Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im surprised there is not more widespread coverage, and discussion of, and frankly anger about the US government just handing the largest loan in their history to Ford because Ford have been so spectacularly clueless about EVs until now.
This loan is 20x the size of the loan the govt gave Tesla. What the hell is so special about Ford that they deserve this, rather than Lucid, Rivian or Tesla?
It smacks of extreme corruption to me, and pouring good money after bad. At the very least, it should have been conditional on firing the entire board of directors for gross uselessness in the obvious, well-signaled face of the EV transition.
I'm furious and I'm not even a US tax payer. I suspect ford's advertising dollars will help them ensure the news is buried in the back pages so voters do not notice...

Just wait until they cut the check to Mary...

I'm not sure I've seen this commented on, but one possible effect of the various automakers now agreeing to adopt Tesla's NACS "plug" could be a DECLINE in sales for the competition in the short term. I mean, do you REALLY want to buy your new Mach e or Equinox next year with a CCS plug knowing the NACS is coming on the heals of it. Who the heck wants a ChaDemo equipped car in 2023 (or 2022, 2021, etc. for that matter)? Sure the government has mandated CCS be on all the new subsidized chargers, but I could even see that changing in another year or so (and Texas requiring NACS on them in Texas is yet another nail in the CCS coffin) - once the government realizes NACS IS the actual standard (vs. CCS).

Flash forward 5 years and you are selling your EV - Is CCS what your prospective buyers want?

Anyone able to explain the "Golden Cross" discussion? Folks seem to see this as a significant event and I am utterly clueless.

On another note, a lot of speculation on what will drive Tesla's value going forward i.e. FSDb, bot, energy, etc etc.(not saying I disagree)

The things that I really latch onto are the gen 3 vehicle(s) and CT. These seem to be more concrete changes taking place with fairly well defined timeframes. It's hard for me to imagine these don't have drastic effects on share price as production ramps.
4680. 4680. 4680.

The competition is coming … and it is the government.

Very weird story since they admit terms were not disclosed and they're completely guessing that there actually are any at all (besides requiring repayment of the money)--- their only evidence there ARE any strings is citing OTHER loans- from a completely different loan program (CHIPS) from a completely different agency (Commerce, not Energy), made to a completely different industry (silicon chip makers).

So reads more like trying to make up a controversy they have no actual evidence for.... Hilariously the story then goes on to quote the UAW president directly contradicting the story "The federal government is pouring billions into the electric vehicle transition, with no strings attached"

I'm not sure I've seen this commented on, but one possible effect of the various automakers now agreeing to adopt Tesla's NACS "plug" could be a DECLINE in sales for the competition in the short term. I mean, do you REALLY want to buy your new Mach e or Equinox next year with a CCS plug knowing the NACS is coming on the heals of it. Who the heck wants a ChaDemo equipped car in 2023 (or 2022, 2021, etc. for that matter)? Sure the government has mandated CCS be on all the new subsidized chargers, but I could even see that changing in another year or so (and Texas requiring NACS on them in Texas is yet another nail in the CCS coffin) - once the government realizes NACS IS the actual standard (vs. CCS).

Flash forward 5 years and you are selling your EV - Is CCS what your prospective buyers want?

I agree and just want to add that even before the announced move to NACS, having CCS already was affecting their sales with people that actually did research to buy a car, however, with this announcement I think the reality set in woth most other consumers that are otherwise clueless with this stuff.

I mean, the government got it back with interest- that's better spent than a LOT of government money :)
Yeah but it could have been entirely written off as well. If the loans weren't risky they could have gone to the market. Not saying I was against the old loan, or even this one, but the US government is taking on risk in order to encourage the transition.

If government want to accelerate transitions to EVs, why not give cheap loans to companies who actually exclusively make EVs? The current system seems to be 'do nothing, sit back and make more ICE cars, because if you ever find you are totally outgunned by Tesla, the US taxpayer will bail you out'.

There have to be consequences for totally ignoring a gargantuan shift in the market, and willfully continuing to stick to polluting vehicles. If there are no consequences to such awful management, then why pretend its a free market at all?

Was the lending of 9 billion dollars part of bidens manifesto? has he proudly held a press conference to hand it over? so everyone can see that Ford get bailed out again?

Sounds kind of bearish to me. I expect full self driving and robotaxi to be realized long before 2030 and the stock price to be well above 1500 by then.

Also, I for one really I enjoy TrendTraders posts. Wish he would explain what his technicals say a little more. I find his post to be a lot of fun. He may not be right short term but longterm I think he will be.

If government want to accelerate transitions to EVs, why not give cheap loans to companies who actually exclusively make EVs?

Tesla and Fisker both were original recipients of loans from this program.

Fisker went bankrupt and the government lost a ton of money. Tesla of course repaid theirs early.

Many other electric vehicle companies have applied, but most either got rejected for not being financially solvent enough to qualify or ended up bankrupt before they could work out the details (Aptera, Brammo, Bright Automotive, and Coda Automotive to name a few)

The current system seems to be 'do nothing, sit back and make more ICE cars, because if you ever find you are totally outgunned by Tesla, the US taxpayer will bail you out'.

A loan is not a bailout. Especially when it has solvency requirements to get the loan. Which these do.

Was the lending of 9 billion dollars part of bidens manifesto?

The program the loan was issued under was signed into law by George W Bush.

Last edited:
Sounds kind of bearish to me. I expect full self driving and robotaxi to be realized long before 2030 and the stock price to be well above 1500 by then.

Also, I for one really I enjoy TrendTraders posts. Wish he would explain what his technicals say a little more. I find his post to be a lot of fun. He may not be right short term but longterm I think he will be.
My divesting strategy with TSLA is to start selling covered calls at strike prices that I'm willing to sell tranches at starting at 500/share and doing tranches of 1000 shares for every $100/share increase (500, 600, 700, etc..) until I've sold all but 1,000-1,500 shares which I plan to just hold forever for sentimental value more than anything else.

With this divesting strategy, I'll exhaust the last of my tranche sales in the 1300 range so I'll likely be out before 1500/share comes around. Maybe I'll just sell those remaining 1,000-1,500 shares if TSLA does in fact hit that 1500/share price. If TSLA hits all of these divesting milestones, there's simply no need to take any risk. Just take proceeds and put it into passive income that generate 5-7% that will more than cover my annual expenses. Tesla would have to be doing absolutely unreal things in it's business that are showing up in the earnings for me to not stick to my divesting strategy.

I'll of course be ecstatic if that scenario plays out but it'll be a bittersweet thing to sell of the last of the shares.