Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Turning signal button "stuck"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately, my new steering wheel introduced (or kept, perhaps) another problem. The push button in the right scroll wheel does not work as expected.

You would expect that pushing the button elicits a response exactly when the button clicks. But it ain't so. I can push it until it clicks as often as I want without the slightest effect, other than the click. Only when I push it hard, it works "normally".

I have ordered another service because of this. Could you check yours and tell me how it works? Testing is possible without driving by putting it into forward gear, ready to drive, without strapping in and without pushing the accelerator. When I push the scroll wheel until it clicks, nothing happens. When I push hard enough, I get a screen message.

Unfortunately, my new steering wheel introduced (or kept, perhaps) another problem. The push button in the right scroll wheel does not work as expected.

You would expect that pushing the button elicits a response exactly when the button clicks. But it ain't so. I can push it until it clicks as often as I want without the slightest effect, other than the click. Only when I push it hard, it works "normally".

I have ordered another service because of this. Could you check yours and tell me how it works? Testing is possible without driving by putting it into forward gear, ready to drive, without strapping in and without pushing the accelerator. When I push the scroll wheel until it clicks, nothing happens. When I push hard enough, I get a screen message.
When I push my right scroll wheel inwards after turning the vehicle on or putting it in drive with my foot on the break nothing happens.

If I push harder multiple times it once brought up the voice command (symptom of false sensing too close to the microphone button) and then something to do with a drive assist function but no click sound at all no matter how many times I press it inwards.

As previously explained, our 12/2023 manufactured M3, delivered Feb 2024 presented with faulty turn signal buttons and so did the steering wheel replacement have faulty buttons. The car’s been laid up for weeks in our garage with no further solution yet from Tesla.

The left turn signal button on my 2023 Model S yoke wheel didn’t always work, so Tesla replaced the yoke. Other Model S/X owners have reported similar issues. Sorry to hear that Tesla hasn’t addressed that in the new 3.
FWIW, the stalks on both my 21 MY and 23 M3 are spotty sometimes. I don't think it's a switch issue, i think there's something in the software that's busy doing something else some times and doesn't "listen" to the switches.

They work a majority of the time, but there have definitely been times when the initial activation didn't work and I've had to do it again. At least dozens of times over the past couple of years.

FWIW, the stalks on both my 21 MY and 23 M3 are spotty sometimes. I don't think it's a switch issue, i think there's something in the software that's busy doing something else some times and doesn't "listen" to the switches.

They work a majority of the time, but there have definitely been times when the initial activation didn't work and I've had to do it again. At least dozens of times over the past couple of years.
I don't doubt that, but least in my case replacing the yoke helped. On a couple of occasions since then, the switch didn't work, but as you said, it was probably being "ignored" rather than not functioning. With my original yoke, the switch seemed to fail more often when using AP than when driving manually, which suggests a software issue.

• Informative
Reactions: Tha_Ape
I don't doubt that, but least in my case replacing the yoke helped. On a couple of occasions since then, the switch didn't work, but as you said, it was probably being "ignored" rather than not functioning. With my original yoke, the switch seemed to fail more often when using AP than when driving manually, which suggests a software issue.
I asked Tesla tech department if there were any possible calibration possibilities from their connectivity in maybe solving the buttons randomly failing but they quickly ruled that out. They did check vehicle data remotely, after multiple button failures, admitting problem requiring the steering wheel be replaced.

I’m convinced the buttons themselves are totally unreliable to act as on/off switches meeting their most fundamental purpose. If this essential signaling service is being compromised by software seeking to do other things, then that will most likely impede the core task of the buttons to ensure reliable right/left signaling. If this is the case, Tesla would have already rolled back software actively compromising the buttons.

Solved!

Tesla issued this solution for Model 3 turn signal problems:

Hand Signals.jpg

Picked up my Tesla Model 3 dual motor last week. Overall happy but I do encounter an issue frequently with the right turn signal (indicator). It does not always press down and activate. This is really concerning as it does not allow you to indicate and cross lanes and by the time you react to a second press (always works second time) its too late to change lane and need to check blind spot again. It's happening on avg around 30% of the time. Tesla tried troubleshooting over mobile but now have me booked in for an appointment in 2 weeks time. Has anyone else had this issue and then had it resolved? This issue has nothing to do with where you position your thumb as it happens in random areas on and around the arrow. So strange!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2024-05-18 at 2.31.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2024-05-18 at 2.31.36 AM.png
    183.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Informative
Reactions: Adam3 and afadeev
Mine work 95% of the time. That 20th try I get nothing. I thought that these were capacitive buttons, but I guess not. I will give it a few thousand miles and see if it gets any worse. I live in south Florida and turn signals just confuse people anyway.

The buttons are misdesigned and will not work reliably, for example, when your finger was lightly rested on a button.

I got a new steering wheel, but the problem is still there.

An additional problem in my case was that the button in the right scroll wheel was insensitive. Pressing until it clicks has no effect. I always have to press with double force to make it work. Service is scheduled to replace the right buttons and scroll wheel module.