Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Autopilot Full Self Driving Month Trial April 2024. Pretty Good!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love my FSD except for the following:

1. Left turn - seems like it will hit the curb on the driver side while turning. Acceleration also is scary.
2. Does not recognize lane ending till actually the lane ends.
3. After reaching the destination- doesn’t know what to do.
4. Suddenly thinks that the highway speed limit is reduced (it is not) and slows down to the new speed limit. Navigation problem?
5. Though the exit is a short distance away (1-2) miles, changes lane to the faster lane (may be because the car in front is going slower than its liking).
6. Doesn’t like when the highway is up and down (not potholes). Slows down when it is not able to see the full stretch of road ahead.
7. Auto park is slow. Sometimes it just quits when doing its job well. Not sure why.

Waiting for the upgrade to see how many of these get fixed. Supposed to be out this week.
It would help if you included the version you are running. I am on 12.3.6, and it performs all of the things you mention just fine. Except #3. It is supposed to just stop, so you can get out of the vehicle. You have arrived. Yes, I would like it to pull in to my driveway by itself. Maybe next year.

The difference is dramatic. On version 11, it was generally terrible, such that I rarely used it locally. Version 12 OTOH, is amazing. I use it nearly all the time, even on short local trips.

The only problem I see is, It is so good, that I worry about losing my "hand flying" skills.

Last edited:
Reactions: rhumbliner
We just got our update and free trial: v12.3.6
We made two trips with it and then shut if off. It was quite impressive what it could do, however it also:
  • Misread a route sign for 110 that was partially obscured as a 10 mph speed limit.
  • Hung in the left lane with cars behind us that wanted to go faster.
  • Crawled up to stop signs pissing off everyone behind us.
  • Started to make an illegal right turn on red - there was a sign right in front of us.
  • Started to move over to the right lane so it could go faster when there was a flashing police car in the breakdown lane (illegal in MA)
  • Waited, then started to make a left turn from a stop sign when a car coming from the left was signalling for a right turn (OK), but the car right behind was not signaling (not OK) and went straight after the first car made a right. I like to avoid T Bone accidents myself.
Overall, it requires too much attention to avoid illegal and/or dangerous moves. It seems little more than a parlor trick at the moment.

IMHO they've got a VERY long way to go to Full Self Driving.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
We just got our update and free trial: v12.3.6
We made two trips with it and then shut if off. It was quite impressive what it could do, however it also:
  • Misread a route sign for 110 that was partially obscured as a 10 mph speed limit.
  • Hung in the left lane with cars behind us that wanted to go faster.
  • Crawled up to stop signs pissing off everyone behind us.
  • Started to make an illegal right turn on red - there was a sign right in front of us.
  • Started to move over to the right lane so it could go faster when there was a flashing police car in the breakdown lane (illegal in MA)
  • Waited, then started to make a left turn from a stop sign when a car coming from the left was signalling for a right turn (OK), but the car right behind was not signaling (not OK) and went straight after the first car made a right. I like to avoid T Bone accidents myself.
Overall, it requires too much attention to avoid illegal and/or dangerous moves. It seems little more than a parlor trick at the moment.

IMHO they've got a VERY long way to go to Full Self Driving.
You are warned that it will make mistakes. It never had the ability to read no turn on red. You just have to hover over the brake, or the right scroll wheel to take it out of the turn. Some stop signs are slow to approach, but you can tap the go pedal if you feel like it needs to get on with it. Emergency vehicle situation is always a stop, evaluate and proceed.

The misread route sign is unusual, and clearly a mistake. Yeah it makes mistakes, that's why you have to pay attention.

If you want to add stuff, how about not stopping for an oncoming stopped school bus, red lights and stop signs extended. All that being said, I think it is terrific. Version 12.3.6 is amazing in my book. I use it for almost all drives. Version 11 was inconvenient to use on city streets.

Is that glass half empty, or half full? :cool:

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I finally got the free trail month today. Nice new depictions. I have not tried it out yet, but will over the weekend
HI J. Just want to add that my wife measures the success/failure rate of FSD in terms of "Blood alcohol level". :)
When FSD first came out, she gave it a BAC of .15 (in most states a level of .08% is considered drunk.) :eek: So the car was totally wasted on FSD.
A couple years later, it got better to the point that is was .10, still drunk, but not unconscious. :oops:.
A year or more ago, FSD got better to where it was about .07; still drunk, but could drive ok in most cases.
Now she says it is more like .03, performs a LOT better and drives surprisingly well in most scenarios, yet can still make a mistake at the wrong time.
She wants it to be SOBER before she completely trusts it. I use it when FSD and I both have had a glass of wine. :rolleyes: