Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scroll wheels and other UI items misbehaving with high cabin temperatures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2016 S 90D is exhibiting odd behavior from the scroll wheels. If the cabin temperature gets around 85 F or higher the scroll wheels stop working. Also the on the control screen the charge door cannot be opened unless I select the charging screen from the top menu and select the "open charging door" several times. I have been chasing this problem for a couple of weeks to find the circumstances that it can be reliably demonstrated... I think the problem is rooted in the cabin temperature. Early in the day everything appears to work fine, both scroll wheels and steering wheel switches operate as normal. I park at work for a few hours and the inside gets warm, then the steering wheel controls become inoperative. I was zeroing on the hardware electronics in the steering wheel when I also noticed the Charge Door operation was also misbehaving from the touch screen. the Charge door is fine in the morning but after the cabin warms up the charge door operation from the main control screen (with the top view of the vehicle) becomes non operative. If I then select the charging app I can open the charge door.. This is more indicative of a software glitch, however, because of the apparent temperature dependence it points to a hardware problem.. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this? Maybe after a software update? I think I will have to hold off on a service request until it becomes a hard persistent failure.

The steering wheel roller/buttons are a known bad part, and many have replaced them at least once. As far as the charge door, I don't think I have ever used the center console to open the charge door. I use the button on the wall connector / Supercharger handle, or push the door and it pops open. No sense in using the app or the center console, when you are at the charging door anyway to plug in the charger handle.