Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Telsa Wall Connector (Gen3) commissioning problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed the Gen3 wall connector yesterday. I am an experienced electrical/computer engineer. Installing such a simple product is a easy job for me, usually.

After the installation, I follow the commissioning instructions on the small booklet (Installation Guide inside the packaging box). I connect the WiFi from my iPhone and visit http://192.168.92.1 from the Safari browser. It's vert slow and after a long time, only a picture showed up. I use my laptop for the connection, I got the information that I need to power cycle the wall connector or press the button on the handle for 5 seconds. I tried both ways multiple times, and use different phones and computers, but it never worked.

I googled it, that was supposed for me to setup the charge current and restrict what vehicles it can charge.

I bought some $10 smart pugs, and their setup is smoother than this $450 charger.

I installed the Gen3 wall connector yesterday. I am an experienced electrical/computer engineer. Installing such a simple product is a easy job for me, usually.

After the installation, I follow the commissioning instructions on the small booklet (Installation Guide inside the packaging box). I connect the WiFi from my iPhone and visit http://192.168.92.1 from the Safari browser. It's vert slow and after a long time, only a picture showed up. I use my laptop for the connection, I got the information that I need to power cycle the wall connector or press the button on the handle for 5 seconds. I tried both ways multiple times, and use different phones and computers, but it never worked.

I googled it, that was supposed for me to setup the charge current and restrict what vehicles it can charge.

I bought some $10 smart pugs, and their setup is smoother than this $450 charger.
I just did it recently too. It's definitely not as simple as it could be. Putting my phone on Air Plane mode (Data off) helped. May have to manually connect to the Wall Connector's WIFI first, once to page asking for your WIFI''s password, switch back to your WIFI.

I have installed the Gen3 Wall Connector by myself. I followed the instruction on the booklet to connect its WiFi and to log onto https://192.168.92.1. However, it always fails.

I found that some information said I need to use Tesla One app for this. However, that app is for Tesla employees and partners only.

I am able to add the Wall Connector to my Tesla app. I can set the charging schedule, etc. However, I can not set the charge current. I am using a 50A circuit breaker. I would like to limit it to 40A or below. The default is 48A.

I know I can set the current from my car. However, if someone changes the car setting, it can be dangerous.

Does Tesla purposely block regular users from commissioning wall connector?

I am able to add the Wall Connector to my Tesla app. Not easy though. It keeps failing until I remove the Tesla app and reinstall it.

Now, I can set the charging schedule, set the access control, etc. However, I can not set the charge current. I am using a 50A circuit breaker. I would like to limit it to 40A or below and the default is 48A. I know I can set the current from my car. However, if someone accidentally changes the car setting, it can be a fire risk.

........... I can not set the charge current. I am using a 50A circuit breaker. I........
Gonna need to use the Tesla One app. Three days ago, I wanted to change the charge permissions to allowed vehicles by VIN. So at this time, only my car can charge with my TWC. Well, after trying different ways to access my TWC with no success, I download the app and signed on (while still on the TWC Wi-Fi) as a partner using my tesla account creds. Took all but 5mins to make the changes I needed. Everything you were able to see and access before the old way is there plus you can commission other products like PW and Gateways. I wish Tesla would announce changes like this! Hell, the website still says to access the TWC via web access!!....