? Really??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Teslas are still great cars. ONE problem is the designs are getting old, with nothing new on the horizon. THE BIGGEST ISSUE, THOUGH, BY FAR, IS MUSK HIMSELF. He is turning people off in droves. Especially young people. I know so many potential buyers who refuse to consider a Tesla simply because of Musk. He's totally forgotten who made him successful.
Frankly, barring a massive surprise, I don't see how Tesla can maintain an edge, or maintain sales for long. Even in California, Hyundai EV's outsell Tesla now.
Truly believe the death of Tesla is simply a matter of time now...as long as Musk keeps calling the shots. The Board must do something. He can't just fire them. It'll take some kahonas, but it's simply time to move on from Musk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bikeman and Ben W
I said Musk can't fire the board. Not the other way around. Of course the board can, and should, fire Musk. Before his behavior becomes even more erratic, impulsive, and well, Trumpian.
What's the plan? Keep trying to sell ancient (in car years) model S and Model X? Keep leaning on simply old (in car years, again) Model 3 and Model Y? Did anyone REALLY think the Cyberflop would be anything but a curiosity?
From what Musk himself has said, there is absolutely nothing on the horizon. Nothing fresh. Nothing new. Just more outrageous promises of full self driving that sound old and tired now.
Where is the leadership?
Where is the vision?
Musk's "vision" seems limited to his failed 55 BILLION dollar compensation package, and droning on and on about Full Self Driving and Robotaxi's.
Unfortunately, the new innovator in the EV world is Hyundai. They're certain to be my next purchase.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ben W
I said Musk can't fire the board. Not the other way around. Of course the board can, and should, fire Musk. Before his behavior becomes even more erratic, impulsive, and well, Trumpian.
What's the plan? Keep trying to sell ancient (in car years) model S and Model X? Keep leaning on simply old (in car years, again) Model 3 and Model Y? Did anyone REALLY think the Cyberflop would be anything but a curiosity?
From what Musk himself has said, there is absolutely nothing on the horizon. Nothing fresh. Nothing new. Just more outrageous promises of full self driving that sound old and tired now.
Where is the leadership?
Where is the vision?
Musk's "vision" seems limited to his failed 55 BILLION dollar compensation package, and droning on and on about Full Self Driving and Robotaxi's.
Unfortunately, the new innovator in the EV world is Hyundai. They're certain to be my next purchase.
Very sadly agreed with much of this. The refreshed Model 3 may be the brightest point in the current lineup; all the rest are in dire need of something new. (Cybertruck doesn’t count.)

Robotaxi as a concept is probably just as important as Elon thinks it is, but realistically it won’t be ready for 6-8 years. The company seems to be betting the farm on it being ready in 2-3 years. That is a catastrophic miscalculation.

If tomorrow I saw the headline “Tesla board fires Musk; rehires Tinucci as CEO”, that would make me very happy.

Reactions: Bikeman
Robotaxi as a concept is probably just as important as Elon thinks it is, but realistically it won’t be ready for 6-8 years.
I doubt that it is as important as Muck thinks it is. I don't hear a lot of people saying "I'm just getting killed by what I spend on Uber and Lyft!" In New York, the subway is a bargain, and Seattle has very good bus service. Getting around with Uber and Lyft, biking, walking... loads of ways to get from here to there. Who needs robotaxis?

AI enthusiasts can whip themselves into a frenzy regarding all the things that can be automated. "Just imagine! We can put all the truckers out of work! We can fire all the cab drivers! We can fly to work in our personal air transport devices!" Someone who scores high on the narcissism, Machiavellian, and sociopath scales can convince himself/herself that they are THE ONE who can accomplish this futuristic thing, and that therefore their stock price should be 100, 200, 300 times earnings.

I worked with AI in the first round of interest (mid-eighties) and the projections then from the people spinning for VC funding sounded just like the projections now. What has changed dramatically in the 40 years since is the willingness of people to swallow hype and empty promises, and to view ultra-high PE ratios as "normal".

Robo taxis important? Nah. Just sounds important. I'd rather chat with my Lyft driver, and am happy to tip my driver, knowing that many people are having a hard time making ends meet.

I doubt that it is as important as Muck thinks it is. I don't hear a lot of people saying "I'm just getting killed by what I spend on Uber and Lyft!" In New York, the subway is a bargain, and Seattle has very good bus service. Getting around with Uber and Lyft, biking, walking... loads of ways to get from here to there. Who needs robotaxis?

AI enthusiasts can whip themselves into a frenzy regarding all the things that can be automated. "Just imagine! We can put all the truckers out of work! We can fire all the cab drivers! We can fly to work in our personal air transport devices!" Someone who scores high on the narcissism, Machiavellian, and sociopath scales can convince himself/herself that they are THE ONE who can accomplish this futuristic thing, and that therefore their stock price should be 100, 200, 300 times earnings.

I worked with AI in the first round of interest (mid-eighties) and the projections then from the people spinning for VC funding sounded just like the projections now. What has changed dramatically in the 40 years since is the willingness of people to swallow hype and empty promises, and to view ultra-high PE ratios as "normal".

Robo taxis important? Nah. Just sounds important. I'd rather chat with my Lyft driver, and am happy to tip my driver, knowing that many people are having a hard time making ends meet.
You are right. On reflection, I don't think Robotaxi (in the sense of replacing Uber and Lyft) is as important as Musk thinks it is, although not of zero importance. But I do think that personally-owned L4-capable cars [which is what I was conflating Robotaxi-as-Uber with] will be a huge deal, for both safety and convenience.

If I'm visiting another city or country, I'm just as happy to have a human drive me around, although I wouldn't mind a driverless taxi for boring routes. But closer to home, I'm very much looking forward to being able to go on e.g. a family roadtrip in my own autonomous car, and not have to keep my eyes on the road at all times instead of engaging with my family. (Or surfing the web, watching a movie, etc.) In other words, my autonomous car will replace my own unpaid job of staring at the road for hours on end. I think that's a pretty nice and important feature.

You are right. On reflection, I don't think Robotaxi (in the sense of replacing Uber and Lyft) is as important as Musk thinks it is, although not of zero importance. But I do think that personally-owned L4-capable cars [which is what I was conflating Robotaxi-as-Uber with] will be a huge deal, for both safety and convenience.

If I'm visiting another city or country, I'm just as happy to have a human drive me around, although I wouldn't mind a driverless taxi for boring routes. But closer to home, I'm very much looking forward to being able to go on e.g. a family roadtrip in my own autonomous car, and not have to keep my eyes on the road at all times instead of engaging with my family. (Or surfing the web, watching a movie, etc.) In other words, my autonomous car will replace my own unpaid job of staring at the road for hours on end. I think that's a pretty nice and important feature.
Yes, a level 4 (or especially 5) car would be very nice, and probably far safer than human-piloted cars. Even without the benefit of swarm communication, cars being able to look all around all the time should improve safety. As an old codger, I find that my processing power is not what it used to be, but I remember some white-knuckle driving from decades ago where it would have been nice to see all around all the time, instead of swiveling my head around.

Swarm communication should, in many locations, eliminate the need for traffic lights and stop signs. With accidents reduced by 90%, people could feel safe in much smaller vehicles that could get 10 miles per kilowatt hour instead of 3-4. (In fact, I have such a vehicle in my shop.) Smaller vehicles also consume less energy in their manufacture, and take up less space on the roads, so traffic could flow more freely and some asphalt parking acres could be replaced with trees. Owners could spend travel time reading, catching up on work, enjoying the sights, chatting with other drivers...

Imagine if Tesla had a leader interested in 1) making really good electric cars 2) outfitting those cars with good driver assist features to include wipers that work properly and TACC that functions correctly, 3) providing good ergonomic solutions instead of distracting bells and whistles, 4) building the infrastructure to feed these great cars, 5) making restitution to all the owners who paid for fake full self-driving software, 6) providing great customer service, and 7) starting work on developing a viable plan to develop a level 5 swarm-enabled personal car, probably working with a consortium of car companies, universities, and government entities.

I could get enthused about that.

That sounds better to me than a come-from-behind competition with Waymo, Zoox, Argo, Motional, and the rest.

Reactions: Ben W