Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why not replace the small back window with plexiglass to prevent break ins?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my random, probably stupid musing of the week...

Instead of adding volumetric sensors or coming up with locks for the folding seats... why not just offer the option to replace the small corner window with plexiglass? Other cars have used this material for the exact same application, like the Seat Leon.

I can see a kickstarter with potential here. I will just take 10% of the gross. You are welcome.

seat-leon-fr-291009-(59).jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: Lucky_Man
You realize then they would just break the larger window right next to it, right? In an odd way, they are doing you a favor breaking only the small window because it costs less to fix.

What we need is a way to securely lock contents or have a compartment (perhaps the foot well area) where valuables can be kept and locked. As long as there is no way to secure valuables, we will continue to see such breakins.

I wish there were more aftermarket options available for converting the footwell area to a lockable storage compartment.

Also Tesla making the rear seats fold down ONLY when the car is unlocked would also be helpful.

The goal is to make things as difficult as possible and at the moment with being able to so easily fold down the rear seat, it's just too easy.

Reactions: Ande and Lucky_Man
This is my random, probably stupid musing of the week...

Instead of adding volumetric sensors or coming up with locks for the folding seats... why not just offer the option to replace the small corner window with plexiglass? Other cars have used this material for the exact same application, like the Seat Leon.

I can see a kickstarter with potential here. I will just take 10% of the gross. You are welcome.

seat-leon-fr-291009-(59).jpg
Hmmm... thinking of a 'shaped charge' on a titanium plate...

I know, that'd be illegal. But still...

• Funny
Reactions: ThisIsTrue
You realize then they would just break the larger window right next to it, right? In an odd way, they are doing you a favor breaking only the small window because it costs less to fix.

What we need is a way to securely lock contents or have a compartment (perhaps the foot well area) where valuables can be kept and locked. As long as there is no way to secure valuables, we will continue to see such breakins.

I wish there were more aftermarket options available for converting the footwell area to a lockable storage compartment.

Also Tesla making the rear seats fold down ONLY when the car is unlocked would also be helpful.

The goal is to make things as difficult as possible and at the moment with being able to so easily fold down the rear seat, it's just too easy.
TY! Sent your ideas to Elon's 'suggestion box'!

Reactions: PhilDavid

If I am not mistaken, the reason why Teslas are a big target for this kind of break in is because with other cars you have to break the entire rear window. If you make it so you also have to break the entire window with a Tesla also, at least you are no longer the more appealing option. So, more expensive repair but lower chance of it happening.