Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Australian Model 3 Highland experiences, tips, tricks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_0603.jpeg

Port Noarlunga, South Australia.

It’s finally drizzling! Maybe rain on the way!

This may be a silly question but does anyone else's highland make a loud clunk sound when you wake it up? It sounds so similar to the front trunk opening that I've gone and checked that twice only to find that it's still closed. Seems to happen when it's been completely asleep for a while and I walk up and open the door or boot, and it kind of sounds like it's coming from the battery.

Normal or problem?
I heard that when I went to inspect my MYLR.

This may be a silly question but does anyone else's highland make a loud clunk sound when you wake it up? It sounds so similar to the front trunk opening that I've gone and checked that twice only to find that it's still closed. Seems to happen when it's been completely asleep for a while and I walk up and open the door or boot, and it kind of sounds like it's coming from the battery.

Normal or problem?
Normal. See here

Can’t remember what thread people were asking about this but here is my outlet in the shed with UMC mount.

The UMC sits in that cradle to stop it flopping around, and takes the strain off the cable.

The rest of the cable loops around the socket holder keeping everything neat and keeps pubes out of the plug. Easy to remove and throw in the boot if I need it, my daily charging is usually out front on the Wall Connector.

IMG_0590.jpeg

Can’t remember what thread people were asking about this but here is my outlet in the shed with UMC mount.

The UMC sits in that cradle to stop it flopping around, and takes the strain off the cable.

The rest of the cable loops around the socket holder keeping everything neat and keeps pubes out of the plug. Easy to remove and throw in the boot if I need it, my daily charging is usually out front on the Wall Connector.

View attachment 1048546
I don't think that's a caravan plug? Looks a lot like what the fish and chip trailer uses to hook into a site box in town while it's waiting for development. Two big 4ft wide friers, a bunch of heat lamps, fridges. They have two plugs.

Reactions: dronus
The model S looks so good. It’s like being punched in the face by something really classy.
There was a McLaren looking thing with a Tesla badge on the front too. Not sure what that was about.
I took a photo of this at Alexandria when I picked my M3H up and asked about it. Original Roadster with something like 30 Kms on the odo.

Attachments

• 20240516_094421.jpg
    20240516_094421.jpg
    567.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Love
Reactions: dronus
I have a question about Kms range. Why does the Long Range Highland only charge to 534 Kms at 100% when the advertised range is 629?
The range they have to advertise by law is the WLTP tested range.

This is tested in conditions that you are unlikely to experience on the road, basically a best case scenario.

Tesla use EPA tested range in the car display which is a little more realistic but even then depending how you drive the car and the conditions, that will vary.

Best advice, switch to % and don't even worry about km range. The car will do that for you.

Here's an update to my service appointment which happened yesterday.
  • Drop off and Uber to/from work was a great experience.
  • In-App updates were great, could even see door and boot opening and closing as they worked on the car.

The reasons for the service appoint were for:
  • Parcel shelf not installed properly and rear shelf vibration from bass
    • A new shelf was installed (more on this later)
  • Front Passenger door vibration from bass
    • Tech identified the cause was due to window switch housing, which is to be replaced at my home by mobile service tech.
    • Additional insulation installed into this door
  • Right haptic indicator not registering once in a while
    • Tech removed wheel and button housing
    • Tested buttons off the wheel and found no issues
    • Will continue to raise a bug with timestamps as they occur
Following this service, they booked a mobile tech to replace the front passenger window switch at my home, and I was happy with that.

Before I left the service centre I tested the speakers and realised the vibration is still there in the rear shelf.

With a flat EQ, the vibrations were noticeable:
  • From ~20 out of 32 notches (approx. 2/3 of full blast), listening to Psy Trance and DnB.
  • From ~16 out of 32 notches (approx. 50% of full black), four on the floor 909 kick in the beat maker (a good tool to use, as you can focus on the kick only)
Tech came back out for me to demonstrated, and acknowledged the vibrations.

The mobile service booking was cancelled and I'm returning the car mid-June to sort out the vibration. First addressing the front passenger window vibration, then focusing on the rear parcel shelf.

Note: always run your own tests where possible as you pick up the car.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mes1
Here's an update to my service appointment which happened yesterday.
  • Drop off and Uber to/from work was a great experience.
  • In-App updates were great, could even see door and boot opening and closing as they worked on the car.

The reasons for the service appoint were for:
  • Parcel shelf not installed properly and rear shelf vibration from bass
    • A new shelf was installed (more on this later)
  • Front Passenger door vibration from bass
    • Tech identified the cause was due to window switch housing, which is to be replaced at my home by mobile service tech.
    • Additional insulation installed into this door
  • Right haptic indicator not registering once in a while
    • Tech removed wheel and button housing
    • Tested buttons off the wheel and found no issues
    • Will continue to raise a bug with timestamps as they occur
Following this service, they booked a mobile tech to replace the front passenger window switch at my home, and I was happy with that.

Before I left the service centre I tested the speakers and realised the vibration is still there in the rear shelf.

With a flat EQ, the vibrations were noticeable:
  • From ~20 out of 32 notches (approx. 2/3 of full blast), listening to Psy Trance and DnB.
  • From ~16 out of 32 notches (approx. 50% of full black), four on the floor 909 kick in the beat maker (a good tool to use, as you can focus on the kick only)
Tech came back out for me to demonstrated, and acknowledged the vibrations.

The mobile service booking was cancelled and I'm returning the car mid-June to sort out the vibration. First addressing the front passenger window vibration, then focusing on the rear parcel shelf.

Note: always run your own tests where possible as you pick up the car.
Thanks for this mate, very helpful, I have the RWD so no parcel shelf complaints, its the front passenger door vibration from bass which is exactly same as yourss the issue, the window switch housing, I confirmed this myself

Its booked into for the centre next Wednesday so hope they can fix, on top of this I got the creaky steering wheel as well at low speeds which I flagged to them .

I also have a creaky centre arm-rest, creaks sometimes when opening going up and down, and when lean on it - but they might just say thats normal, grrr my 20K cerato armrest was solid no sound - but I might flag it anyway see what they say,

Any body else have creaky armrests?

I don't have creaky armrests, but I feel as though there is a creak inside my seat which is apparent when making a turn.

It's not loud, very soft, almost like my ears are hallucinating from reading all the comments about creaking. So I'm going to leave it for now.
Yeah defo notice things more if one is looking for them.

On a slightly different note,
I just got asked by a mum if her (shy) kids could look at the car. They were absolutely loving seeing a Tesla up close. One was saying how they are learning “the environment “ at school and she was going to tell her class she saw a Tesla haha. How cool is that, the car makes all people happy.
Of course I made it do the farting noises too, they need to be louder though…

Yeah defo notice things more if one is looking for them.

On a slightly different note,
I just got asked by a mum if her (shy) kids could look at the car. They were absolutely loving seeing a Tesla up close. One was saying how they are learning “the environment “ at school and she was going to tell her class she saw a Tesla haha. How cool is that, the car makes all people happy.
Of course I made it do the farting noises too, they need to be louder though…
Teslas must be foreign in Radelaide ;)