Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upcoming Audible App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently listen to audiobooks via Bluetooth. The disadvantage is that I can't change books or get an audiobook started without stopping the car.

Apparently, Audible will soon be supported natively. That's great, but there's no way I'll spend $15 a month for Audible when I can get audiobooks elsewhere for free.

Are there any lower cost ways of listening via Audible?

Audible will only play books you've bought through their storefront as far as I know, I don't believe there's any way to sideload books you've bought elsewhere. They do run promotions from time to time, $0.99 for 3/months, $50/year. Maybe keep an eye out for one of those?

Just checked, looks like they've got a $0.99/month for 3 months deal active right now: Audible Premium Plus Membership (New Subscribers/Members) $1/Month for 3-Months

I currently listen to audiobooks via Bluetooth. The disadvantage is that I can't change books or get an audiobook started without stopping the car.

That's not accurate.
You can start/stop any BT stream, at any time, including while driving.

Apparently, Audible will soon be supported natively. That's great, but there's no way I'll spend $15 a month for Audible when I can get audiobooks elsewhere for free.

Premium connectivity is $9.99 / month, not $15.
Audible can be free, or paid, depending on whether or not you also have Prime, or want to buy extra credits for books not included for free.
Audible Premium Plus Annual with 24 Credits works really well for me. YMMV.

Yeah - continue BT streaming.

I wonder whether I'll be able to download books and listen in places where there is no cell coverage.

You can do that with Audible app on your phone - download books to the device at home (e.g.: over WiFi), and listen in areas w/o cell coverage.

a

• Disagree
Reactions: Wyomingtim
That's not accurate.
You can start/stop any BT stream, at any time, including while driving.
True, but what I said was that you can't change books or start a new book. That's rare, but sometimes I get bored with a book, and want to listen to a different one.
Premium connectivity is $9.99 / month, not $15.
What I said was, "there's no way I'll spend $15 a month for Audible." The $15 is the monthly cost of an Audible subscription.

I appreciate your thoughts.

True, but what I said was that you can't change books or start a new book. That's rare, but sometimes I get bored with a book, and want to listen to a different one.

What I said was, "there's no way I'll spend $15 a month for Audible." The $15 is the monthly cost of an Audible subscription.

I appreciate your thoughts.
You don’t need an audible subscription to listen to book you already own

[...]"there's no way I'll spend $15 a month for Audible." The $15 is the monthly cost of an Audible subscription.
Audible has many subscription levels, not just $15/month.
The cheapest one is free, or included for free for Prime members. Not sure exactly which way it is.
It goes up from there:
1717035739111.png
1717035766585.png

You can stay on the "free" tier, and listen to the included library. Or buy book a-la-carte.
Or level up to any of the above plans.
Up to you.

BT works for me. In all cars.
I really don't care about imbedded apps within a car ecosystem, as I stream things (books, audio, etc.) off my phone between cars with Car Play, Android Auto, and the Tesla walled-garden.
I think on all cars the ability to continue streaming whatever I listened to before (aka "hit Play") is an option from the cars' infotainment screens.

YMMV,
a

• Love
Reactions: PianoAl