Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Buellton, CA - McMurray Road (LIVE 6 Jun 2024, 20 V4 stalls)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Buellton is getting closer. All but four of the towers are installed and looking complete. The wire hasn't yet been pulled to the four nearest the DC cabinets. All cabinets are bolted in place with the DC units still in plastic covers.

Attachments

• IMG_5582.jpg
    IMG_5582.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5581.jpg
    IMG_5581.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5583.jpg
    IMG_5583.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 14
Stopped by the Buellton SC yesterday and found that the missing four towers near the DC cabinets have been installed. The covers are off the DC cabinets BUT i hadn't noticed earlier: there's no cables installed !! Guess they do that during commisioning. We're like really close.

Stopped by earlier today and was very surprised to find three guys, all with M3's working on the towers at Buellton. I asked one guy what they were doing and he said checking over the wiring (guess they were ensuring the contractor put 'em in right. He said that they worked for Tesla and i said "I thought all the Supercharger people got laid off." He said "nah, that was only the top level folks. ?!? The "hoses" (cables for the towers were due tomorrow, Friday. I asked if they came from Buffalo and he said he had no idea.

Attachments

• inside V4.jpg
    inside V4.jpg
    777 KB · Views: 5
  • V4 Guts.jpg
    V4 Guts.jpg
    724.3 KB · Views: 5
We are SO close to being close! The cables went in either Monday or early Tuesday, but there's no power (PG&E ?). My comments; at first i thought the connectors were somehow locked into their cradles, but i found that you just need to be a bit forceful in pulling them out. The cables are longer, but i don't like the way you have to walk around the backside to get the cable connected. Guess this has to do with the off brands not having their charge ports where Tesla put theirs. Takes a little getting used to. PG&E is probably the hold up in getting the transformer hot. Then does the Tesla crew need to come back for commissioning?

Attachments

• Dead!.jpg
    Dead!.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Plugs iin.jpg
    Plugs iin.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 4
  • cablesconnected.jpg
    cablesconnected.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 3
We are SO close to being close! The cables went in either Monday or early Tuesday, but there's no power (PG&E ?). My comments; at first i thought the connectors were somehow locked into their cradles, but i found that you just need to be a bit forceful in pulling them out. The cables are longer, but i don't like the way you have to walk around the backside to get the cable connected. Guess this has to do with the off brands not having their charge ports where Tesla put theirs. Takes a little getting used to. PG&E is probably the hold up in getting the transformer hot. Then does the Tesla crew need to come back for commissioning?
Thanks for the regular updates! I'm going to be in the area for a wedding at the end of June and am sure hoping this will be open by then. I've been to this site a few times in the last couple of years and it was always painfully slow -- looking forward to the new pedestals and faster charging speeds!

EDIT: I went through this thread again and realized I posted almost the same thing a few posts up. Again, very appreciative of the updates.

Where is a picture of the new 2000kVA transformer? No transformer means it’s not just waiting for pge to turn it on. 10x 150kw V2 is actually 5x 150kw cabinets or 750kva total. No why the old transformer is being used.

You have posted lots of pictures but none of the new transformer. Only the one from VV.

Where is a picture of the new 2000kVA transformer? No transformer means it’s not just waiting for pge to turn it on. 10x 150kw V2 is actually 5x 150kw cabinets or 750kva total. No why the old transformer is being used.

You have posted lots of pictures but none of the new transformer. Only the one from VV.
MrBrock: i was also questioning the xfrmr. I do not believe the old unit was changed out and that what's there is still the original. Was it originally over sized? Did PG&E slip in at night and upgrade/replace it? Next time i stop, i'll see if i can photo the xfrmr nameplate.

MrBrock: i was also questioning the xfrmr. I do not believe the old unit was changed out and that what's there is still the original. Was it originally over sized? Did PG&E slip in at night and upgrade/replace it? Next time i stop, i'll see if i can photo the xfrmr nameplate.
The new transformer should be there (1500 kVA)and plenty capable for new equipment. The old transformer was changed out because it was too small for the new amount of charging stalls.

Now it’s showing as Schrödinger’s charger. It’s now shown as open, but no stalls are shown as working. We won’t be able to know which state is correct until someone plugs in.

View attachment 1054250It looks like it’s now Schrödinger’s charger. Not listed as temporarily closed, but still described as 10 broken chargers.
I see the circle/slash icon with temporary closure in my app.

Interesting that the Tesla app is showing "150 kW max". I've been secretly wondering for weeks if the new V4 hardware could go online with limited power using the transformer from the previous V2-based installation. Hey, it's never too early to speculate!

In any event, it's great to see this Supercharger site making progress!
No, they cannot and will not use the old transformer. And it shows V2 because it hasn’t been updated to V4 because it is not complete. When they finish it and provision the new V4 equipment the app will get updated. No need to speculate.