Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VCFRONT a210 coolant Valve Calib

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Responding / Following-up on my own post here. I went in for the diagnostic today about the a210 code. I checked in and before they even brought the car back they updated my estimate/diagnostic suggesting a Superbottle replacement. I gave the go-ahead and they had it done in about two hours.

I took it apart when I got home to double check the work (trust, but verify). I am a bit disappointed to see they didn't drop the pan below before draining the fluid, evident by the coolant spilled all over below. They didn't spill it all, but a good amount. I suppose that's to be expected for them to get it done in two hours.

Cool thing is, they gave me a 2021 MX with ludicrous mode and FSD for the afternoon around Vegas :p damn that was fun. When I got the notification it was ready I reviewed the estimate. It was calling for $913, including a $205 "diagnostic fee." I messaged the service rep and asked to get that removed, since the car hadn't even been pulled in the back before they recommended it. They took it off, so it was $708 for the job. I'm happy with that price.

It now passes the thermal performance test, and I'm happy to know everything is functioning correctly.

Attachments

• 20231214_151223.jpg
    20231214_151223.jpg
    367 KB · Views: 104
  • 20231214_151233.jpg
    20231214_151233.jpg
    321 KB · Views: 70
  • 20231214_155141.jpg
    20231214_155141.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 42
Responding / Following-up on my own post here. I went in for the diagnostic today about the a210 code. I checked in and before they even brought the car back they updated my estimate/diagnostic suggesting a Superbottle replacement. I gave the go-ahead and they had it done in about two hours.

I took it apart when I got home to double check the work (trust, but verify). I am a bit disappointed to see they didn't drop the pan below before draining the fluid, evident by the coolant spilled all over below. They didn't spill it all, but a good amount. I suppose that's to be expected for them to get it done in two hours.

Cool thing is, they gave me a 2021 MX with ludicrous mode and FSD for the afternoon around Vegas :p damn that was fun. When I got the notification it was ready I reviewed the estimate. It was calling for $913, including a $205 "diagnostic fee." I messaged the service rep and asked to get that removed, since the car hadn't even been pulled in the back before they recommended it. They took it off, so it was $708 for the job. I'm happy with that price.

It now passes the thermal performance test, and I'm happy to know everything is functioning correctly.
Glad you got it corrected to your liking. Which Vegas SC did you go to?

My 3 is early 2018. I just learned about the service menu and then found the VCFRONT_a210_coolantValveCalib and VCFRONT_a135_coolantLevelLow alerts. From reading this thread it sounds like the 5-way valve is at the root of my alert.

How can I find the list of vin's that were involved in the 5-Way Valve Actuator, SB-18-18-001 recall?

The car was in for assorted service items many times during it's warranty period but the 5-Way Valve was never changed. Now that the car is out of warranty is Tesla obligated to honor the SB-18-18-001 for the 5-way Valve Actuator?

My 3 is early 2018. I just learned about the service menu and then found the VCFRONT_a210_coolantValveCalib and VCFRONT_a135_coolantLevelLow alerts. From reading this thread it sounds like the 5-way valve is at the root of my alert.

How can I find the list of vin's that were involved in the 5-Way Valve Actuator, SB-18-18-001 recall?

The car was in for assorted service items many times during it's warranty period but the 5-Way Valve was never changed. Now that the car is out of warranty is Tesla obligated to honor the SB-18-18-001 for the 5-way Valve Actuator?
I'm having a hard time locating that TSB, but I recall it was ONLY for 2017. Even my March 2018 M3 LR didn't qualify.

On another note, I'd be apprehensive to drive before checking just how low that coolant is. It's 7 10mm bolts to take the frunk out and look at the reservoir. Best if luck to you!

Reactions: Joseph Sanders
Just had the this alert code repaired at the Plano, Texas service center a few weeks ago.

At first it was the low coolant level alert so I topped off coolant and was passing the thermal test, then after 10,000 miles it started failing the thermal test but no leaks.

The technician replaced superbottle, refilled coolant and and recharged A/C system for about $709 total and the code hasn’t came back.

I did get a 2 new alert code while supercharging 1,000 miles later and could not supercharge or slow charge at all but I don’t think it’s related.

BMS_a167_SW_FC_Partial_Weld BMS_a063_SW_ChargePort_Fault

IMG_3604.jpeg

Just had the this alert code repaired at the Plano, Texas service center a few weeks ago.

At first it was the low coolant level alert so I topped off coolant and was passing the thermal test, then after 10,000 miles it started failing the thermal test but no leaks.

The technician replaced superbottle, refilled coolant and and recharged A/C system for about $709 total and the code hasn’t came back.

I did get a 2 new alert code while supercharging 1,000 miles later and could not supercharge or slow charge at all but I don’t think it’s related.

BMS_a167_SW_FC_Partial_Weld BMS_a063_SW_ChargePort_Fault

View attachment 1015433
Dang! Did those codes later clear or are you still unable to supercharge?

Dang! Did those codes later clear or are you still unable to supercharge?
Had to have the fast charge contactor and charge port door replace for $866 total. Not sure if the coolant lines touches that part due to the bad valve.

I’m currently at 118,511 miles and do go on a lot of cross country road trips with unlimited supercharging.

ASSEMBLY - FAST
CHARGE CONTACTOR
- HIGH VOLTAGE
BATTERY(1095145-00-
J)

Had to have the fast charge contactor and charge port door replace for $866 total. Not sure if the coolant lines touches that part due to the bad valve.

I’m currently at 118,511 miles and do go on a lot of cross country road trips with unlimited supercharging.

ASSEMBLY - FAST
CHARGE CONTACTOR
- HIGH VOLTAGE
BATTERY(1095145-00-
J)
To bad it's not a part of the HV battery warranty although the contactors are inside the HV battery assembly

Reactions: K3vin11
In case anyone is still having this problem, I have some useful info. I want to preface this by saying I am no Tesla Repair Tech, but I have worked on many cars, electrical, etc. I have a 2018 Model 3 Long Range with a a210 Valve Calibration error. It fails battery health test along with the other coolant one. After reading this forum and the nearest Tesla dealer being 2 1/2 hours away from me I decided to do it myself. After using Tesla’s Service manual (mostly), I was able to remove the valve actuator WITHOUT draining coolant. After removing I decided to find the power and ground pins and trying to move the valve manually by supplying 9V. It would catch sometimes, however not always so it wouldn’t open the valve at some points. And since I knew that it was broken anyway I might as well take it apart. After inspecting the gears inside the valve actuator it turns out that inside there are 2 plastic gears, and 2 metal gears along with an electric motor with a spin gear. The main gear that actually rotates the valve was stripped. Pictures included of everything including gears. I will say Tesla has not been helpful however I’m probably going to order the part on eBay since service is NOT reaching out or helping in anyway before I decided to do this. Hope this helps someone. And hopefully I can get either Tesla or find one on eBay fast.

Attachments

• IMG_0698.jpeg
    IMG_0698.jpeg
    510.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0699.jpeg
    IMG_0699.jpeg
    455 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0695.jpeg
    IMG_0695.jpeg
    597.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0694.jpeg
    IMG_0694.jpeg
    556.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0693.jpeg
    IMG_0693.jpeg
    634.5 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0700.jpeg
    IMG_0700.jpeg
    890.8 KB · Views: 26
I got the dreaded CVFRONT_a210_coolantValveCalib inside the service mode. It's not present outside of the service mode. The coolant tank seems to be full. Does anyone know what happens if I just ignore it? Will it do damage to battery or something? I will monitor my wh/m to see if it degrades. I don't drive long distance or supercharge.

I got the dreaded CVFRONT_a210_coolantValveCalib inside the service mode. It's not present outside of the service mode. The coolant tank seems to be full. Does anyone know what happens if I just ignore it? Will it do damage to battery or something? I will monitor my wh/m to see if it degrades. I don't drive long distance or supercharge.

I've had this error in service mode for over a year now (as you can see in my posts in this thread). I've completely ignored it and haven't had any issues as far as I can tell. Going on 100k miles soon. I'm not paying Tesla $1000 to fix something that should cost way less and isn't a critical need.

Reactions: flybuzz
i had the same problem with error a210 and yesterday i replaced the superbottle and filled up with coolant. after that both pumps were extremely noisy. i installed the old pumps and so far the error is gone for the time being.

I will refill the AC with 660/680g later and then check everything again and get back to you.

short update. i have filled the ac and the error message a210 has now disappeared.

I now have the error a135 coolantlevel low and do not know where the sensor is exactly. the coolant has the correct level.

does anyone know where the sensor for a135 is?

thanks
sven

short update. i have filled the ac and the error message a210 has now disappeared.

I now have the error a135 coolantlevel low and do not know where the sensor is exactly. the coolant has the correct level.

does anyone know where the sensor for a135 is?

thanks
sven

GUID-119E69AF-0EDE-4261-A1A7-CE7659B812E4-online-en-US.jpg

That's where the sensor and connector is located. Since you replaced the superbottle yourself, I'd check if you missed to reconnect that connector. Or if you didn't, if it's actually fully connected.

The noisy pumps you mentioned is because of trapped air in the system. When replacing a superbottle it's best to do a vacuum refill of the system to get as much air out of the system as possible, while filling it up. Also you have to run coolant air purge routine afterwards. You don't want air in the system as this can create new issues eventually.

Reactions: Gtech
GUID-119E69AF-0EDE-4261-A1A7-CE7659B812E4-online-en-US.jpg

That's where the sensor and connector is located. Since you replaced the superbottle yourself, I'd check if you missed to reconnect that connector. Or if you didn't, if it's actually fully connected.

The noisy pumps you mentioned is because of trapped air in the system. When replacing a superbottle it's best to do a vacuum refill of the system to get as much air out of the system as possible, while filling it up. Also you have to run coolant air purge routine afterwards. You don't want air in the system as this can create new issues eventually.
thxs. i will try tomorrow...

I am wondering .... your actuator was replaced and still got issue w/5-way valve; is it possible the valve was stuck ? either hard stuck or just too difficult for the actuator to move it ?
I have had VCFRONT_a210_coolantValveCalib errors initially which rapidly developed into VCFRONT_a159_coolantValveFault. Car went in limp mode so brought it into service.
Tesla replaced the whole superbottle. I suspect the actuator change alone wouldn't have helped and issue was probably with the valve.

I have the old superbottle with me as I requested it to be kept for me for inspection. Need to find some time to put this guy on the workbench and dismantle it. I've read about possible small leaks of coolant past the valve as a possible cause.
I would like to find the nature of this premature failure; sounds like a fault on Tesla as my M3 (2020 delivered around xmas 2019) with the use of sub-par components just like the suspension control arms BJs.
But this time car is OOW which costed me $1K to get fixed with no details from the diagnostic phase other than "superbottle defective, needs replacement".
Very frustrating and unacceptable major component failure IMHO for a 2020 car w/50K miles.
Just curious but did you already inspected the old superbottle?